Two things about nimh

Joeblow

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:32 pm
Two things about nimh, IMO:

1) He's a gem on the inside

2) He's a total cutie on the outside.

Nimh, I was gonna ask if you were on zyban. I had to take myself off it recently - I was seriously adversely affected.

I felt unpredictable. seriously hostile, irritable, and/or teary. Worse was prolonged feelings of apathy...with an attitude. Not only did I not give a ****, I didn't give a f'king ****. I could go from zero to ten (emotionally) faster than a heartbeat.

A week away from that stuff and I'm feeling myself again.

Not all folks respond to anti-depressants in the same way. Maybe it's time to review your symptoms with the doc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:32 pm
<big ol' hug>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:34 pm
nimh you can always minimize the ugly part with a nice personality; have you tried that? (It worked for me)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:35 pm
Would it help if I said that I like to bang ugly men?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
I killed the thread, didn't I.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:43 pm
You made me laugh... :-)

(I don't think nimh's ugly though. I agree with Joeblow's assessment.) (About the gem/ cutie thing, but the reviewing the prescription thing made a lot of sense too.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:46 pm
<To be honest: sometimes I damn it being a social worker, all those alarm clocks and so ...>

Try to make the best out of it nimh and take it possitive as another point to get up again.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:54 pm
Put it this way Nimh...... you may be ugly, but at least you're not Dutch.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:55 pm
I also don't think nimh is ugly. It's just that I historically find men attractive for non aesthetic reasons, so even if he was ugly, I'd still find him attractive.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:56 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I also don't think nimh is ugly. It's just that I historically find men attractive for non aesthetic reasons, so even if he was ugly, I'd still find him attractive.

I resemble a bulldog chewing a wasp.

Fancy a drink sometime?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:03 pm
Ooooh baby!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:13 pm
Feeling for you out here in the Amreekan breadbasket. I've been there, I return there fairly regularly -- deep-seated malaise and ennui all wrapped up in self-loathing and alienation. Tends to be augmented when in a foreign country, I've found...

This may just be me, but I tend to be worst when I'm relatively physically inactive. Physical jobs or (god help me) exercise have tended to help me snap out of it and back to a heartier sort of happily nihilistic outlook. Cleans out the lungs and the blood, quiets down the muscular boredom that my inactive body is prone to, helps me sleep better, moderates the appetites... Just something that works for me, might or might not do anything for you.

(Can we call you Dumpy Dutchy now?)

[quote]I felt unpredictable. seriously hostile, irritable, and/or teary. Worse was prolonged feelings of apathy...with an attitude. Not only did I not give a ****, I didn't give a f'king ****. I could go from zero to ten (emotionally) faster than a heartbeat. [/quote]

Damn. I've always been like this without chemical assistance.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:38 pm
nimh wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Any history of depression?

Present time. I take Citalopram/Citopram, two a day. Ran out of it on Saturday and only got new ones yesterday, but the doctor says the effect of not taking it shouldnt really be felt that quickly, so I dunno that that is the reason. Tho I'm sure it didnt help.

OK, an SSRI. They can have nasty termination effects, but my experience agrees with your doctor's opinion. One day never bothered me that much, although I've never taken that particular medication.

Have you seen a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner? I saw one about six months ago, she changed my medication, and I'm feeling MUCH better, with fewer side effects. GPs are (in my experience) very poorly trained when it comes to antidepressants.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:00 pm
Oh nimh.

Im sorry you are feeling so bad.

But I gotta tell ya, there isnt an 'ugly' thing about you. And i have seen enough pics Wink

Sometimes, I think it is just natural , we beat up on ourselves and go through a self esteem slump.

I hope your slump goes away soon.
You shouldnt be so hard on yourself. You are loved by many..
even if we are anonymous..
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:01 pm
All good advice, but the bottom line is you need to get laid, man.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:57 pm
Re: Two things about nimh
nimh wrote:
1) I'm feeling ugly. Have been feeling, particularly ugly.

2) I feel like a lost teddybear.

So there.

