This proved to me that the mainstream media is dumbifying US

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:44 pm
While the news networks continue to ignore the real news stories such as the massacre in darfur, or any of the actual interesting and relevent events such as what Ze covers, it seems that the only place to get any actual news is ze frank, a few newspapers (New York Times), publications (New Scientist, Scientific American Mind etc.) and on occasion the Daily Show, Bill Maher, and on the rare occasion, CNN (they're currently playing a special "Broken Government" that I highly recommend watching).

Why do so many of the news networks, instead of covering real news such as what's happening in Darfur, continue to shove the same old crap down our throats, and then complain about how people seem to prefer watching Jon Stewart and Bill Maher to get their news (atleast they add a much needed perspective to the "big story of the week". Ze can't possibly have better resources than these over bloated over funded news networks. Do they think no one cares? Clearly, that's not true, or else he wouldn't have such a rabid audience.

A message to the mainstream media. For the love of god, please start doing your job. Your job is not to invent controversy where there is none (see Dean scream, Kerry comment, Tom Cruise is gay), your job is not to fight like a bunch of rapid wild dogs over the few remaing morsels of people who still haven't given up on network news. Your job is to investigate amd report the important things, the things that actually effect the way we live our lives, the things that acutally impact millions of people, to have real debate on real ideas. Do that job, fairly and honsetly, and the rathings will follow.

It's not like there aren't a million sources for info, google news, scientific american mind, the new york times, the new scientist etc. If Ze can find them, so can you.

Who else here turns to Ze's show for the real news?

http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/

Seriously, last night I was surfing news channels while watching Ze's show and guess what... msnbc was doing their millionth special on the case where that guy killed his pregnant wife, a story that I thought died over half an year ago... fox is doing their billionth special on Kerry's comment and how he must hate the troops.... i couldn't make this stuff up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 734 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 03:34 pm
It's impossible to dumify those already dumb. Discouraging, isn't it?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 03:59 pm
Above all the news media is a business. It gives people what they want and what sells. However, the media covers the subjects you mentioned and is available if one is interested to look for it. One thing is certain reading the headlines and the sports pages in the local paper will certainly not keep one informed on world affairs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:04 pm
If the Fourth Estate is not the Fifth Column, it is not for lack of trying.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:11 pm
It's faulty reasoning to assume that they care the stuff we care about.

In reality, we would care about Darfur if it was actually covered by the press. Familiarity, and exposure, define what we care about.

As we create a larger schema about a topic, such as forigen affairs, our interest in it rises.

The television media by repeating the same old crap, the crap that really has no impact on anyone's life, is doing a disservice to the american people.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:39 pm
Quote: Above all the news media is a business. It gives people what they want and what sells.
No dedicated editor or journalist thinks along those lines, unless they are told what to write or produce yellow journalism.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:56 pm
di, You got that right!
0 Replies