4 Leading Military Papers: 'Rumsfeld Must Go'

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:39 am
4 Leading Military Papers: 'Rumsfeld Must Go'
By E&P Staff
Published: November 03, 2006 11:00 PM ET

An editorial set to appear on Monday -- election eve -- in four leading newspapers for the military calls for the resignation of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

The papers are the Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times. They are published by the Military Times Media Group, a subsidiary of Gannett Co., Inc. President Bush said this week that he wanted Rumsfeld to serve out the next two years.

"We say that Rumsfeld must be replaced," Alex Neill, the managing editor of the Army Times, told The Virginian-Pilot tonight in a telephone interview. "Given the state of affairs with Iraq and the military right now, we think it's a good time for new leadership there."

The editorial was written by senior managing editor Robert Hodierne, based on a decision of the publications' editorial board, Neill told the paper.

The timing of the editorial was coincidental, Neill said. But he added, "President Bush came out and said that Donald Rumsfeld is in for the duration … so it's just a timely issue for us. And our position is that it is not the best course for the military" for Rumsfeld to remain the Pentagon chief.

Neill said he was uncertain how troops will react. "I think we'll hear from both sides," he said. "It will be interesting to find out if it swings significantly one way or the other."

The Ross Report at the Web site of the San Francisco Chronicle posted the advance text of the editorial tonight, and this was cited by MSNBC. Andrew S. Ross is executive foreign and national editor of the paper. Here is the text, as posted, under the heading, "Time for Rumsfeld to go."

"So long as our government requires the backing of an aroused and informed public opinion ... it is necessary to tell the hard bruising truth."

That statement was written by Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent Marguerite Higgins more than a half-century ago during the Korean War.

But until recently, the "hard bruising" truth about the Iraq war has been difficult to come by from leaders in Washington. One rosy reassurance after another has been handed down by President Bush, Vice President Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld: "mission accomplished," the insurgency is "in its last throes," and "back off," we know what we're doing, are a few choice examples.

Military leaders generally toed the line, although a few retired generals eventually spoke out from the safety of the sidelines, inciting criticism equally from anti-war types, who thought they should have spoken out while still in uniform, and pro-war foes, who thought the generals should have kept their critiques behind closed doors.

Now, however, a new chorus of criticism is beginning to resonate. Active-duty military leaders are starting to voice misgivings about the war's planning, execution and dimming prospects for success.

Army Gen. John Abizaid, chief of U.S. Central Command, told a Senate Armed Services Committee in September: "I believe that the sectarian violence is probably as bad as I've seen it ... and that if not stopped, it is possible that Iraq could move towards civil war."

Last week, someone leaked to The New York Times a Central Command briefing slide showing an assessment that the civil conflict in Iraq now borders on "critical" and has been sliding toward "chaos" for most of the past year. The strategy in Iraq has been to train an Iraqi army and police force that could gradually take over for U.S. troops in providing for the security of their new government and their nation.

But despite the best efforts of American trainers, the problem of molding a viciously sectarian population into anything resembling a force for national unity has become a losing proposition.

For two years, American sergeants, captains and majors training the Iraqis have told their bosses that Iraqi troops have no sense of national identity, are only in it for the money, don't show up for duty and cannot sustain themselves.

Meanwhile, colonels and generals have asked their bosses for more troops. Service chiefs have asked for more money.

And all along, Rumsfeld has assured us that things are well in hand.

Now, the president says he'll stick with Rumsfeld for the balance of his term in the White House.

This is a mistake.

It is one thing for the majority of Americans to think Rumsfeld has failed. But when the nation's current military leaders start to break publicly with their defense secretary, then it is clear that he is losing control of the institution he ostensibly leads.

These officers have been loyal public promoters of a war policy many privately feared would fail. They have kept their counsel private, adhering to more than two centuries of American tradition of subordination of the military to civilian authority.

And although that tradition, and the officers' deep sense of honor, prevent them from saying this publicly, more and more of them believe it.

Rumsfeld has lost credibility with the uniformed leadership, with the troops, with Congress and with the public at large. His strategy has failed, and his ability to lead is compromised. And although the blame for our failures in Iraq rests with the secretary, it will be the troops who bear its brunt.

This is not about the midterm elections. Regardless of which party wins Nov. 7, the time has come, Mr. President, to face the hard bruising truth:

Donald Rumsfeld must go.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 807 • Replies: 21
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:56 pm
BBB
Can Bush overcome a revolt within his military and keep Rumsfeld?

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:10 pm
The most incompetent president of our country says that about all his choices; "he's doing a good job." Remember what he said about Tenet and Browne?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:54 pm
I believe it a bad precedent to allow the military to select their own civilian leadership.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
Drew Dad, Since when did they(military) select their own civilian leadership? That's news to most of us!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:45 pm
Seems like the Generals felt in 1999 that even 400,000 troops might not be enough. Obviously Rummy disagreed. Looks like the Generals were right. "1999 war games foresaw problems in Iraq"

By JOHN HEILPRIN
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. government conducted a series of secret war games in 1999 that anticipated an invasion of Iraq would require 400,000 troops, and even then chaos might ensue.

