GA courthouse still displays WWII vets in segregated lists

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 09:23 am
Ga. Display Lists Vets' Names by Race

Quote:
BUTLER, Ga. (AP) -- A display in a central Georgia community divides the names of 800 local veterans into two lists, marked in large type: "Whites" and "Colored."

The display has been in the lobby of the Taylor County courthouse since 1944, honoring servicemembers who fought in World War II. The two lists are mounted side by side behind glass in two large frames.

[/quote.]

They're adding a third, integrated, list, but leaving the originals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 505 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 09:36 am
At the very least they could take down the offending titles.

Sheesh.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:03 am
I don't see why people shouldn't be reminded that Georgia was once a segregated state. How can you keep the memory of segregation alive when you remove all its public manifestations?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:21 am
Should we occasionaly burn crosses in peoples front yards to be reminded of racism and the KKK?

I don't think people need to be reminded. I think it shows that maybe the black veterans still aren't respected as much as the white veterans.

But that's just me.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:29 am
My initial reaction was to agree with Thomas, but Bella's response struck a chord. We don't need living examples of segregated water fountains, Jim Crow railroad cars or other manifestations of "separate but equal" to remember that segregation existed. It was a sign of disrespect to post those segregated lists and it will be a true acknowledgement of the ultimate sacrifice paid by these men to take them down. Neither death nor sacrifice respects the color line.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:04 am
Moving it to a museum would seem to be more appropriate than continuing to display it at the courthouse.

But that's just my opinion....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
DrewDad wrote:
Moving it to a museum would seem to be more appropriate than continuing to display it at the courthouse.

Mine too. One cannot right a wrong by pretending that it never happened. But it does belong in a museum, which is a receptacle of things past. The courthouse needs to represent what is now.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:57 am
DrewDad wrote:

That I could live with.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:21 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Should we occasionaly burn crosses in peoples front yards to be reminded of racism and the KKK?

No -- but neither should you remove any statues of Supreme Court justice Hugo Black, a former KKK member. Declining to revive acute distress is one thing. Rewriting history is another. You can favor one and at the same time oppose the other.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:20 pm
Quote:
One cannot right a wrong by pretending that it never happened. But it does belong in a museum, which is a receptacle of things past. The courthouse needs to represent what is now.

Well spoken, Phoenix.
0 Replies