The seventy-fifth Wildclickers' Migratory Stroll

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:16 am
Seventy-five
~~~~~~~~

In mathematics:

As the sum of the first five pentagonal numbers, seventy-five is a pentagonal pyramidal number. It is also an enneagonal number.

It is also a Keith number, because it recurs in a Fibonacci-like sequence started from its base 10 digits: 7, 5, 12, 17, 29, 46, 75... But there is no integer that added up to its own digits adds up to 75, hence 75 is a self number.

There are 75 uniform polyhedra.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seventy-five is also:

* The atomic number of rhenium
* The age limit for Canadian senators
* The designation of Interstate 75, a freeway that runs from Florida to Michigan.
* The registry of the U.S. Navy's nuclear aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), named after U.S. President Harry S. Truman.
* The record for most game show wins, held by Ian Lygo. Also, the record for most game show appearances, currently a tie between Lygo and Ken Jennings.
* The year AD 75, 75 BC, or 1975.
* A common speed limit, in terms of miles per hour, in the western United States.
* Sweet 75, a band.
* The beginning of all 5 digit Paris Postal Codes (Not suburbs).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the SEVENTY-FIFTH WildClickers thread - where we discuss topics of interest (sometimes environmental/ecological, sometimes general friendly banter), and check in on our daily clicks. The WildClickers have saved over SIXTY ACRES of land (rainforest, marine wetlands and prairie) around the world.

Please join us in daily clicking for the Rainforest (and other worthy causes), and become a part of our cordial group on this Rainforest thread.

We are the aktbird57 team in Race for the Rainforest, and we are the number ONE team in the world!

Please help! Go to the Race for the Rain Forest at Care2.com. Just click on a button and somewhere in the world, you'll save a lot of square feet of rain forest, prairie, or wetlands, -- you choose! Corporate sponsors show their logos when you click, and in return, they pay for the habitat saved.

Just click: http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509

To register for the first time, create your own Distinct Log-in name and Password. Then each time you visit the site to click you simply Log-in and click on the Rainforest button. It's that simple. The site is FREE. If you have a question, we have plenty of answers. FREE.

After clicking, feel free to post on this thread. We have the most wonderful and helpful group of people clicking here. Any time you can't click, we can arrange for a substitute to click for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,276 • Replies: 293
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:19 am
as we move to our new WildClicking thread, birds/animals/people are on seasonal migrations as well.

~~~~~~~

Quote:

Migration of Birds

Early Ideas About Migration

The migrations of birds probably attracted the attention and aroused the imagination of humans since our African genesis. Recorded observations on the subject date back nearly 3,000 years to the times of Hesiod, Homer, Herodotus, and Aristotle. In the Bible there are several references to the periodic movements of birds, as in the Book of Job (39:26), where the inquiry is made: "Doth the hawk fly by Thy wisdom and stretch her wings toward the south?" The author of Jeremiah (8:7) wrote: "The stork in the heavens knoweth her appointed time; and the turtledove, and the crane, and the swallow, observe the time of their coming." The flight of Migratory Quail that saved the Israelites from starvation in their wanderings through the Sinai wilderness is now recognized as a vast migration between their breeding grounds in eastern Europe and western Asia and their winter home in Africa.

Aristotle, naturalist and philosopher of ancient Greece, was one of the first observers whose writings are known to discuss the subject of bird migration. He noted cranes traveled from the steppes of Scythia to the marshes at the headwaters of the Nile, and pelicans, geese, swans, rails, doves, and many other birds likewise passed to warmer regions to spend the winter. Pliny the Elder, a Roman naturalist, in his "Historia Naturalis," repeated much of what Aristotle had written on migration and added comments of his own concerning the movements of European species of starlings, thrushes, and blackbirds.

from

Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:28 am
a great page on marine mammal migration for kids

Did you know ... click .... that snow has a seasonal migration?

Migration in the Serengeti ... click...
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:48 pm
Thanks for the new thread.
Migration- interesting.

