How much influence will the Democrats actually have?

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 02:52 pm
nimh wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Thanks...but what I am really after is some understanding of the actual STRUCTURE of power...what they can and cannot affect.

I read an excellent summary explaining it in enough detail to surpass generalisations but still in a way I could understand it... but where...

Oh think hard, Nimh!!!

Thanks folks (apart from those of you, led of course by cjhsa, who have descended into partisan bickering) I will have a good look at your posts after work tonight.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 03:00 pm
Quote:
You mean the ones who already pay 95% of the taxes?

Snood, I hope you win the lottery. I'd love to see the change.

I always think how great it would be to win the lottery. How much fun I would HAVE spending the 100,000, and feel GOOD about the 500,000 the government got. with my 100,000- I don't think I'd have time to fret over the tax. That's what being POOR is, not caring who is 'boss' but wishing for just 'enough'.

Sorry to be entering the bickering fray dlowan

I think you will see some changes many folks do not expect, especially from the Congress. They do have equal power to the president, (in the people's mind.) For if they make up their mind he is really too much, they will put the "peach" on him--- and the People can do it
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 03:51 pm
Hey dlowan, ere ya proud of me? I didn't even reply to the "lottery" taunt!

Very Happy Exclamation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:15 pm
snood wrote:
Hey dlowan, ere ya proud of me? I didn't even reply to the "lottery" taunt!

Very Happy Exclamation

Well done!
0 Replies

BigEgo

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:53 pm
Why hasn't Brandon posted in this thread? Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
Ha ha ha ha! Those context-determined ads work good!

This is the ad I'm seeing above this thread now...

http://banners.pennyweb.com/E16/C23773/imgcr_E16_C23773-3.gif

(Dlowan, I'm thinking... must.. remember...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:02 pm
At least we both have eligible countries to live in while you are thinking.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:27 pm
nimh, dlowan, don't get your hopes up too high. the so-called "green card" is pink, so if you win a green one, it's bogus. Confused
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:
subpoena power is major.

and control of the purse strings.

Well, la dee da, already those fiscally responsible republicans bitching about tax increases with a $300,000,000,000 yearly federal deficit. Either you are for traditional conservative and republican government fiscal responsibility or you're against it.

You see that figure above for the yearly deficit, that's what's buried in the sand in Iraq.

Quote:
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy: that is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

--John Kenneth Galbraith

I don't mind greed heads bitching that you don't want to share for the common good, but especially after your weird "free-market" dogma that "all public benefit issues from private greed" has been proven wrong in so many ways, how else will the bills get paid?

The Democratic Party tried amending GOP tax bills that gave away billions in tax reductions to the top economic 3% of the population. It was only through their insistence that the 2001 tax bill phased in gradually the tax deductions for the wealthy and front loaded the deductions for the middle class. Now the bill to the rich come due and it will make the deficit even worse.

I think those that have the greatest economic success in a society should bear a greater responsibility than those who do not.

That's not Marx or Lenin, its the greater part of the social faith of the three great Western religions.
0 Replies