Ewwww....I hate those times. I know it is REALLY bad when I can walk into a bookshop and not see a single book I want to read.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Nimh))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

It'll pass...but it sucketh mightily when you are there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
I've noticed my daughter tends to feel ugly (she isn't) when she's depressed and lonely. When she's depressed, she gives off body language (and sometimes actual verbiage) that says, 'leave me alone' and then she feels lonely when people give her what she's asked for. It becomes a vicious cycle with the loneliness feeding the depression, which in turn feeds the loneliness.

nimh, I haven't seen pictures but there's no doubt in my mind that you are anything but ugly - inside or out. I agree with those who've suggested getting on the right/different anti-depressant and maybe doing some talk therapy with someone qualified to help you with whatever is affecting you IRL.

In case it helps, nimh, you're one of my favorite folks on A2K.

<joining soz in sending you a big-ol-hug>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:31 pm
<<<more hugs>>>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:16 pm
kickycan wrote:
Consider yourself lucky. Some peope actually ARE ugly and they have to be reminded of it everyday when they look in the mirror, everytime they see a picture of themselves, every time they go on a blind date and see that first disappointed look on their date's face...

No, thats me. Except I dont go on blind dates (perhaps for that reason).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:35 pm
Joeblow wrote:
Nimh, I was gonna ask if you were on zyban. I had to take myself off it recently - I was seriously adversely affected.

I felt unpredictable. seriously hostile, irritable, and/or teary. Worse was prolonged feelings of apathy...with an attitude. Not only did I not give a ****, I didn't give a f'king ****. I could go from zero to ten (emotionally) faster than a heartbeat.

Well, that sounds like (the worst of) me, allright.

But then I was like that before the Citalopram, too. I mean, thats part of why I started it in the first place. (Well, more than that. Long story.)

It took me a long time before I accepted it. I had this therapist - she was really good. Really, really good. And she gently mentioned it a few times - that medicine could be a useful, you know - supporting strategy, kinda. But I was very, very distrustful of pills. These TV images of Americans on Prozac. All hyper-happy and fake as hell, and try to find your own actual emotions back underneath that. Something like that, that was my image, my dread. (Prejudice, yes.)

After one particular event or crisis I gave in and said I'd give it a try. That was about - I dunno - two years ago? I remember they first prescribed something else, made me panic and throw up (but perhaps that was psychosomatic because I'd been so afraid of what these pills do to you). Then this and went up to 2 a day.

It really helped, especially in the beginning it made a world of difference. I'd been pretty crazy you know, we both went crazy back in '02. Compared to that... well, feeling ugly isnt quite the same as, you know, being five.

That therapist helped and then the pills helped in establishing some kind of bottom level, some kind of concrete safe-floor, so I wouldnt fall lower than that. Also helped stabilise feelings in general somewhat.

But I;m still a drama king. And my feelings still go starkly up and down. And when I feel lost I really feel desperate - like panicky or helpless. Not as bad as it usta be. But bad enough. Yeah, everything you describe, except for the hostile - I do feel hostile, and angry, but only at an abstract level - not towards any individual person (irritable yes, hostile no).

Yeah. <breaks off train of thought>

One thing is different now though than even in those worst of days. A. and I were a curse to each other but also a blessing. Nobody knows me better than her, and I dare say vice versa (or at least few do). We were very, very close (when we were not fighting). And oh yeah - on this sideline that this thread is actually about - I may always have had a negative self-image (is what I think its called) complex, not believing I was handsome or attractive, feeling (or beating) down on myself - but there was always, no matter how exasperated I may have made A. at times - there was always visible immediate proof that I was wrong. God, she dug me. (And me her.)

Before that too. Compared to some of you I have a pretty tame past. But I also never had all too much reason to complain through my 20s - had my girlfriends, my lovers. I was somewhat of an acquired taste, perhaps - but I wasnt poison.

Now I'm poison. Apparently. At least in that way (everybody does think I'm really nice, really kind, funny too - so "kedves", such a dear.) But its like I'm - a eunuch. I feel like an untouchable. I feel ugly.

And yes, my head/mind of course knows, rationally, that the more I feel like that, the more I will repulse people, that way at least (because you can see/feel it); and the more that happens, the more I feel this way.

Also, something happened about half a year ago that at once dumped me three levels down on my descent on this. That at once made me feel - well, lets just say, before that I never thought as myself as handsome - but since, I only need to look at a woman I like to immediately think: I'm ugly, its hopeless.

Yeah, lets cut that train of thought off there now as well.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:20:25