Rainsoft System....Is it worth it?

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:13 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
... softeners using a Clack valve...

Word on the street:

The Clack valve has a cheap and very noisy drive train that makes a loud chattering sound during regeneration. Owners report this noise is unbearable.
Also, the Clack valve uses locked pre-set programming cycle routines. Customers deserve more flexibility over regeneration cycles and salt usage.

You pay less - you get less.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:17 am
Yeah that's just about verbatim from what Greg CWS with intermounntain water said. They are Erie and Fleck guys selling what sounds like very pricey softeners (conditioners too!) with all types of cutzie names for them and their 'features' while not identifying what control valves they are using.

Have you checked out their web sites? Here's a start.
http://www.intermountain-water.com/RPSG06/rpsg06-01.html

He obviously has old info from a few years ago and he's not fully informed about the Clack line and is only familiar with one version of the Clack WS-1 (yes I read his original statement) but... obviously you've missed something in doing your research on the Clack line.

He had 1 or 2 customers mention the sound of the Clack, I have too. It's like a Harley, a distinctive sound but "unbearable" as you call it obviously having never heard one, no.

BTW, the Clack screw drive of the piston is a much better design than the push pull of the rotary wheel, connecting rod, piston stem Fleck design. There is no piston stem end cap water leaking on a Clack.

As to being "locked into..." anything, that applies to only one circuit board version so he, and now you too, are ignorant of the various versions of the Clack WS-x line. Another glaring failure of the research you've said you did on the Clack line.

I sell the appropriate version for the water quality, type of resin, family size and SFR required. Mostly that is the version that has the same to the minute wide flexibility of setting the length of time for all cycle positions as your/their Flecks etc.. And my customers are as proud as Harley owners.

You keep saying "cheap". You can't get any less quality than in Ecowater products with their ABS plastics!!

Also, the more your customer pays for their softener, the less they have for other things.... and the more you get. No wonder why you call it "a great investment" on their part.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:36 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

He had 1 or 2 customers mention the sound of the Clack, I have too.
It's like a Harley, a distinctive sound but "unbearable" as you call it obviously having never heard one, no.

Thank you for confirming the issue does exist.

Did you send all of your customers that purchased that one circuit
board version a replacement upgrade circuit board at no charge?

BTW, loud pipes piss people off.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 06:23 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
had 1 or 2 customers mention the sound of the Clack, I have too. It's like a Harley, a distinctive sound but "unbearable" as you call it obviously having never heard one, no.

If my water softener didn't go, didn't stop, didn't handle, and made unbearable noise I'd think it might be a Harley.

I have heard a Clack WS1 with my own ears in my home at 2AM regenerating. While my Clack WS1 was not as noisy as the loudmouth I bought it from, it was an annoying sound when regenerating at 2AM.

Now put your ear up to the monitor and you will hear what a Clack WS1 sounds like when regenerating at 2AM...

...vroom, vroom, vroom :wink:
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:02 am
h20man, it's not "the pipes".... it's about the same amount of sound, but a distinctly different sound, than a Fleck 5600, 2510 or 7000.

Some PIA customers like justalurker find anything and everything to complain about and whine for years like an exwife.... h20man has never heard a Clack at all.

Folks, justalurker whined about the dealers and manufacturer of his previous softener too; it wouldn't work, his Clack does or did until he gave it away for as door stop in his neighbor's shed (so he says, but he says a lot that isn't true).
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:29 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

Some PIA customers...

Nice Rolling Eyes

I'm guessing you have never earned any referral business.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:28 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker whined about the dealers and manufacturer of his previous softener too

Legitimate complaints are seen as a customer whining by ethically and morally challenged business people while poor or no service along with verbal abuse are seen by customers as getting screwed. I guess it depends on which side of the kitchen table you're on.

I'll put it in "Harley" terms since Gary seems to like that, but I'm confused because Gary has said many times on this and other forums that no one needs a twin :wink:.

