health insurance

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:39 am
The lady Diane and meself just got our new health insurance, we are old and have health problems so our insurance is going to $835 monthly and only coverning major events, pretty much zero on routine medical care.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,590 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:52 am
Welcome to America.

My husband and I are in our 40's we own a successful business but can't afford insurance for ourselves or our employees. Our state offers discounted insurance to small business owners but they cap household income for 2 at $28,000. If you have 2 children they raise that to $42,000, but that cap would even include any income your child might earn working at McDonalds. Very few people could run a business and take such a small salary.

I'm hoping there are now people on their way to Washington who understand that our place in the world as a competitive business force is being effected by our lack of health care coverage. I'm hoping General Motors, Walmart, Ford, General Electric etc are sending their lobbyists to Congress to get some action. Maybe the politicans will listen to corporate America, because the general citizens have been ignored.

I heard on NPR this morning that the drug stocks were down because The Street thinks the Democrats are going to push for health care reform and lower drug prices - I sure hope so.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:49 am
I'm extremely lucky that Mr. Noddy's pension benefits include an excellent health plan. Medicare premiums are covered as are perscription drugs.

Unfortunately these benefits depend on the bargaining power of the UAW and the health of the American automobile industry.

I don't stay up late worrying--which would be pointless--but I'm exceedingly thankful.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:18 am
dys- Before I went on Medicare, I was paying 10 grand a year just for health insurance for myself!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dys- Before I went on Medicare, I was paying 10 grand a year just for health insurance for myself!
Yes, I hear that, so will be paying $10,020 per year for disaster only insurance. Pretty hefty chunk of change for me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
Mad That's a pretty hefty chunk of change for most people!

Seriously, health care in this country sucks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Yes, I hear that, so will be paying $10,020 per year for disaster only insurance. Pretty hefty chunk of change for me.

Yeah, but let's look at it this way. The hospitals have a number of payment scales. One is for people who pay their own way, which is much higher than the reimbursements that they contract with the insurance companies.

If a person were self insured, and got into a formidable medical situation, it could easily throw even a rich person into bankruptcy.

I can remember one year, when the insurance company paid out $150,000 to my doctors and hospital. And that was 16 years ago. I don't even want to know what the cost would have been if I had not had insurance. Shocked

My attitude always was that I would do without something else, but I had to have the best health insurance.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:01 pm
I've actually found our local hospital and most doctors to be very understanding and flexible. Payment plans are available and my doctors offer me discounts if I pay cash. I barter with my GP/GYN. The big problem comes in if you need on-going drugs. Your local corporate pharmacy basically sticks to the motto of: "Show Me The Money".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:30 pm
Dealing with hospital bills for indigent elderly members of Mr. Noddy's extended family, I've found that hospitals are very willing to reduce or eliminate fees.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:31 pm
Re: health insurance
dyslexia wrote:
The lady Diane and meself just got our new health insurance, we are old and have health problems so our insurance is going to $835 monthly and only coverning major events, pretty much zero on routine medical care.

I suspect you're having a high deductable too.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:32 pm
Quote:
we are old

So, this is a medigap supplement to Medicare?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:34 pm
Quote:
the health of the American automobile industry.

Health? Shocked
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:35 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Is it worth it?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:37 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

... health care in this country sucks.

Totally wrong! The medical system is excellent.

Have you ever noticed how many foreigners come to the US for medical care? If you worked in a major hospital you would notice this immediately.

Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:40 pm
Quote:
I can remember one year, when the insurance company paid out $150,000 to my doctors and hospital.

That was a very major medical problem. But is it the kind of problem common to most individuals?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:43 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dealing with hospital bills for indigent elderly members of Mr. Noddy's extended family, I've found that hospitals are very willing to reduce or eliminate fees.

Low income folks can often qualify for "free care" if they can provide the proper documentation.
Remember the illegals are all getting "free care" so why shouldn't a US citizen?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:51 pm
Miller- As we get older, and learn about such things, one realizes that anyone can be at the receiving end of a huge medical bill. One of the women that I worked with (at about the same time that I had the huge bill) gave birth to a premature, very sickly child. The child was in intensive care for a couple of months, until he died. I understand that the bill (which was covered by insurance) was in excess of one million dollars.

Nowadays, people have all sorts of serious operations that cost a huge amount, that were unheard of a few decades ago. Medicare paid out close to 4 grand a month for hospice for my mother. If you go to an ER, you can end up with a bill for a couple of thousand bucks, for things that are not terribly serious.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:56 pm
Quote:
Medicare paid out close to 4 grand a month for hospice for my mother.

Most insurance plans will pay for hospice care, if the MD states that the patient is terminal and will be deceased within 6 months.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 01:05 pm
Miller wrote:
Quote:
Medicare paid out close to 4 grand a month for hospice for my mother.

Most insurance plans will pay for hospice care, if the MD states that the patient is terminal and will be deceased within 6 months.

Medicare paid for my mother for nearly two years! She was living in an assisted living facility (she paid the rent herself). What hospice did was give her nursing and doctor services, social work and home health aide services. Also, they paid for those medications that were related to her primary diagnosis.Twice she had to be taken to the Hospice House, the last time when she died.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 01:06 pm
Miller wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

... health care in this country sucks.

Totally wrong! The medical system is excellent.

Have you ever noticed how many foreigners come to the US for medical care? If you worked in a major hospital you would notice this immediately.

Laughing

And have you never noticed how many people go to India and other Nations to get health care?
0 Replies