Kerry issues apology

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:07 am
McGentrix wrote:
snood wrote:
Don't like inappropriate jokes about the war and snide smirks, huh? Where were you when Bush was making those "can't find the WMD" jokes?

His jokes were funny and appropriate to the forum he was in. Kerry was just being an ass and ended up offending a lot of people.

His "Bush" jokes amount to U.S. Deaths Confirmed By The DoD: 2820
Reported U.S. Deaths Pending DoD Confirmation: 6
Total 2826
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:07 am
McG
FYI the sight of Bush offends people. The fact that he embarasses the people of the US with his actions offends people. The fact that he is a bold faced liar offends people.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:19 am
McGentrix wrote:
snood wrote:
Don't like inappropriate jokes about the war and snide smirks, huh? Where were you when Bush was making those "can't find the WMD" jokes?

His jokes were funny and appropriate to the forum he was in. Kerry was just being an ass and ended up offending a lot of people.

Interesting reaction, McGentrix. Especially as on the other Kerry thread you started, you made this rather insightful statement here:

McGentrix wrote:
Kerry got caught with his foot in his mouth. It happens. It also happens to a lot of other people and the reactions are almost always the same. Those that agree with the gaffer defend the actions and make excuses while those opposed make it into a grand scale event.

It's really true, innit? I guess you can argue whether or not Bush's jokes were funny, but they were certainly inappropriate. Difference is that he didn't so much offend the US military (or only in a certain way: 585 US soldiers had died "searching for WMD" when Bush made those jokes), but rather the families of thousands of Iraqis that have been killed due to the American invasion.

Were Bush's jokes appropriate for "the forum he was in"? Well, the forum was an event for radio and television journalists in Washington. And, by implication, the American and international public. So making jokes in front of journalists is an appropriate forum, but making jokes in front of a number of students isn't?

Nah, I really don't see how Bush was not being an ass or didn't end up offending a lot of people.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
Of course you guys feel the way you do, you don't like W., and therefore everything he does you will find fault with. I will lose no sleep being concerned with your opinions and I am sure you will do likewise.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:28 am
Then again, many liberal posters here on A2K admitted that Kerry's "botched joke" could be seen as offensive.

Now wouldn't it be nice if the righties could do the same when the issue is Bush?

(I smell a yellow dog....)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:35 am
old europe wrote:
(I smell a yellow dog....)

Perhaps you should bathe?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:38 am
Man McG - we say that Kerry's remarks were stupid and that Bush's were also stupid and inappropriate. You say that's just because we "don't like W", but you only see the wrong in Kerry's case.

Do you ever wonder if maybe your reaction's are just blindly partisan, with no regard about what's right or wrong? How can you justify Bush making jokes about finding those weapons, when there were soldiers involved - at that moment - fighting and dying in search of them?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
It's just too hard to say something like "Yeah, I guess Bush's jokes did offend some people", right?

I mean, what was that whole sermon here about:

[URL=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2351751#2351751]McGentrix, on the thread he started[/URL] wrote:
It's obvious that Kerry made a gaffe. That's why he is a dork.

The main reason I wanted to be sure to post this was to guage the liberal reaction and was not surprised in the least. Well, ok, maybe Nimh surprised me a bit. I thought we had agreed on something once before this.

Kerry got caught with his foot in his mouth. It happens. It also happens to a lot of other people and the reactions are almost always the same. Those that agree with the gaffer defend the actions and make excuses while those opposed make it into a grand scale event.

Personally, I don't believe for a minute that Kerry was calling our troops idiots or that people that join the military are dumber then those that don't. He didn't get to his position in life with that kind of thinking.

I would ask only one thing though as a result of this whole thing. For the liberals to remember this event and how stupid the reaction from the right has been. It's a refelction of your reaction to gaffes from the other side.

Now the issue of Bush's WMD jokes has been brought up. And look at your reaction: you're deflecting, you're criticizing everyone else for being opposed to Bush all the way, and you're making jokes about it. Anything but admit that Bush made a botched joke.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:58 am
What a bunch of pansies. The Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner has a long history of being a night of levity between the president and the press. You can't see the difference between joking in a forum meant to be funny and **** up when making a speech denigrating the President of the United States because you are so blinded by your political bias.

It wasn't a botched joke, it was a joke in bad taste based on the news of the day. Bush was making fun of himself, not taking cheap shots at others. I am hardly surprised to see the usual suspects come here and try to make a big deal out of this now.

Obviously you either didn't read, or understand what I wrote in the Kerry thread because if you did, you wouldn't be here making a dick of yourself saying that I only see the wrong in Kerry's case.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
What a bunch of pansies. The Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner has a long history of being a night of levity between the president and the press. You can't see the difference between joking in a forum meant to be funny and **** up when making a speech denigrating the President of the United States because you are so blinded by your political bias.

Oh, I do acknowledge that it was meant as a joke at the Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner. And the audience there apparently thought it was funny.
However, people who were not present at the event thought it wasn't that funny after all. Maybe because they didn't get it, or because they had lost family members in Iraq, or whatever.

So, for some reason, it did offend some people. That's all I've been saying.

McGentrix wrote:
Bush was making fun of himself, not taking cheap shots at others.

Maybe. Probably. However, it could be interpreted in a different way. Right?

McGentrix wrote:
Obviously you either didn't read, or understand what I wrote in the Kerry thread because if you did, you wouldn't be here making a dick of yourself saying that I only see the wrong in Kerry's case.

McG, I didn't say you only saw the wrong in Kerry's case. Kerry's words have been interpreted as being offensive towards the military. It was quite easy to misinterprete his words, because he botched the joke and actually sounded offensive.
Likewise, Bush's joke has been interpreted as being offensive. And it was easy to misinterprete his joke, too, during a time when American soldiers were dying while "searching for WMD".

You basically denied the possibility that Bush's joke was offensive to some people.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:12 am
McGentrix wrote:
snood wrote:

Guess you had to have been in a tux and in front of your base for it to be funny. And sadly, coming out of the mouth of the President who was hell bent to sacrifice troops looking for weapons even he knew didn't exist....I found very inappropriate and certainly not funny. Picture Ted Bundy making jokes regarding his victims in prison, does that forum make it appropriate and funny.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:21 am
Bush delivered his "where are the WMDs?" joke at a time when American journalists still behaved like lap dogs. Those days, thankfully, are over!
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:28 pm
It takes a very special person to make fun of a war that killed thousands of soldiers and ten-thousands of civilians.
And when that special person is the man who started that immoral war, one can only stare in disbelief.
0 Replies