Question about Resume

Sunrock

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:02 pm
Hi All, I have just submitted a resume for a job and realized there is one thing off on the resume. I know, I know, it should have been airtight before sending it. Here is the misleading info: I have used the title director instead of unit manager. In other words, I wrote correspondence, evaluations, reports, etc for the unit manager and not the director.

My question is-- Can I resend them a resume with the corrected title?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:07 pm
I think at this point just let it slide. If it goes to the interview stage, respond honestly if it comes up. But as far as I can tell it's relatively minor -- you're talking about who you reported to rather than your own job title, right? If so, definitely not worth pointing out that you made a mistake. If it comes up, I think it can just be brushed off with a casual "actually, the title of the person I reported to was 'unit manager;' at any rate, yes, I used Microsoft Word and Excel to create that paperwork..." (Point there is to drop in the correct info in the course of answering a question where it came up and then just keep answering the question.)
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:25 pm
Hi Sozobe, thanks for your response. Definitely, if I get to the interview stage I will tell them. And I am going to make the adjust ment in my resume pronto.

Quite frankly, I don't think they're really offering the job because they have an internal candidate. However, by law they have to post the job. Thanks again, you've taken a load off my mind.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:26 pm
Sounds good. Welcome to A2K, and good luck with your job search!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:27 pm
I agree with Sozobe. It could very well make you look worse if you send a corrected version.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:04 am
Thanks for the welcome, Sozobe.

Shapeless, I agree, I thought about that and that's why I came here, so as not to muddle things up too much. Thanks for your input.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:40 am
Just to also agree with the others. I do my fair share of interviewing and sending a replacement resume would look worse to me. Not sure where you are from or what industry - but I know in my industry that the exact title doesn't matter. In one company a unit manager could mean a completely different level than at an other company - what you call the position isn't as important as the actual responsibilities of the job.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
Interesting Linkat, and it makes sense-- when I was putting together the resume with a certified empoyment counselor (a while ago) she said the same thing. When it comes to putting together a resume I believe there is a lot of leeway as you have pointed out in your example. And, I performed the actual work itself, which was writing and editing for the unit manager.

Even in the practice interview sessions I've attended they always encourage you to answer questions from an angle that is not necessarily the human answer but the expedient answer, the answer that will get the most mileage with the interviewer. In other words, a weakness is a strength, a strength a weakness, etc.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:02 am
Re: Question about Resume
Sunrock wrote:
Hi All, I have just submitted a resume for a job and realized there is one thing off on the resume. I know, I know, it should have been airtight before sending it. Here is the misleading info: I have used the title director instead of unit manager. In other words, I wrote correspondence, evaluations, reports, etc for the unit manager and not the director.

My question is-- Can I resend them a resume with the corrected title?

Thanks.

You could send them a corrected resume, but I wouldn't. Just forget about it.
0 Replies