Capital Punishment --- For or Against?

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:34 pm
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
What does that have to do with CP?

You brought it up. I'm just trying to find out why.
I think if you believed that your kid was a danger to society you would want him to be incarcerated. You say no. So I ask, would you let him stay at your house?

I said I would want him to have every opportunity to prove his innocence. That is what I was talking about when I said that no parent wants their kid in jail or executed.

If a jury found that he was a danger to society, then he would take the punishment that society deems fit. That is why I as the parent wouldn't be allowed on the jury. I don't get to make that determination, it would have nothing to do with what I believed.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:51 am
You are being a hostile witness, rl!

My point is this:
Although you would obviously be conflicted, ultimately, you would want your dangerous, murdering kid (hypothetical, of course) to be locked away somewhere, but you would not want him to be executed. Why? You claim it's just because you're the parent (which makes your opinion worthless)... Is that correct?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:02 pm
Yes, as the parent my opinion would be biased, not objective.

That's why we don't base the criminal justice system on the opinions of the parents of the accused.

No hostility intended. I thought I was being pretty plain spoken, and I see you did understand exactly what I said.

Well, I'm glad you got your wish for a CP thread, echi. I see that you are enjoying it immensely and I appreciate the passion and thought that you put into your position.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:45 am
echi wrote:

My point is this:
Although you would obviously be conflicted, ultimately, you would want your dangerous, murdering kid (hypothetical, of course) to be locked away somewhere, but you would not want him to be executed. Why? You claim it's just because you're the parent (which makes your opinion worthless)... Is that correct?

That is a rediculous question. No parent would want his child to be executed regardless of the circumstances. Is that the basis upon which to be against CP? I hardly think so.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 05:37 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Capital punishment should be a last resort for those criminals who are too dangerous to want to keep around and guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt whatsoever.

Ladies and gentleman of the jury....do you find the defendant .....
guilty...?
quite guilty...?
really very guilty....?
almost certainly guilty...?
definitely guilty....?
guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt......?
or guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt whatsoever....?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:39 am
au1929 wrote:
echi wrote:

My point is this:

That is a rediculous question. No parent would want his child to be executed regardless of the circumstances. Is that the basis upon which to be against CP? I hardly think so.

Kinda scary when au1929 and I agree.

*Rethinking*
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
Interesting article.

see full story at http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3263838

Quote:
Studies Say Death Penalty Deters Crime
Studies Create New Round in Death Penalty Debates: Do Executions Deter Other Murderers?

By ROBERT TANNER AP National Writer
Jun 11, 2007 (AP)

Anti-death penalty forces have gained momentum in the past few years, with a moratorium in Illinois, court disputes over lethal injection in more than a half-dozen states and progress toward outright abolishment in New Jersey.

The steady drumbeat of DNA exonerations pointing out flaws in the justice system has weighed against capital punishment. The moral opposition is loud, too, echoed in Europe and the rest of the industrialized world, where all but a few countries banned executions years ago.

What gets little notice, however, is a series of academic studies over the last half-dozen years that claim to settle a once hotly debated argument whether the death penalty acts as a deterrent to murder. The analyses say yes. They count between three and 18 lives that would be saved by the execution of each convicted killer.

The reports have horrified death penalty opponents and several scientists, who vigorously question the data and its implications

So far, the studies have had little impact on public policy. New Jersey's commission on the death penalty this year dismissed the body of knowledge on deterrence as "inconclusive."

But the ferocious argument in academic circles could eventually spread to a wider audience, as it has in the past.

"Science does really draw a conclusion. It did. There is no question about it," said Naci Mocan, an economics professor at the University of Colorado at Denver. "The conclusion is there is a deterrent effect."

A 2003 study he co-authored, and a 2006 study that re-examined the data, found that each execution results in five fewer homicides, and commuting a death sentence means five more homicides. "The results are robust, they don't really go away," he said. "I oppose the death penalty. But my results show that the death penalty (deters) what am I going to do, hide them?"

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:56 am
Quote:

What gets little notice, however, is a series of academic studies over the last half-dozen years that claim to settle a once hotly debated argument whether the death penalty acts as a deterrent to murder. The analyses say yes. They count between three and 18 lives that would be saved by the execution of each convicted killer....

