Two things about nimh

cyphercat

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:25 pm
patiodog wrote:
Yeah, it makes me kinda sad about Sonora. We used to get way up into the mountains and look down at the lights of all the valley towns, and at all the stoplights running up to them. There was only one little stopsign back then, and the really big trucks didn't fit under it, and there was no light at night except for the moon and stars and the porchlight. Then the valley towns crawled up, and there's pieces of freeway and stoplights and streetlights and box stores everywhere.

Watched the same thing start to happen to Santa Cruz in 5 years there, and got out of the state.

What part of the North Coast are you on now? Fort Bragg north? Eureka north?

I can imagine it would make you sad to see your little town turn into one of those cruddy valley burgs-- I love the parts of the valley where it's still agricultural and out of the way of development, but the sleazy city parts are pretty grim...

I'm in the Eureka area now, speaking of sleazy cities. Laughing All right, I shouldn't say that about Osso's old stomping grounds, I take it back. It does have its charms, really.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:33 pm
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm only sorry we couldn'a met, Cypher, at least for a minute or two.

I have batches of mixed feelings about Eureka (um, was interested in the North Coast Journal's 10 top stories, aaaack), but it's looking better and better from west Albuquerque, home of zilch sensibility re any kind of urban sanity. Eureka (26,000?) and surroundings MUCH more tuned to the arts than this city of, I dunno, 300,000. But this is primitve urban planning at work here.

Oh, wait, I just know I'm off topic again..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:36 pm
To throw this thread totally in a loop, at least for 30 seconds, did anyone read the bit about the bookstore in Princeton, NJ, going out of business? It is to weep....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:37 pm
But but but, I think both Nimh and Kicky are darling.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm only sorry we couldn'a met, Cypher, at least for a minute or two.

Ack, I know! I can't remember, when did you move? I don't think we missed each other by too much, and I'd have loved to do a gallery crawl with you! <sigh>

Quote:

I have batches of mixed feelings about Eureka (um, was interested in the North Coast Journal's 10 top stories, aaaack), but it's looking better and better from west Albuquerque, home of zilch sensibility re any kind of urban sanity. Eureka (26,000?) and surroundings MUCH more tuned to the arts than this city of, I dunno, 300,000. But this is primitve urban planning at work here.

Yeah, I really meant it when I said it has its charms. It has history, it has some wonderful buildings, an art scene... It just seemed grim the first few times we drove through, before we took a closer look around.

Quote:
Oh, wait, I just know I'm off topic again..

Oops, umm... Hey, how 'bout that nimh! What a dish, eh?! There, back on topic... Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:24 pm
Yeah, the northwest doesn't look too good at first glance. But once you get used to the grayness, it's all right. Henry's flows cheaply, the weather never stops you unless it takes out a road, and the fish kick ass, and the hillsides never die.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:28 pm
I left almost exactly a year ago, something like the 20th of December, through mad storms, nice and dramatic.

Back to Nimh and Kicky - I'm not kidding they are people I really like. I didn't like them less when I saw photos, at all.

But who cares, I could be, oh, no, gawd, I could be a lot of people's grand aunt. I much prefer the nebulous ether of talking between the years.
You will understand this point of view in mere minutes.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:31 pm
Quote:
You will understand this point of view in mere minutes.

Signature line.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 01:44 am
Two things about nimh

1. Knows how to put politics aside

2. Knows the value of humor.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:21 am
Two things abt nimh

1. Needs to get laid properly
2. Needs to contact me for 1 above
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:36 pm
Heh.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:36 pm
Kickycan wrote:
Hey, Nimh, did you notice all the flirting that women used to do with me on A2K when I first came on here? And did you notice how quickly it stopped after pictures of me got posted on this site? What a coincidence, huh? I'm an ugly ****. And I'm not even smart, like you, so quit yer bitchin'!

Damn, I'm a bitter f*cker today.

Oh my! I'm late on this, I saw that the thread has since gone all kinds of directions for some pages, but really! Kicky! Man! Its not true. I havent noticed anything like that at all.

In fact, I distinctly remember when your photographed self started making the rounds - remember that one with the left half of your face (or was it the right one)? People were all over that! It was much grounds for lady flirting with you, I clearly remember that, and rightly so too, cause you looked good. I remember, cause I was jealous. You have that dark handsome thing going on, and a manly face too - nothing goofy or nerdy about it. You can be grateful with it.

