Enough Evidence to Help My Unbelief?

Eorl

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:48 pm
Yeah, cause it started out with such great potential Dys.
Laughing
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:01 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Sure you can. An infant has no understanding of genetics, family, parents, or what a human being is but responds favorably to loving stimuli and quickly bonds to the primary caregiver(s). In comparison to God we are like newborn infants with as limited knowledge comparatively about Him as a newborn has of his/her parent, but we still have a sense of presence and respond favorably to loving stimuli etc.

If you walk through the woods and see a creature that you never knew existed would you question its existence? Wouldn't you accept the reality of it though you don't have a clue what it is? If you found a substance left by some departing space alien and had no clue whether it was animal or mineral or what its function was or whether it was inert, beneficial, or harmful, would you question whether it existed at all?

I do accept that those who have not experienced God have difficulty believing those who have. And that's okay. I cannot prove the existence of God to you any more than you can disprove the existence of God to me. But I believe you can prove the existence of God to yourself.

I don't know, Foxfyre.

It's like you're not paying attention, or something. We're not really having a conversation. It's just me trying to think of new ways to explain myself... But then you keep on going back to the same thing that we both already agreed is not even possible, and so it all starts over again... And I'm doing all the work!

How do you see it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:36 am
Faithfully per her declaration.
0 Replies

sandspider

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:39 am
Erol, You assume God doesn't exist. You assume science can explain everything. You assume I don't know who God is. Why do you place so much FAITH in science. Did you perform the experiments on your own? Or did you read about them in a magazine or book written by people who got paid? Why do they not always agree? Sounds like religion to me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:32 am
Echi writes
Quote:
I don't know, Foxfyre.

It's like you're not paying attention, or something. We're not really having a conversation. It's just me trying to think of new ways to explain myself... But then you keep on going back to the same thing that we both already agreed is not even possible, and so it all starts over again... And I'm doing all the work!

How do you see it?

I thought we were having a conversation, and I'm sorry that you think we are not. I keep going back to the same thing that I know to be true because I know it is true. I sort of have a policy of not agreeing to things I do not think are true.

You suggest that God must be defined in order for us to proceed, and I disagreed and said such definition is impossible. We don't agree, but how is this not responsive?

You say I did not experience something; I say I did. We don't agree, but How is this not responsive?

You suggest that you cannot know that something exists without knowing what that something is, and I explained in some detail that you indeed can know that something exists without knowing what something is. We apparently disagree, but how is that not responsive?

I did let slide your statement (I think it was yours) that you can "see love".

I fully accept that you do not want to accept my point of view on this topic, but I don't accept that we have to agree in order to have a conversation.

But Timber apparently agrees with you and he didn't want to deal with my responses to his post some pages back either. Smile

Maybe it would be more satisfying to you for the the two of you to have the conversation? Smile
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:50 am
Mindonfire wrote:
Because they believe that they have not seen enough evidence to satisfy their questions, who is responsible for the atheist's or agnostics unbelief?

1. Is it because of the failure of the Believer to provide the necessary tangible evidence. And if so, does the responsibility or blame fall squarely on the shoulders of those who are the defenders of their faith?

2. Do many believe that there has been a presentation of ample tangible necessary evidence and those that remain atheists and agnostics just refuse to believe. And if so, does this mean that the responsibility or blame squarely falls on the shoulder of the atheist and agnostic?

Logic and reason are primarily to blame for our unbelief. Why do you suppose that your version of God gave some people the predisposition/religious training/experiences to engender belief, and withheld the necessary qualities for belief from others? Why do you suppose that your God gave some people the skeptical nature/education/experiences to engender disbelief and fails to provide the simple evidence we need to be convinced of his existence?

If God wants us to believe in him, why wouldn't he reveal himself to everyone in the world in an unambiguous and indisputable manner? Why allow so many guesses about his nature to be turned into conflicting religions, and why put so many contradictions in his alleged Holy Word? Case in point: the Bible says both that God cannot be seen and that men have seen him. It seems to me that the demand for "faith without evidence" is Religion's attempt to justify God's continuing failure to do anything that would prove he exists.

If a world in which God exists is indistinguishable from a world in which he doesn't, why would he expect anyone to believe in him without any evidence? The most logical answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything is that God doesn't exist and never has, but the religious establishment has a vested interest (money, jobs and power) in maintaining belief.

Quote:
Just because something is invisible does not mean that it can't be seen.