That's not only junk science, it's irrelevant junk science. You're still talking about handling all the Mike Nifongs of the land a license to simply round up people they don't like and kill them. I'd rather just deal with the ordinary murderers who, worst case, at least do not have the power of the state behind them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:58 am
Eorl wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Capital punishment should be a last resort for those criminals who are too dangerous to want to keep around and guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt whatsoever.

Ladies and gentleman of the jury....do you find the defendant .....
guilty...?
quite guilty...?
really very guilty....?
almost certainly guilty...?
definitely guilty....?
guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt......?
or guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt whatsoever....?

Congratulations on having figured it out, that's the problem. You'd never get two people to agree on what guilt beyond any doubt whatsoever might mean.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:58 am
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:

What gets little notice, however, is a series of academic studies over the last half-dozen years that claim to settle a once hotly debated argument whether the death penalty acts as a deterrent to murder. The analyses say yes. They count between three and 18 lives that would be saved by the execution of each convicted killer....

That's not only junk science, it's irrelevant junk science. You're still talking about handling all the Mike Nifongs of the land a license to simply round up people they don't like and kill them. I'd rather just deal with the ordinary murderers who, worst case, at least do not have the power of the state behind them.

Have you never heard of a jury?

Prosecutors can't simply kill whoever they wish.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:37 am
Locked away and capital punishment are not the same. You can't reverse a mistake with capital punishment.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:57 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Locked away and capital punishment are not the same. You can't reverse a mistake with capital punishment.
And our criminal justice system is a synonym for mistake.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:06 am
As long as humans determine the defendant's fate, mistakes will be made based on many reasons. The attorneys, the jury, and the judge are all prone to incompetence and mistakes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:43 am
Well stated, CI.

It can never be infallible, so we cah't use it to kill people.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:07 pm
Lash wrote:
Well stated, CI.

It can never be infallible, so we cah't use it to kill people.
right

and the cost...interminable appeals, re trials etc

and the distress to the family..why should they be bereaved of their "loved one" courtesy of the state?

and if its to do with revenge, why a quick death? Why not slow torture to death?

And in Christian counties we accept the justice of the Lord. (not that I am Christian or live in a Christian country, but its influenced the law). So how can we have the balls so second guess God?

Plus redemption of sins, no chance of that if she's hung by the neck.

The whole capital punishment argument is absurd and is only propagated by morons.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:50 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

The whole capital punishment argument is absurd and is only propagated by morons.

It's not really absurd in cases like Manson or Paul Bernardo. In theory at least.... Only problem is, there's no real way to make good distinctions.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:29 pm
real life wrote:
Interesting article.

Quote:

The steady drumbeat of DNA exonerations pointing out flaws in the justice system has weighed against capital punishment....

The analyses say yes. They count between three and 18 lives that would be saved by the execution of each convicted killer.

Right, so the exonerated convincted killers would no doubt be at the bottom end the scale....You'd save at least three people for each convicted killer hanged that would otherwise be exonerated later.

Hmmm, OK, in that case we may be onto something.

I wonder how much will the murder rate drop if we execute anyone who's only suspected of having committed murder? What if we torture them first, that would be an even greater deterrent...?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:10 am
What you're seeing here is a very rare bird, i.e. junk science arising on the right; 99% of junk science comes from the left.

There is absolutely no way to look at somebody and say "Congratulations Sally, you're alive today because we executed John Doe two years ago!!"

The ONLY caveat anybody needs to make is that when you RELEASE murderers, people sometimes get killed on account of it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:45 am
gungasnake wrote:
What you're seeing here is a very rare bird, i.e. junk science arising on the right; 99% of junk science comes from the left....
yet more proof that 99% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Your ignorance of stats and your political petticoat bias is showing gunga.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:20 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
What you're seeing here is a very rare bird, i.e. junk science arising on the right; 99% of junk science comes from the left....
yet more proof that 99% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Your ignorance of stats and your political petticoat bias is showing gunga.
Hyperbole, certainly. The only argument is in the %.
0 Replies