Edward Jones investing company

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:06 am
I'm really curious about this I've tried to find information on this company over the web but haven't been able to. I just want to see if i can find any positive or negative feedback from them. Can someone help me shed some light on this area?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,964 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
I do know some one who considered working for Edward Jones. From what I remember I believe as a financial planner type position, Edward Jones does seem to be one of the better companies to work for - they seem a bit more reputable.

I do want to forewarn you though that working as a financial planner is really tough work. Long, long hours and little pay at the beginning. Cold calls - rejections left and right. You pretty much work off of commissions - and it takes a long long time to build a customer base so you may have no pay or little pay for quite a while. I dated a financial planner for several years. Lots of rejections, lots of nights and weekends. However, if you are good and can stick it out, it can be rewarding even to the point where you are not working as many hours as a traditional job - but this takes years.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:11 pm
http://www.edwardjones.com/cgi/getHTML.cgi?page=/USA/home/index.html

From what I understand, it is a reputable company, but you really need to do some research on it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:13 pm
Oooh........look what I found. It is #16 on Fortune Magazine's "!00 Best Companies to work for" Not too shabby!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/snapshots/461.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
One other thing - Edward Jones is a more difficult firm to get into than the typical financial planning firm. I believe because they have a much better support system and training in place. Many of the financial planning firms are just slightly better than those boiler room type brokerage firms.

If you are really serious and willing to do the work of financial planner - from what I have seen in the industry - Edward Jones should be one of the top choices.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:45 am
Yeah, I don't handle rejection well so I guess it's not the field for me.

Do you know whether they pay a base rate? Can anyone confirm this? I remember reading it off a website somewhere.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:09 am
I know my husband actually did look into working for Edward Jones. I can't remember if they paid a base rate, however, if they did I believe it was based on a draw or was for a limited time. For example, while you are getting your meet wet learning the ropes, they give you a small amount - after a period of time maybe 3 - 6 months you work off a draw and then you are on your own.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:30 pm
what do you mean "draw" ? like a raffle?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:08 pm
That would be a draw against future earnings, such as that may be.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:39 am
In other words:

Quote:
Form of salesperson's compensation whereby the salesperson is paid in advance against expected future sales.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:05 pm
Thank you both - that is exactly what I meant.
0 Replies