When we came back today we not only had the first snow of the season, but my favorite migration birds have arrived. Flocks of Russian crows are dancing in the sky. Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:27 pm
Hadda migrate right over. Thnx for the nifty new site, ehBeth.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 02:58 pm
Hi all, thanks for the new thread, ehBeth. Nice.

clicked

Stradee wrote =
((Humans also migrated - the ancients were nomads till someone invented a town. <grin> ))

I heard recently that anthropologists think one of the main reasons early man stopped being nomadic was so they could make beer. Sounds about right - sip. Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 04:31 pm
danon5 wrote:
Hi all, thanks for the new thread, ehBeth. Nice.

clicked

Stradee wrote =
((Humans also migrated - the ancients were nomads till someone invented a town. <grin> ))

I heard recently that anthropologists think one of the main reasons early man stopped being nomadic was so they could make beer. Sounds about right - sip. Very Happy

I like that theory, Dan! Good beer takes time to age properly; a nomadic people couldn't make it. But then came ... are you ready for a little erudition? The type of beer which is most common today, and which we call lager, was developed by quartermasters of the Bohemian army at the city of Pilsen in modern-day Czech Republic, which is why it's sometimes called a Pilsner. This was a quick-brewing method, developed so that Bohemian armies on the move could always have fresh beer. The word 'lager', of course, means 'camp' in German and the reference was to a military encampment. So if today you order a Budweiser (the King of Dishwater), you're drinkling camp beer!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:13 pm
Hi ehBeth, terrific new thread! Very Happy

Hi ul! Welcome home! How was your trip to Passau?

Recall when living in the bay, beautiful Snow Geese flew over the house on their way to sanctuary on the mountain that stands behind where my family home is. Calling to each other during their flight, we had plenty of time to go outside for viewing them before they disappeared.
Was very cool. Smile

Dan, yep LOL --

The symbol for beer is an upright jug with a pointed base. It appears three times on the tablet.

http://www.roie.org/images/bb033.gif

Samarian Bar Tab... <grin>

http://www.roie.org/images/plimpton.gif
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:45 pm
ehBeth, terrific link! Thanks Very Happy

Arctic Terns - The species is strongly migratory, seeing two summers each year as it migrates from its northern breeding grounds to the oceans around Antarctica and back each year. The migration is the longest regular migration by any known animal.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Arctic_terns.jpg/200px-Arctic_terns.jpg
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:52 pm
Merry Andrew, it does make sense doesn't it.... Lately, there are more findings published by archaeologists than ever before and some have discovered evidence of alcohol well before the first settlement of a nomadic tribe in what is now Iraq. During our last visit to Europe we made a point of staying at Ceske Budejovice - at which place I cowtowed in front of the brewery. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Besides, in your neck of the woods - the early American Pilgrams are reported - in their own words - to have stopped at Plymouth Rock to replenish their beer supply. And, of course stayed.

My early ancestors were already in Hampton, VA and gave them all a hearty welcome. big grin

Stradee, that is facinating re the cuneiform writings - I actually prepared a thesis entitled 'The Origins of the Business Document' while at the U of Tampa in '74 and got a good review. Apparently, until very recently the Mesopotamians were thought to be the first to have developed a unique style of writing. Now, there is evidently some doubt - maybe the very early Egyptians were earlier - but, that is all still up for grabs - at least that's what I think. Some of what I found is the very earliest clay tablets were kept as records for personal holdings of livestock and grains. Then, there were tablets sent by messenger to certain people dunning for payment - in a polite manner of course. The translations of the letters were the same as today. Greetings, the Meat of the letter and lastly the Salutation. Some things really don't change that rapidly. Grin Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:05 am
g'day wildclickers!

Dan, the Sumarians also invented beer, and the first factory brewery. They did however, ration bread and beer. Why that is anyones guess. Probably because of export costs. [and why workers unions were invented] Very Happy

Sending messages, they also invented envelopes. Couriers were probably Iraq and Irans modern day version of olympic decathelon folk...
<grin>

http://www.roie.org/images/bm040.gif

ehBeth,
Not only do Arctic Terns hold the record for the longest migration of any animal [22,000 mi. round trip} Among mammals, gray whales and northern elephant seals are the migration champions, traveling 13,000 miles round trip each year!

From the same Smithonian page - Animal longevity champion -

drum roll

In the 1770s, British explorer Captain Cook presented to the Tongan royal family a Madagascar radiated tortoise, which died in 1965, making the tortoise at least 188 years old. Several Galápagos tortoises have lived past age 150... [Moses] Shocked :wink:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/AnimalRecords/

And from the Sumarian Tablets

http://www.roie.org/images/bm046.gif

The tablet is one of three, containing the Epic of Atrahasis -
http://www.hope.edu/bandstra/RTOT/CH1/CH1_1A3B.HTM

ul, kudos to the Netherlands for rescuing the horses! Very Happy

Howdy Merry and all ~ Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:32 am
Music and migration ... click

click forward from that page - interesting stuff

or look at the entire "chapter" Huddled Masses covering ...