In its "Desert Crossing" games, 70 military, diplomatic and intelligence officials assumed the high troop levels would be needed to keep order, seal borders and take care of other security needs.

The documents came to light Saturday through a Freedom of Information Act request by the George Washington University's National Security Archive, an independent research institute and library.

"The conventional wisdom is the U.S. mistake in Iraq was not enough troops," said Thomas Blanton, the archive's director. "But the Desert Crossing war game in 1999 suggests we would have ended up with a failed state even with 400,000 troops on the ground."

There are currently about 144,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, down from a peak of about 160,000 in January.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Central Command, which sponsored the seminar and declassified the secret report in 2004, declined to comment Saturday because she was not familiar with the documents.

The war games looked at "worst case" and "most likely" scenarios after a war that removed then-Iraqi President Saddam Hussein from power. Some are similar to what actually occurred after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003:

-"A change in regimes does not guarantee stability," the 1999 seminar briefings said. "A number of factors including aggressive neighbors, fragmentation along religious and/or ethnic lines, and chaos created by rival forces bidding for power could adversely affect regional stability."

-"Even when civil order is restored and borders are secured, the replacement regime could be problematic - especially if perceived as weak, a puppet, or out-of-step with prevailing regional governments."

-"Iran's anti-Americanism could be enflamed by a U.S.-led intervention in Iraq," the briefings read. "The influx of U.S. and other western forces into Iraq would exacerbate worries in Tehran, as would the installation of a pro-western government in Baghdad."

-"The debate on post-Saddam Iraq also reveals the paucity of information about the potential and capabilities of the external Iraqi opposition groups. The lack of intelligence concerning their roles hampers U.S. policy development."

-"Also, some participants believe that no Arab government will welcome the kind of lengthy U.S. presence that would be required to install and sustain a democratic government."

-"A long-term, large-scale military intervention may be at odds with many coalition partners."
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1152AP_Iraq_War_Games.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
White House Calls Editorials Urging Rumsfeld Exit 'Shabby'
White House Calls Editorials Urging Rumsfeld Exit 'Shabby'
By E&P Staff
Published: November 05, 2006

The White House is dismissing fresh calls for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's ouster, calling an editorial in leading newspapers for the military "a shabby piece of work."

White House spokesman Tony Snow said Saturday the president has shrugged off an editorial by the Military Times Media Group, which publishes the Army Times, Marine Times, Air Force Times and Navy Times, calling for Bush to fire Rumsfeld. Bushs feels it is merely "grandstanding," he added. The editorial says Rumsfeld has "lost credibility" with top officers.

Snow called the editorial "a caricature" and a "shabby piece of work" filled with inaccuracies. He said it implied the administration's made nothing but "rosy" predictions about Iraq. Snow said that isn't true, leading the president to "shrug it off."

He also charged that the military papers, produced for military personnel by a subsidiary of Gannett, are biased, in that Gannett does not -- he said -- have a single newspaper with a conservative editorial page. This is not true, however.

Here is the relevant portion of transcript from Saturday's briefing.

MR. SNOW: I mean, observation number one is everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts. And as a factual matter, the editorial -- which is a uniform editorial that I guess all the papers are being told to carried -- is just -- it's a shabby piece of work. I'll run through some of it for you.

The other important thing to note is this -- although these are Army Times and the Military Times, they're a Gannett publication. A lot of people are thinking, aha, what you have are a lot of military people in open revolt against the President, when, in fact, you've got a lot of Gannett editorial writers, which would be thoroughly consistent with USA Today and the rest of the Gannett chain, which I think, if memory serves, does not have a single strong conservative editorial page in the entire chain.

Hang on a second, I've got a printout of it, because I went through the thing. Give me a moment. The editorial, for one thing, makes the allegation that -- it says, "One rosy reassurance after another has been handed down by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld." That's just flat not true. And what they do is they revert to cheesy old partisan talking points about "mission accomplished," which, as you recall, was referring to the mission of the USS Abraham Lincoln and the President, on the deck of the Abraham Lincoln, talked about a long, hard fight to come, and so on.

But maybe the worst is this, it says, "A new course of criticism is beginning to resonate. Active duty military leaders are starting to voice misgivings about the war's planning." It then goes on to site General John Abizaid completely out of context, when he said before Congress -- he said, "I believe the sectarian violence probably is as bad as I've seen it. It's possible that Iraq could move toward civil war."

The following month General Casey said -- let's see, a couple of things. First, he said that, "A, I think we can prevent a civil war. Secondly, things in a counter-insurgency environment, as you well know, take time to mature militarily and politically, and we're confident that with the measures we're taking now we can be successful."