My bad experiences with both a local water treatment pro(not) and a water softener manufacturer exposed me to the "2%ers" of the water treatment business who earn the entire industry a bad rap. 2% is just an arbitrary number but there are a lot of chump softener sellers out there. There are a lot of honest, ethical, and professional people in water treatment out there also. You just have to do your homework to find them.

Both those customer abusive businesses pale when compared to the unprofessional treatment I experienced when dealing with my Clack seller. If I was a PIA customer then I would have expected my Clack seller to decline selling me a softener BUT instead his greed and hypocracy prevailed. My Clack seller was sweet as sugar until after he cashed my check and never provided a detailed invoice or written warranty BTW, just like buying stuff that "fell off the back of the truck" . Is that the mark of a professional or the mark of a softener huckster sitting at the kitchen table or lounging in a motorhome, where ever it's parked Question

While there is a common question on these forums regarding whether to buy water treatment equipment locally or long distance this warning can be unilaterally applied... it's not where you buy, but more importantly WHO you buy from.

H2O_MAN,

Regarding referral business, I refer people to others than my Clack seller and presently there are hundreds of people experiencing soft water without the abuse I endured from my Clack seller. They report that their softeners work fine and to date no one has reported that their water softener dealer has insulted their wife.

Among the things that seperate humans from other animals on the planet is that we are supposed to posses the ability to learn from our mistakes. I learned a lot from my Clack seller and sadly there are those that will learn the same lesson I did. To those that are contemplating such a purchase, look elsewhere... you have MANY other options.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:01 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker whined about the dealers and manufacturer of his previous softener too

justalurker wrote:
My bad experiences with both a local water treatment pro(not) and a water softener manufacturer[/i].

And now you have problems me. You're three for three yet a very unlucky softener consumer!

Or it's your angry spoiled child personality that causes you to refuse any responsibility for the problems you have had with 100% of the dealers and manufacturers you've dealt with over the last 5+/- years.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:23 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
And now you have problems me. You're three for three yet a very unlucky softener consumer!

Or, the real reason...as MANY water treatment customers learn the hard way... the water treatment industry is populated by some (too many) who do business without honor, truth, civility, or ethics.

Every time you rant and rave and insult you impress Rolling Eyes potential customers.

Perhaps, someday, you'll engage in a civil discussion responding to a poster's question without picking a fight with anyone. Until then, continue with the insults... we'll consider the source and ignore the remark, but your combative attitude, insults, and counterproductive posts are getting old.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:36 am
justalurker wrote:
Every time you rant and rave and insult you impress Rolling Eyes potential customers.

Those potential customers, if they don't see through you after reading your posts, they must be the adolescent whinny unreasonable types that then become a PIA customer like you. It's rare that I hear from that kind anymore. Personally, I must be doing myself a service. Thanks for presenting me the opportunity. BTW, my business keeps rollin' along despite your ex-wife like character assassination name calling rantings about me.

justalurker wrote:
Perhaps, someday, you'll engage in a civil discussion responding to a poster's question without picking a fight with anyone. Until then, continue with the insults... we'll consider the source and ignore the remark, but your combative attitude, insults, and counterproductive posts are getting old.

Stevie... (hint hint) since you get so upset and angry, you can choose to make yourself feel better by simply not reading my posts. Or not, it's really your responsibility and up to you.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:10 am
If I engaged in the adolescent, whinny, ex-wife like, character assassination, and name calling that you accuse me of then I'd reply... you have no character to assassinate.

But I don't so I won't.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:04 am
Yep, that's a reply.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 09:00 am
Back on topic ~
Rainsoft System....Is it worth it?

Short answer: No, you can do better.

Long answer: Years ago RainSoft was #1 and #2 with Culligan.
The Brass valve was overly complicated, but it worked very well and you could rebuild it.
The Q was the finest control valve offered by RainSoft and many of them are still in service.
Unfortunately the brass valve is obsolete and no longer supported by the factory with repair parts.

Most RainSoft systems now use a bastardized low-end Fleck 5600 valve... you can do better.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:04 pm
justalurker wrote:
If I engaged in the adolescent, whinny, ex-wife like, character assassination, and name calling that you accuse me of then I'd reply... you have no character to assassinate.

