Infiniti

nimh

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:16 pm
I just saw an ad for a car called "Infiniti".

Why do they give cars such incredibly stupid names?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,434 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:31 pm
The infinity is really quite nice as an automobile, build by Nissan as an up-scale product yet still on a basic Nissan chassis. It may very well be the victim of its own PR. The car is better than the people who do its marketing.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
Re: Infiniti
nimh wrote:

Incredibly stupid? Dunno. I think it's pretty harmless.

Mitsubishi's idea for naming a car "Pajero", on the other hand, was incredibly stupid....

Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:46 pm
Chevy Nova (no va=no go) probably the worst
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:48 pm
Quote:
Mitsubishi's idea for naming a car "Pajero", on the other hand, was incredibly stupid..

Why?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
None of these are nearly as bad as some of the other Japanese car names that don't quite make it across the pond. Take, for instance, Suzuki's Mr. Wagon and Joypop models, and the Daihatsu Nude.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:50 pm
dadpad wrote:
Quote:
Mitsubishi's idea for naming a car "Pajero", on the other hand, was incredibly stupid..

Why?

Well.... in Spanish, Pajero is slang for wanker....

Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:02 pm
old europe wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Quote:

Why?

Well.... in Spanish, Pajero is slang for wanker....

Very Happy

Oh dear!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:18 pm
Back in the '60s, GM's Chevrolet Division was puzzled by the lack of market success achieved in Spanish-speaking regions by their then-new, otherwise popularly received, successful Nova line. Eventually, it dawned on them that phonetically, "Nova" translates from English into Spanish as "(It) Doesn't Go"
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:58 pm
Infinity mean without beginning and without end. Perhaps the car should be called the "Will last over 10 Years" car.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:01 pm
I haven't noticed an 'Infiniti' recently, but the first ones out looked beautiful to me, and were a nice ride for the occasional passenger such as myself.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:34 pm
nimh wrote:

Could be a foul boardroom compromise: Manager one proposes to name the new car "Infinity". Manager two counters with "Grafitti". Egos clash. Managers fight. After hours of bickering, an exhausted board compromises on "Infiniti". Everybody in the meeting knows the name is garbage; but the compromise saves everybody's face. Alternatively, perhaps "Infiniti" can be trademarked while "Infinity" can't? Just guessing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:02 pm
Thomas wrote:
Could be a foul boardroom compromise: Manager one proposes to name the new car "Infinity". Manager two counters with "Grafitti". Egos clash. Managers fight. After hours of bickering, an exhausted board compromises on "Infiniti".

Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:41 pm
Don't all of us think of car names as, ah, bushwa? no allusion to Bush, as I think bushwa happened as a word earlier.
Personally, I didn't hate Infiniti over any other concocted name.
0 Replies