Starbucks uses regional motifs to match locales

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:15 pm
Starbucks now tailors its new shops to match character of cities:

Quote:
WSJ.com/Europe

Starbucks wants to blend in
Ubiquitous chain uses regional motifs to match locales

By Janet Adamy

AT A COFFEE SHOP in Chicago's Beverly neighborhood, Bridget Barnes snuggled into a navy chair beneath a row of vintage windows. The dark wood, living-room-style rug and molded fireplace mantle made her feel like she was in "an old Beverly home," the 25-year-old preschool teacher said.

But Ms. Barnes was actually at a Starbucks. In an effort to make its stores fit better into their surroundings, Starbucks Corp. has rolled out new decor and added a fleet of regional designers. They are preserving antique touches when the chain opens in old buildings, hanging local photos and picking color schemes that complement area sunlight patterns.

The new design methods are part of a push to make Starbucks' stores more locally relevant as the Seattle chain sets out to eventually have 40,000 stores across the world, more than triple its current total. Its proliferation has prompted a small number of cities to block it from opening out of concern the chain will erode the local character.

Arroyo Grande, California, last year restricted Starbucks and other so-called formula businesses from opening in its historic downtown after hearing the chain wanted to come there. In one Denver neighborhood, a landlord asked Starbucks to replace its standard green-and-white mermaidlogo sign with something more original.

Starbucks executives say the new design methods aren't a response to a backlash against its ubiquity, and they point out the company has always strived to personalize its cafes. Yet as the chain gets bigger, Starbucks is sharpening its rebuttal to the complaint that its stores homogenize towns. In its 2005 social-responsibility report, Starbucks devoted a section to debunking a complaint that it says it often hears "Everywhere I go, I see Starbucks. Pretty soon every place will look the same." In the report, Starbucks says it doesn't rely on a one-size-fits-all mold for its stores and is respectful of a neighborhood's desire to preserve its look and feel.

Starbucks used to design its stores largely fromits Seattle headquarters around four coffee-inspired motifs that used similar earth tones and plush, oversize furniture. But about two years ago, behind the bars that displays glasses, tea and flavoring syrups to evoke the mercantile feel of Starbucks's first location in Seattle's Pike Place Market. The designs use more upscale touches, like tile on the walls behind the counter instead of laminate or vinyl.

The result of the new methods is locations like the one that opened in Chicago's Beverly neighborhood in September. Instead of building a new store, Starbucks overhauled a limestone building once occupied by a Christian Science reading room. Builders assumed Starbucks wouldn't want the old the fireplace mantle and set it aside for themselves. Instead, a Starbucks designer reclaimed the mantle and made it the centerpiece of the cafe's entryway. Now it displays mugs.

Other store-development teams are deviating fromthe design formulas to add their own touches. InNewYork City, a realestate representative dug through city archives to find old photos of a vintage building where Starbucks opened earlier this year. Starbucks hung the black-and-white pictures on the walls. A designer who works on Minnesota stores adjusts the colors to offset the lack of sunlight during the state's long winters.

The new designs may do little to swaysome consumers' perceptions that all Starbucks feel the same. "It will still be too sterile and too perfect, too institutionalized, even while trying to be culturally eclectic," says Xtine Hanson, an assistant professor of visual communications at California State University, Fullerton. Ms. Hanson last year launched a Web site called www.delocator. net that lists independent coffee shops, bookstores and movie theaters because she says she struggled to find a Starbucks alternative while visiting New York.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:15 pm
http://i15.tinypic.com/40c51ub.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/47d7t09.jpg

source for both posts: [copied/pasted]The Wall Street Journal Europe, September 10 - 12, page 29
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:17 pm
Their success is beyond me. I can't stand their coffee - it's bitter and
fowl smelling.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:18 pm
Smells like chicken, Jane?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:19 pm
Haha, too late to change the typo now. Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:22 pm
I feel bad. Why don't use quick answer this post before I can correct the tipo.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
No, I think it's rather cute that way.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
Getting back to the subject: I remember the last time I was in Vermont and noticed McDonalds, under instructions from the city council, attempting to do the same thing as Starbucks and blend in with the community.

A simple brick building with a small McDonald's logo on the side. It was refreshing to see the absence of that gaudy neon M.

They still didn't get my business though. I would still rather eat fresh roadkill than dine at McDonalds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:37 pm
STARBUCK"S- often we all have the urge to blow money on ****. Starbucks understands this and devised their marketing plan to coincide.

Shittiest coffee at three times the price.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Strangely enough, not even our dog would eat McDonalds.

Here in my small community, Starbucks had no choice but to take
an existing space. So aside from the logo, nothing was changed.

By the way, how did you like San Diego, gustav?
0 Replies

farmerman

STARBUCK"S- often we all have the urge to blow money on ****. Starbucks understands this and devised their marketing plan to coincide.

Shittiest coffee at three times the price.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:40 pm
Worth repeating farmerman Laughing and I couldn't agree more. The coffee tastes burnt. Impossible to drink it black.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:40 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
They still didn't get my business though. I would still rather eat fresh roadkill than dine at McDonalds.

Why, Gus, one might almost think you slipped out of character there! Sounds like you just admitted that fresh roadkill isn't normally your dining option of choice... :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:17 pm
If Starbucks wants to blend into our shopping district they will have to make themselves look like a Walmart or Home Depot.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:22 pm
I'm sorry to hear that, GreenWitch.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
All this time I had envisioned GreenWitch living in an area bereft of consumerism.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:47 pm
There's no escaping "progress". At least the mall district is a good 30 miles from my house.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 04:52 pm
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/images/sprawl/fragment.gif

Ok, let's play a game. Where will they put the inevitable McDonalds?

I am going to guess the north shore of the lake, alongside the Lowes and just to the east of Home Depot.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 05:13 pm
Quote:
I am going to guess the north shore of the lake, alongside the Lowes and just to the east of Home Depot.

They'll put it where ther is the highest predictable passing trade.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 05:23 pm
Nice idea if they put it right in the place of that house that seems to be falling off the cliff..
0 Replies