But I don't so I won't.

LET'S KISS AND MAKE UP
Bobby Vinton

Last night we had a quarrel
And I lost my head
How silly of me to say
The things I said

Let's kiss and make up
Why should we break up
Say it's not too late yet
To forgive and forget

Funny but it doesn't matter now
Who was wrong or right
Darling all that matters now
Is that I miss you tonight

Let's kiss and make up
Why should we break up
To forgive and forget

'Cause I'd do anything
To be with you again

Let's kiss and make up
Why should we break up
To forgive and forget
0 Replies

tpets

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:53 pm
I signed
I just signed up for a Rainsoft EC4 and QRS that's a carbon filter and salt filter system, I mainly have hard water 13.0 grains, I also got an extra soap pack...All this for $5695, I jewd him down a little. But damn its a lot of money and the comments here don't sound too good. I'm ok with the money as long as the product works. There is a lifetime warranty also. I went with the one that has a computer controlling it. Did I get screwed? Is it worth the money I spent?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:00 pm
Re: I signed
tpets wrote:
I just signed up for a Rainsoft EC4 and QRS

You could have done better - You do have a 3 day right to cancel the deal if you wish.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:30 am
Yes you are getting screwed, it isn't worth more than $1500 including installation by them. The softener should go for $900 and the RO $275-300 with installation and the soap pack maybe $400 for the 5 year pack but...

IMOit is not really good equipment and no one but them has parts for it and you probably don't have a proven need for the RO and you certainly don't need any soap pack. A two stage disposable cartridge filter with an RO faucet will do to remove chlorine and improve taste and odor.

Call and cancel to order and then send in the cancellation notice by certified return receipt request US mail within 3 business days.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:55 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

Call and cancel to order and then send in the cancellation notice by certified return receipt request US mail within 3 business days.

Yes, you do have a 3 day right to cancel the deal if you wish.
Luckily you purchased the system from an in-home sales person.
If you had purchased the system online - you automatically give up the 3 business day right of cancellation.

One online seller gives buyers an entire 60 minutes to cancel the order and the buyer faces a 6% cancellation fee.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:34 am
LOL... Orders are processed fairly quickly, so to cancel an order is one hour but.... Obviously you missed the part where my customers have a 120 days to return it. Out of 1200+ sales, I've had two returned. Both because they were not aware they had to assemble the unit.

What are your policies concerning cancellation and return?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:57 am
Read the fine print ...
Gary Slusser wrote:
Obviously you missed the part where my customers have a 120 days to return it.

" RETURNS: You have 120 days from receipt of the product to return it. There will be a 15% (percent) restocking fee on all returned product except product returned under warranty claims. There is no return allowed for any special order product. All returned product must be unused and/or uninstalled and thereby in 'as new' condition. Any/all returns must be in the original packaging and include all owner manuals, the packing slip and have a RMA number that we provide. The RMA number must be prominently displayed on the outside of all original packaging and on a piece of paper inside the packaging.

You are required to pay all return shipping charges. You should insure the shipment against loss and/or damage because it is your responsibility until it is delivered to us or our supplier. The 120 day period does not include product returned for warranty claim within the applicable manufacturers' warranty period but the return shipping charges and RMA number requirements do apply to warranted product. We will pay shipping and any handling costs for us to return product to you that is replaced under warranty. Please contact us by email or telephone to obtain a RMA number. All returned product that does not have a RMA number will be refused by us and returned to you at your expense. After receiving the RMA number you must ship the product to the address we provide within the following 15 days or the returned product will be refused. You must provide us a tracking number and carrier used for the shipment.
"

LOL Laughing

What demented lawyer did you hire to write that convoluted concoction of crap?

" Special Orders: A special order is described as any non-stock product. All non-stock special order sales are final and can not be returned unless under a warranty claim. Special orders usually take 7-14 days to ship and may take up to 3 weeks for delivery. "

Drop-shipping product from your supplier directly to the uninformed buyer makes everything you sell a non-stock special order sale.

Caveat Emptor
0 Replies