Quote:
The Statue of Liberty

Emma Lazarus

The New Immigrants

Birds of Passage

Chinese Exclusion Act

Angel Island

Japanese Immigration

Contract Labor

Immigration Restriction

Migration and Disease

The United States's Changing Face

Migration Today

Evaluating the Economic Costs and Benefits of Immigration

Migration as a Key Theme in U.S. and World History

Kinds of Migrants

The Stages of Migration

The Language of Cultural Mixture and Persistence

Music and Migration

Why Do People Migrate?

Who Migrates?

The Human Meaning of Migration

Language and Migration

Movies and Migration

Statue of Liberty Quiz
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:05 pm
Interesting, ehBeth! Thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 02:04 pm
Well, beer- saw a lot of it these last days. Bavaria.
Budweis-(King of Dishwater?), I am wondering: US Budweis or Cz Budweis?

ehBeth, your link is very interesting. I love the timeline.
I remember one summer job- ringing migratory birds. That was fun.

Maybe you remember Selma Lagerlöf's "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils"- a booked based on the route of the wild geese through Sweden. It was written to be used in Geography in Swedish schools.

Climate Change Linked to Migratory Bird Decrease
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 04:06 pm
ul, the primary reason for my visiting Ceske Budejovice was to visit the brewery. That is from where the recipe and name for the American Budweiser beer came. That was such an interesting town to visit.

Stradee, that's interesting re the Epic of Atrahasis tablet. It partially describes what I found many years ago when researching my paper on business documents. The then religion in Mesopotamia followed VERY closely the Old Testaments Genesis Chapter. But, considering that the old man Abraham himself came originally from Mesopotamia (Ur), it makes sense that the stories would be similar. There are other similarities - the Psalms for instance - are almost, in some cases, the exact wording of writings attributed to an Egyptian named Amenamop. Those old Bible authors had to get their ideas from somewhere. Very Happy

The early Mesopotamians (before they were Mesopotamians) were at the time of my study considered to have been the first people to stop wandering after game and establishing a permanent home site. The then term for the area was the Cradle of Civilization and/or the Fertile Cresent. I am not sure if that theory still is true. Lately I have watched the History Channel and have seen in old England (before it was old England) the excavation of an area where a house was built and occupied for an extended period of time - that was approx 10,000 years ago. That could be possibly an older settlement than those in Sumer.

Anyway, I love a good beer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 04:41 pm
Great earthturn to all the wildclickers!

Dark out there - awfully early. Hard to get an extra walk in with the dogs when it's dark by 17:30 Confused

~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 299 friends have supported 2,639,160.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 136,163.1 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 299 friends have supported: (136,163.1)

American Prairie habitat supported: 57,305.6 square feet.
You have supported: (14,163.4)
Your 299 friends have supported: (43,142.2)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,445,691.8 square feet.
You have supported: (175,169.4)
Your 299 friends have supported: (2,270,522.4)

~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1601 60.582 acres

~~~~~~~~~

I think I'd like to migrate to someplace sunnier. Not warmer. Just sunnier.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:00 pm
Ul, no, I wasn't referring to the Czech Budweis. But that product made by the Anheuser-Busch brewery of St. Louis, MO, and also called Budweiser, certainly does not merit the name of beer. You know what beer is : it's bier as in Würtzburger.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:25 pm
In America, the indians greeted Columbus with an offering of beer, and the Aztecs, Myans, and Incas were producing beer hundreds of years before Europeans landed in the New World. The second brewery from Europe was built shortly after passengers from the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock - who btw ran out of beer during the voyage. They immediately built a church, planted hobs, and celebrated thanksgiving.
<grin>
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:09 pm
Three retired military guys, each with a hearing loss, took a walk together one fine Fall day. One remarked, "Windy isn't it?"
"No." the second man replied, "It's Thursday!"
The third man chimed in, "So am I, Let's go have a beer."

Very Happy
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:20 pm
Merry Andrew, I totally agree with you - most of the beer in USA is flavored water. There are some really good beers though - In the two states Oregon and Washington the micro breweries are more than 25% of the micro breweries in USA. Most of them are really good. My favorite of all is here in Texas - it's the one I cited to you several months ago - Shiner.

http://www.shiner.com/home.html

Here is a map to determine how close you are to a Shiner.

http://www.shiner.com/dist_map/availabilityMap.html#

OOPs, looks like it's not yet in Mass - but, it's in Penn and Del !!

Browse the brew............. :wink:

I go for beer now.

Very Happy

The migratory effects of beer are stunningly amazing. Too many and who knows where they are. Shocked

((Just trying to keep to the subject, ehBeth.....)) :wink:
0 Replies