Laughing Uh, that IS what "invisible" means. Something in-visible CANNOT be seen, but may be inferred by the visible effects it has on other things.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
Foxfyre, I think that we can all agree that you felt something that you interpret as a direct experience of God.

Those of us who have never felt any such Presence and have come (for various reasons) to believe that none of the wide assortment of Gods/Goddesses promulgated by Christian and other religions actually exist, are skeptical of your interpretation, not your experience.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:27 am
sandspider wrote:
Erol, You assume God doesn't exist.

Incorrect - Eorl makes no such assumption, his position quite clearly, and repeatedly expressly stated, is that, by logic, reason, and history, the existence of any gods is extremely unlikely. It is the religionist who presumes to assume.

Quote:
You assume science can explain everything.

Incorrect - Eorl's position is that science provides clearcut, testable, readily verifiable answers where and as it can, drawing from those reasoned, reasonable conclusions - conclusions always subject to refinement and revision - where it may, and forthrightly admits that which it does not know, while religion offers only claim, conjecture and assumption. It is the religionist who presumes to assume.

Quote:
You assume I don't know who God is.

Incorrect. Eorl offers only the observation that your argument proceeds from assumptions ... assumptions you to this point haver failed to justify, therefore, assumptions which for the purposes of this discussion are unwarranted. It is the religionist who presumes to assume.

Quote:
Why do you place so much FAITH in science. Did you perform the experiments on your own? Or did you read about them in a magazine or book written by people who got paid? Why do they not always agree? Sounds like religion to me.

Now here we get to the rub. There is a distinction to be made between "Faith" - most particularly in the religious sense - and concretely understood, experientially derived, tested, and validated confidence in humankind's assembled body of knowledge in context of the manner through which that knowledge has been and is obtained, refined, revised, employed, and ongoingly developed. It is the religionist who fails to make that distinction, and that precisely is the dead end into which the religionist proceeds.

Sandspider, you assume that one challenging your assertions perforce rejects the proposition behind those assertions, when in fact no such circumstance need necessarily obtain and in further point of fact no such rejection has been presented; that which has been requested is that you validate your assertions, thereby validating the proposition from whence proceed those propositions. You have not to this point met the challenge, but rather have brought to the discussion nought but additional unwarranted assumptions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:49 pm
Terry wrote:
Foxfyre, I think that we can all agree that you felt something that you interpret as a direct experience of God.

Those of us who have never felt any such Presence and have come (for various reasons) to believe that none of the wide assortment of Gods/Goddesses promulgated by Christian and other religions actually exist, are skeptical of your interpretation, not your experience.

I have acknowledged your skepticism and fully understand it and have no quarrel with it.

My only fuss with any of this is a presumption that those who claim to have experienced God absolutely have not done so. I can presume that you have experienced God, for instance, and don't remember or failed to understand the experience, but there is no way I could possibly know that for certain as there is no way to prove it. And you can presume that I have not experienced God but only think I have based on your life experience and/or what you have been taught, but there is no way you could know that for certain as there is no way to prove it.

What I am saying is a desire to believe something should not be enough to close one's mind on any subject. But that which we have experienced does tend to dispel skepticism more than anything that we can only accept on faith. (Faith in this context is per the modern definition.)
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:57 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Echi writes
Quote:
In order to convince me of the exisence of God I would first have to know what we're talking about. What is "God"?

Well if you have to have a complete answer to that, we have a problem because I don't think we mortals can comprehend what God is. I don't think He would be much of a God if we could.

But we don't have to know what something is to know that something exists. Would you agree with that?

LOL! Who taught you that? That seems like one of those lines which are used by the preachers and teachers who have no idea who or what God is. So they tell the sheep, " God is so complex that you cannot comprehend him. That is why you can't see him." And as always the sheep fall back in line and say, "Hmm, he's right. God is too much for our small minds to comprehend. This is why we can't see him."
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:57 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Could this thread get more inane? I'm guessing not.

LOL! With your arrival, it just did.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:07 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Echi writes
Quote:
In order to convince me of the exisence of God I would first have to know what we're talking about. What is "God"?

Well if you have to have a complete answer to that, we have a problem because I don't think we mortals can comprehend what God is. I don't think He would be much of a God if we could.

But we don't have to know what something is to know that something exists. Would you agree with that?