General Casey also said recently, "The situation is hard, but Iraq is not a country that's awash in sectarian violence. I think it's important to remind people that 90 percent of the sectarian violence in Iraq takes place in about a 30-mile radius from the center of Baghdad, and, secondly, that 90 percent of all violence takes place in five provinces."

There is also the notion in here -- in this editorial -- let me get this a little neater, because I keep flipping back and forth. Here we go, sorry. Here's another one, "Despite the best efforts of American trainers, the problem of molding a viciously sectarian population into anything resembling a force for national unity has become a losing proposition." Again, dramatically at odds with what we've been seeing on the ground in Iraq, especially with a unity government that is making aggressive moves toward tamping down sectarian violence and also building a sense of national unity -- yet, 12 million people vote.

So what you have in here is sort of a caricature -- just today, almost in direct defiance of what the editorial is asserting, you had militias going in -- you had Iraqi police going in and, according to one report, taking down 53 al Qaeda members. Now, that's precisely the sort of thing that we've been talking about from the beginning, which is training up and making battle capable not only the Iraq security forces, but also Iraqi police forces.

Q Has the President seen or been told about the editorials?

MR. SNOW: He's been told about the editorial.

Q His reaction?

MR. SNOW: His reaction was just to sort of shrug it off. I mean, he understands what editorial writers sometimes do, and in this case, they're grandstanding. The notion that somehow, as the editorial says, that this is not intended to influence the elections -- you've got to be kidding me. I mean, if they didn't want it to influence the elections, they could have published it Wednesday.

In addition, they clearly skipped school last week when General Caldwell was giving the weekly briefing, talking about the metrics in Baghdad and around Iraq. And I had laid that out before in a press briefing, as well.

Q We know what the President said in the interview with the wire services last week, and that was he was doing a fine job. But couldn't things change after the elections, depending on how they go?

MR. SNOW: The President is Commander-in-Chief. At any time he can make military decisions, and will do so; but he's expressed his confidence in Secretary Rumsfeld. I mean, look, the more important thing in this editorial is just the fact that it gives the false impression that there is this -- Americans are going to read this and they're going to say, oh, the Army Times is against this and the Navy Times and so on -- that somehow that there is a reaction against the President by military personnel. This is by editorial writers who work in Arlington, Virginia.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:03 am
Snow is struggling greatly to "stay the course," but is failing like Iraq. He's a good "soldier," but he has lost his ethics and brains.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
I'd be interested in timber and mysteryman's take on this.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Drew Dad, Since when did they(military) select their own civilian leadership? That's news to most of us!

They haven't. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusioin that I believe they have.

I'm dubious of the editorials, however. Not that I disagree with the content. But are these written by active service military?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:21 pm
DD, Opinions about the military can come from anybody that wishes to compliment or criticize it; it's called "democracy."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:25 pm
I think under UCMJ, an officer cannot critisize the commander in chief, not that I spent much time studying it. The restriction may well not apply here, but DrewDad makes a good point on who is working for whom.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
I was curious about who the editor(s) of these papers report to - and where they got the information they're basing their editorial on.

Not quite as easy a project as I'd thought.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:02 pm
roger, You may be correct about UCMJ; I was just generalizing. I seem to rememer recent criticisms from active military, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:17 pm
these newspapers are part of the "gannet" chain - "usa today" .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:29 pm
Heard two pieces on the radio about this tonight.

An "expert" (in the field of media and advertising) on one of them commented that these papers are primarily ways to get advertising to the active military market and that he didn't believe they'd print anything which would reduce readership - and therefore reduce advertising $$.

<shrug>

Dunno, but it was an angle I hadn't considered in this particular story.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:15 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I was curious about who the editor(s) of these papers report to...

Editors report to publishers, ehBeth. The publisher always has the ultimate say.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:20 pm
Eva, I'm aware of that.

I was trying to get to something more specific - who's in control of the Gannet Group. I was able to determine through Editor and Publisher that the Gannet Group publishes mags/papers on both edges of the U.S. political fence. I want more. Digging continues.

<one more occasion when I wish we had a media forum>
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:51 am
Army Times Publishing Company
Army Times Publishing Company is a United States company which published publications regarding the US military. Founded in 1940, it was purchased by the Gannett Company in August 1997. They publish four weekly newspapers geared towards current and former US military personel, collectively called the Military Times Media Group: Army Times (founded 1940), Navy Times (founded 1951), Air Force Times (founded 1947), and Marine Corps Times. They also publish via the Defense News Media Group: Defense News, Armed Forces Journal (founded in 1863), Training & Simulation Journal and C4ISR - The Journal of Net-Centric Warfare. The company also publishes Federal Times.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:07 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
DD, Opinions about the military can come from anybody that wishes to compliment or criticize it; it's called "democracy."

Gee... How profound.

(Aren't you referring to freedom of expression?)
0 Replies