Dangers of Allowing Grocery Stores to Sell Wine

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:07 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

but then again, you should have to be 21 to buy vanilla extract too..
Seriously?!

Word is, an alcoholic relative got through Prohibition using the stuff.

FYI, the reason Mexican vanilla is so strong is that they're not limited to using alcohol for extracting the vanilla from the beans.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 07:04 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
what makes something 'fancy' ?

sexy grociers?

high prices?

or frilly pink stuff..

Laughing

ahhhhh give a sistah a break....

it was at "our" store, Central Market...they gots that whole big whine section there....couldn't even find a bottle of Ripple or T-bird.

and you KNOW they gots sexy workers there, at least the gay ones are.

sometimes I hang out in the cheese area so's I can hear them talk french.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 07:08 pm
I can't believe that didn't pass...

but then I'm from California.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
ossobuco wrote:
I can't believe that didn't pass...

but then I'm from California.

Well, I'm from Mass and I can't believe it didn't pass. Prior to the election, according to the polls it was going to pass. Then the liquor stores started this scare campaign and the one ad that seemed to have the big impact was from a chief of police stating how this was going to increase drunk driving and more young kids buying, etc. He seemed sincere and came across convincingly enough to push those on fence or those easily persuaded to change their vote.

Mass is a funny place when it comes to alcohol. Until recently Mass couldn't sell beer, wine, liquor on Sundays except from Thanksgiving to New Years. Odd during Christmas, a very Christian holiday, liquor is o-k to sell on Sunday, but other times during the year it wasn't o-k.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:31 pm
Strikes me that traditionally that's the stretch of time when the Patriots are playing meaningless games. Maybe that's got something to do with it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:32 am
Re: Dangers of Allowing Grocery Stores to Sell Wine
Linkat wrote:
In Mass, we have a question on the ballot that would allow towns to grant licenses to grocery stores to sell wine. Currently a very limited number of grocery stores do have beer and wine licenses, but this question will now allow a larger number to sell only wine.

I have heard lots of negative ads about this - like increase drunk driving, increased sales to minors. Does anyone know how allowing grocery stores to sell wine will increase these negative things? Grocery stores will still have to abide by the current liquor laws so I don't understand how these will affect giving licenses to grocery stores.

I heard one person say she didn't like having an underage person ask for her to buy for them so she was voting "No." But besides that I haven't heard anything with any greater reasoning and I have no issue with saying get lost.

I plan on voting on this today, so please give me your thoughts. Since I really do not see how one would affect the other, I plan on voting for wine - easier for me since I love wine with dinner.

It is of greater importance to put GOVERNMENT
out of the business of determining what its creators,
the citizens, eat or drink. We need to remember who
the BOSS and owner is: it is US.
David
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:12 am
The BATF is a corrupt organization who only wish to maintain the status quo. They hate California because of the loose governmental controls on alcohol (and drugs). Taxes are low on alcohol there, and booze is sold in every market and restaurant seven days a week.

In Michigan, it doesn't matter where I go, Costco, the grocery, the corner liquor store, everything costs exactly the same. You want a fifth of brandy or whatever and it will be to the penny identical. Everything is controlled by the distributors, which act like cartels, and who violently oppose any breakdown of their control, like Internet sales of wine.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:53 pm
Same here with the distributors. One of the local brewpubs is opening up a new location across town, and because of the distributorship laws they have to buy their own beer from a distributor at the new location because it's not made on site.
0 Replies