LOL! Who taught you that? That seems like one of those lines which are used by the preachers and teachers who have no idea who or what God is. So they tell the sheep, " God is so complex that you cannot comprehend him. That is why you can't see him." And as always the sheep fall back in line and say, "Hmm, he's right. God is too much for our small minds to comprehend. This is why we can't see him."

Well I thought I had a pretty good explanation to support that you don't have to know what something is to know that something exists. But from the ancients on forward, there have been those who refused to accept that they were not smart enough or wise enough or arrogant enough to explain God. Some believers are still trying including some pretty big names out there. I gave up that attempt a long time ago.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:13 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Echi writes
Quote:
I don't know, Foxfyre.

How do you see it?

I thought we were having a conversation, and I'm sorry that you think we are not. I keep going back to the same thing that I know to be true because I know it is true. I sort of have a policy of not agreeing to things I do not think are true.

You suggest that God must be defined in order for us to proceed, and I disagreed and said such definition is impossible. We don't agree, but how is this not responsive?

You say I did not experience something; I say I did. We don't agree, but How is this not responsive?

You suggest that you cannot know that something exists without knowing what that something is, and I explained in some detail that you indeed can know that something exists without knowing what something is. We apparently disagree, but how is that not responsive?

I did let slide your statement (I think it was yours) that you can "see love".

I fully accept that you do not want to accept my point of view on this topic, but I don't accept that we have to agree in order to have a conversation.

But Timber apparently agrees with you and he didn't want to deal with my responses to his post some pages back either. Smile

Maybe it would be more satisfying to you for the the two of you to have the conversation? Smile

What did you experience and how did you know that it was from GOD? What standard of measurement did you use to determine that this experience is from God?

In order to know that this experience is from God, you have to know who God is first and the type of experiences that he doles out. The only reason that One who has received a present is able to say that that present is from such and such person is because they know the person. So to have a first experience and to attribute it to God without knowing who he is, is insanity.

So God is definable and you have just defined him. You have defined him once you have stated that this experience has come from God. Because if it is from God then there must be something from that experience which told you that it was from God and not from something or someone else. So something in that experience defined God.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
Mind, the experience was intensely personal and I'm not sure attempting to put it into words would be helpful. My evidence is the 'cloud of witnesses' described in the Bible--those who have shared the experience and share the certainty. And not one of us has words that can make sense of it to somebody who has not experienced it. To attempt to do so is like trying to describe an emotion or feeling or sight for which there is nothing comparable.

I do believe with all my heart, however, that anyone who wants to have the experience can do so. That is the best I can offer you.

To say that I have defined God is a misnomer, however. It is like the blind men in the room, each touching a tiny part of an elephant and then from that limited experience explaining what an elephant is. Their explanation is accurate, but even the one who puts all the different definitions together in his/her mind will be quite suprised when s/he actually sees a whole elephant.

And to experience an attribute or activity of God in no way qualifies us as an expert on who or what God is.

Question for you: Why are you so certain there is no God?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:38 pm
Terry wrote:

Logic and reason are primarily to blame for our unbelief. Why do you suppose that your version of God gave some people the predisposition/religious training/experiences to engender belief, and withheld the necessary qualities for belief from others? Why do you suppose that your God gave some people the skeptical nature/education/experiences to engender disbelief and fails to provide the simple evidence we need to be convinced of his existence?

That is our whole point. Thos who argue for the existence of God have not defined God and shewn any convincing evidence.

Terry wrote:
If God wants us to believe in him, why wouldn't he reveal himself to everyone in the world in an unambiguous and indisputable manner? Why allow so many guesses about his nature to be turned into conflicting religions, and why put so many contradictions in his alleged Holy Word? Case in point: the Bible says both that God cannot be seen and that men have seen him. It seems to me that the demand for "faith without evidence" is Religion's attempt to justify God's continuing failure to do anything that would prove he exists.

First, How do you know that he has not revealed himself to you. Seeing and knowing are not the same thing.

Secondly, God cannot be seen while at the same time he is seen. This is true. The skeptics cannot see him while the Believers are supposed to be able to. s.

Terry wrote:
If a world in which God exists is indistinguishable from a world in which he doesn't, why would he expect anyone to believe in him without any evidence? The most logical answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything is that God doesn't exist and never has, but the religious establishment has a vested interest (money, jobs and power) in maintaining belief.

Once again seeing does not equate to knowing. Just because you see does not mean that you will automatically know.

Terry wrote:
Laughing Uh, that IS what "invisible" means. Something in-visible CANNOT be seen, but may be inferred by the visible effects it has on other things.