I think, if anything, interaction might have dropped off a little later because you all but disappeared for a length of time. Remember all those "Where is Kicky?" posts? (Well, actually, you probably dont because, err, well, you werent here [duh, nimh], but they were there.) And, I mean - I dont know, the forum's grown so big I might just have been trekking in different mountains at the time - but I had the distinct impression that for a long time after that, too, you were only present in the background sorta, drifting in and out. And that has an effect.

I mean, lets be honest - all the flirting thats done here is as much an expression of how available one is - how much of a regular one is on the General forum - as of any, you know, outer or inner attractiveness. If you're around and happy to be frolicked with regularly, then you know, you will be. Whereas if you're only on occasionally, you kinda go off the radar, and, in any case, flirting doesnt really work if you post some flirty offhand remark and the poster in question only sees it a day later, then you dont get this tit-for-tat to-and-fro that makes the General forum fun.

So, I mean - I feel where you're coming from - I think I know pretty much the exact same feeling. But to me, the idea that it was when you posted a picture that the women stopped flirting, just seems.. out there. So in a way its actually instructive, even, for me, to see how far off from reality these self-hating perceptions can drift... and they're totally self-defeating, of course, I mean, in life, generally. Cause they might stop you from even flirting or trying, or may make you give up on, or look cynically at, things that, in fact, might well still have something to them.

(See, I get all this on a theoretic level, or when looking at others. Its realising it about your own self-perceptions thats such a bitch.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:38 pm
As for "never being shy about tossing out your most personally embarrassing thoughts and ideas" in these threads, well, I always thought that was cool about you. Well, it's what I was talking about myself here earlier too. When I'm not in a self-hating mood, I do actually see this ability to - you know - come out even with the most embarassing ****, and talk about your stuff even if its hardly glamorous or macho and it doesnt paint the picture you'd want others to have of you - even if its done just in joshing or joking - as a sign of courage, actually. And as a sign that someone is able to relativate himself, which is also always a good thing (a very good thing, even).

I mean, yeah, there's those who take it (and will deride it) as "whining" (we know what two bitches we talking about), or who see it all as just pathetic self-wallowing. And thats sometimes even done with some agression - at least I was taken aback a little by some of the nastiness dressed up as joky barbs that was thrown at you in that "Where's Kicky" thread. But I think they're totally missing the point - if you can make fun of your own flaws you can hardly be "wallowing" in them - if anything, it shows some ability to look at oneself from the outside that they dont have.

In fact, embryonically at least, I came away with the impression that those who react to it like that, are folks who themselves always keep up this perfected front of being all succesful, all together and balanced or all no-nonsense - no problems with them, oh no, no time for them to be weak! Modern Stepford wives? Well, whatever - perhaps, then, they feel sorta threatened by the shameless flaunting of personal flaws and funninesses you do? You're not supposed to do that, younno! So you get the kind of sanctioning that, say, girls who dress too creatively, or too boldly, also get from their women peers (keep in line, dont give us the feeling that we should perhaps also do it).

But yeah, start your own thread, 'k? This one is for the A2K women to fawn about me (and balm my soul), there's no place for the two of us here! <draws pistol> (kkiiiiidddddiiiiinnnnggg :-D)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
nimh wrote:
Kickycan wrote:
So in a way its actually instructive, even, for me, to see how far off from reality these self-hating perceptions can drift... and they're totally self-defeating, of course, I mean, in life, generally. Cause they might stop you from even flirting or trying, or may make you give up on, or look cynically at, things that, in fact, might well still have something to them.

Kicky did what none of the rest of us could! Get that man a ham! Or something.

(Yes, I saw the penultimate line, but still.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:02 pm
I really wish I had time to respond right now, but unfortunately this damn thing called work is getting in the way of my chit-chat time again. I'll come back later if I have a chance.

So for now, you can all go back to applying your balm to Nimh's...well, you just rub it in where ever he asks you to, okay?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:55 pm
<points where>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:09 pm
nimh wrote:
<points where>

Sorry missed seeing that.

Where was it exactly?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:12 pm
Look for the rash.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:14 pm
patiodog wrote:
Look for the rash.

That's a little too rash for me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:17 pm
dlowan wrote:
Sorry missed seeing that.

Where was it exactly?

<shows again>
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:23:34