The seventy-fifth Wildclickers' Migratory Stroll

annoverboard

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 02:06 pm
clicked
Hello 75! CLICKED! smiles - Ann
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:05 pm
Hello smiles-Ann... good to see you again.

all clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:10 pm
Howdy Ann! Smile

Dan, Cronological migration of beer to the New World... Very Happy

In the year 1000, Vikings landed in North America, and founded a colony in what is now L'Anse aux Meadows at the northern tip of Newfoundland. The Vikings were accomplished ale brewers and they may have had a few casks onboard ship - but if they brewed in North America, it is not known. The Vikings got into trouble immediately with the local Eskimos and a few years later abandoned the site.

In 1535, Cartier began a settlement near Quebec City, but used the grain for food - not beer - and he also left the region. [well known at the time to not mess with the Eskimos - beer or no beer]

Next, the Spanish - no beer

Then Jamestown - beer
Eleven years later - Plymouth Rock - beer

The same year Jamestown was settled, the French built a settlement near Quebec was the first permanent French settlement in North America. By 1615, the first Jesuit missionaries of the Recollet order had arrived. They brewed beer, but kept the beverage for themselves, the settlers imported cognac from France. [Very stingy friars] The French settlers were totally swacked from cognac, so Jean Talon, the intendant who ran the province of New France for the king in Old France, therefore, decided to give himself a secular brew monopoly, plant hops, brew beer for the people, and sell it at a controlled price. [free beer to the Eskimos] Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:30 pm
The migration of beer Very Happy

Love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 299 friends have supported 2,640,448.2 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 136,327.0 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 299 friends have supported: (136,327.0)

American Prairie habitat supported: 57,399.2 square feet.
You have supported: (14,163.4)
Your 299 friends have supported: (43,235.8)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,446,722.0 square feet.
You have supported: (175,216.2)
Your 299 friends have supported: (2,271,505.8)

~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1601 60.613 acres

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

an Annoverboard sighting! whooooohoooooo
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:40 pm
Stradee, that's really a great synopsis. I love it. It reminds me of my childhood visiting my grandparents (and greatgrandparents - because in those day they all lived together) and watching my grandpa and my dad make beer in a butter churn. A very large butter churn of course....it was as tall as ME.....!!! grin... It - as I recall, turned out rather cloudy in presentation, but, somewhat satisfactory in taste - at least, ahhemmm, as I recall, that's what they said......another big grin.....My earliest ancestor arrived at Roebuck, VA (Now a shoreline of Hampton, VA) in 1620 and started a wool business with Alt England. Apparently, he was very successful - but, failed miserably in his attempt to pass his success on to his Texas decendants..... Shocked
Who knew this would happen?? Very Happy Very Happy

Now, I have to go out and find good beer...... :wink:

-----

woops!! Hi ehBeth......I have returned......

Beer is very intrinsic to our values - - - Aaaaannggghhhh...!!! No response is expected.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

((That A thing was my attempt to actually spell the sound that most Southern USA'ers gurgitate regularly. - - - It is not in any dictionary in the world. )) Shocked

Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
Very Happy

Dan, there was no beer brewin' from either side of my family - the 'brew' of choice was wine - my grandfathers bought product from the docks, then squished their own grapes. Next to the processing vats, was the wine cellars, where red and white wines were stored for the fermentation process.

The kids were warned to stay away from the wine cellars to no avail - prompting parents and grandparents to keep an eye on the youngins, and not allow any of the kids access to the gardens, especially during the holidays. Calling the contents of the vats grape-juice-with-a-kick did not amuse our parents or grandparents. :wink:
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:29 am
That sounds like you kids had a lot of fun. I went into some really old wine cellars in Austria. It was very interesting.

clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:43 pm
I thank God every day for my family.

More than a few wildclickers can say the same bout theirs... Very Happy

Check out the oldest bewerey in the United States...

http://www.yuengling.com/n_porter_slims.htm

Note: Yuengling's trademarked phrase "America's Oldest Brewery" refers to the U.S. only, as the Canadian brand Molson, founded in 1786, is the oldest in North America.

I've not traveled outside of the U.S., not yet, the plan is visiting Italy - Tuscany first, then traveling the coast.

Here is a very cool site from 'the Italian wine guy".

http://acevola.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 03:06 pm
Just a reminder...

VOTE ALERT!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 04:28 pm
Drunk
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 04:31 pm
Hmmm. Another post I just wrote disappeared into cyberspace somewhere. What I had said was:

I have voted.
I have clicked.
I'm feelin' purty good about myself.

In my family, when I was a kid, it was my maternal grandmother who brewed the beer. She didn't drink it. Didn't drink anything stronger than tea as I recall. But she had the knowledge and the knack. So she brewed it and the menfolk gratefully drank it. Smile
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
We are all voted here.....

Has anyone actually seen a 'Lert'??

Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:07 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:16 am
Three big cheers for the Democrats...........

all clicked
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:54 am
Very Happy
So happy to see you cheering!
Now hoping to hear your cheers in 2008.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:43 pm
Who won the governorship of Texas, Dan? I've been so wrapped up in the House and Senate races, I haven't been paying attention.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:15 pm
Merry Andrew, As usual in this part of the country - I am surrounded by 'nincompoops' - most of whom have never been outside the county - all knowing of the issues of the world - deeply religious, extremely right winged - thoroughly conservative to the point of litterally not moving - and, having to have simple jokes explained in detail to them before there is a glimmer of understanding. Afterwards, there is no laughter.

It is a lonely place here.

All the incumbent republicans were re-elected - my only solace being I succeeded in cancelling out the vote of one of my peers.

To answer your question = Rick Perry is still the governor.

Although, I was surprised by the narrow margin he won by.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:05 pm
The Dems were paying atttention in CA for the enviornment and infastructure! very good Very Happy

gov ahnold - that's not good. Sad

Pompo's outta the senate! very good

doolittle, as the name applies - the crook - reelected. very bad [worse nincompoops = 4th district]

All said and done though, citizens VOTED! very good

Dems won the House and Senate = excellent!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:17 pm
Dan, you have cause to celebrate!

Enviormental impact studies for drilling near Texas National Forests mandatory! The energy companies were stopped by a federal judge!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:01 pm
My condolences, Danon. But cheer up; the good news nationally is truly good. The Democrats have a clear majority in the House. I really believe that when the votes are recounted in VA, they'll take over the Senate as well. (At worst, it's an even 50-50 split.) For the first time in history, a woman will be Speaker of the House. The Draconian anti-abortion measure in So. Dakota, most conservative of states, was soundly defeated. And Massachusetts, my home state, is going to have its first African-American governor, only the scond time in history that that has happened in any state! And, as lagnape, Rummy has been sacked as SecDef. It's about as good as it gets in the political arena these days!
0 Replies