Dems Claim Control of Senate!

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:47 am
You know, Liberman could get himself a committee chairmanship by dealing his "new status" like a poker hand
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:21 pm
Joe will definitely get a chairmanship. The question is which one?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:30 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
I think it is conceivable that Lieberman might surprise people and vote for a Republican majority or Republican chairman on a few committees then tell his fellow Democrats, "But I only said I would caucus with you, I never said I would vote a straight up and down Democrat committee ticket".

I think this is precisely what an independent Senator should do. He was elected with sufficient Democratic and Republican support by the voters of his state to make his decisions on a vote by vote basis. If we had 98 more who voted the same way we might see some progress in Washington. Now, it's highly doubtful that Sanders would vote very often on a conservative initiative, but there's no major party platform dictating the decisions of either of them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:43 pm
Lieberman has one vote; his choice.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
Lieberman's "independence" is what one might indicate by the category, "centrism." I see it as the politics of indifference.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
Lieberman's "centrism" is what one might indicate by "centrism." I see it as the politics of indifference.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:17 pm
Some good news about the new congress:

New Congress Expected to Scrutinize Government Management

By Stephen Barr
Thursday, November 9, 2006; D04

The new Congress will take a more skeptical view of the Bush administration's approach to managing the federal government, in particular efforts to contract out federal jobs and link employee pay raises more closely to job performance.

Those were the post-election predictions offered by a number of public policy experts, union leaders and Democrats yesterday.

Policy analysts said they expected that the Democratic takeover of the House and possible capture of the Senate would lead to more-rigorous oversight to root out waste, fraud and abuse in government. Federal union leaders saw the election results as an opportunity to roll back some of the administration's workforce initiatives.
0 Replies