You are wrong. Just because something is invisible, does not mean that it cannot be seen. It just means that the person whom the object or entity is invisible to, cannot at that present time see it. Everything exists in multiple dimensions. Something that is invisible is both seen and not seen. You are currently invisible to the people on this board, but this does not mean that you cannot be seen. And it also does not mean that somebody is not currently seeing you at this point.
0 Replies

sandspider

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:20 pm
ok you win
timberlandko wrote:
sandspider wrote:
Erol, You assume God doesn't exist.

Incorrect - Eorl makes no such assumption, his position quite clearly, and repeatedly expressly stated, is that, by logic, reason, and history, the existence of any gods is extremely unlikely. It is the religionist who presumes to assume.

Quote:
You assume science can explain everything.

Incorrect - Eorl's position is that science provides clearcut, testable, readily verifiable answers where and as it can, drawing from those reasoned, reasonable conclusions - conclusions always subject to refinement and revision - where it may, and forthrightly admits that which it does not know, while religion offers only claim, conjecture and assumption. It is the religionist who presumes to assume.

Quote:
You assume I don't know who God is.

Incorrect. Eorl offers only the observation that your argument proceeds from assumptions ... assumptions you to this point haver failed to justify, therefore, assumptions which for the purposes of this discussion are unwarranted. It is the religionist who presumes to assume.

Quote:
Why do you place so much FAITH in science. Did you perform the experiments on your own? Or did you read about them in a magazine or book written by people who got paid? Why do they not always agree? Sounds like religion to me.

Now here we get to the rub. There is a distinction to be made between "Faith" - most particularly in the religious sense - and concretely understood, experientially derived, tested, and validated confidence in humankind's assembled body of knowledge in context of the manner through which that knowledge has been and is obtained, refined, revised, employed, and ongoingly developed. It is the religionist who fails to make that distinction, and that precisely is the dead end into which the religionist proceeds.

Sandspider, you assume that one challenging your assertions perforce rejects the proposition behind those assertions, when in fact no such circumstance need necessarily obtain and in further point of fact no such rejection has been presented; that which has been requested is that you validate your assertions, thereby validating the proposition from whence proceed those propositions. You have not to this point met the challenge, but rather have brought to the discussion nought but additional unwarranted assumptions.

Is it correct to assume i'm not welcome in this discussion? I'm not trying to assume anything I was only trying to join in on a friendly debate, not change the world. Maybe i'd get lucky and say something worthwhile.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:25 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Sure you can. An infant has no understanding of genetics, family, parents, or what a human being is but responds favorably to loving stimuli and quickly bonds to the primary caregiver(s). In comparison to God we are like newborn infants with as limited knowledge comparatively about Him as a newborn has of his/her parent, but we still have a sense of presence and respond favorably to loving stimuli etc.
Is a newborn capable of forming mental concepts?

Quote:
If you walk through the woods and see a creature that you never knew existed would you question its existence? Wouldn't you accept the reality of it though you don't have a clue what it is?
How do you know it's a creature?

Quote:
If you found a substance left by some departing space alien and had no clue whether it was animal or mineral or what its function was or whether it was inert, beneficial, or harmful, would you question whether it existed at all?
What do you imagine it looks like?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:29 pm
Re: ok you win
sandspider wrote:

Is it correct to assume i'm not welcome in this discussion? I'm not trying to assume anything I was only trying to join in on a friendly debate, not change the world. Maybe i'd get lucky and say something worthwhile.

You are welcome to join the discussion. The more the merrier. Two heads are always better than One. And three is always better than two etc...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:30 pm
sandspider wrote:

Is it correct to assume i'm not welcome in this discussion?

Another incorrect assumption - anyone is welcome to participate in any discussion on these boards, in whatever manner and through whatever POV they prefer - subject of course to civil, adult behavior.

Quote:
I'm not trying to assume anything I was only trying to join in on a friendly debate, not change the world. Maybe i'd get lucky and say something worthwhile.

Yeah. Me too. Thats the point of the excersize. If ya ain't havin' fun, yer doin' it wrong.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
sandspider wrote:

Of course you are welcome.

"WELCOME, SANDSPIDER!!"

Timber don't mean no harm. He's just misunderstood, sometimes (which I just realized is kinda ironic, seeing as how he's got such a firm death-grip on the English language and all). Go figure.
0 Replies