Capital Punishment --- For or Against?

echi

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
Mame wrote:
If the crime is committed in the heat of emotion, then it follows that the criminal is consumed with his crime, not the deterrent aspect. Life in Prison/CP - virtually no diff to a lifer. If he's going to get the guy, he's going to get the guy - life or no life.

I think you're right, Mame. It is a bit absurd to expect a criminal to possess or utilize any "common sense".

real life,

Can you imagine any punishment that you think might serve as a greater deterrent than CP?

No. Can you?

I can imagine countless forms of execution that would be far more painful and/or humiliating, and so can you. I even gave you a few examples. The question is, would you be in favor of these "more severe penalties"? Yes or no? Why or why not?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:30 pm
real life, I see you ignored my question about getting better behaviour from children by hitting them harder.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
Mame wrote:
If the crime is committed in the heat of emotion, then it follows that the criminal is consumed with his crime, not the deterrent aspect. Life in Prison/CP - virtually no diff to a lifer. If he's going to get the guy, he's going to get the guy - life or no life.

I think you're right, Mame. It is a bit absurd to expect a criminal to possess or utilize any "common sense".

real life,

Can you imagine any punishment that you think might serve as a greater deterrent than CP?

No. Can you?

I can imagine countless forms of execution that would be far more painful and/or humiliating, and so can you. I even gave you a few examples. The question is, would you be in favor of these "more severe penalties"? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Well perhaps I did not understand your question properly.

I thought you were asking 'What other punishment might be a greater deterrent than CP?'

Were you instead asking 'What other form of CP would be a greater deterrent than the form(s) currently used?'
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:13 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life, I see you ignored my question about getting better behaviour from children by hitting them harder.

Yeah pretty much. I don't see the relevance of the question.

It might be relevant to someone who believes in hitting children. Why don't you find someone who does and ask them?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:28 am
The relevance is obvious.

Does the effectiveness of the deterrent of punishing children more severely, make it "right" to do so?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:59 am
Eorl wrote:

Does the effectiveness of the deterrent of punishing children more severely, make it "right" to do so?

I think most parents recognize that a more severe punishment is befitting a greater misdeed and is a greater deterrent.

If a child misbehaves , the parent may restrict his computer usage for a day. If the child repeats the behavior or commits a greater misdeed , the computer may be off limits for a week, etc

Is this not the case?

If the child knows that no matter what he does, the greatest penalty will be restriction of the computer usage for 10 minutes, do you think that is as much a deterrent as the greater penalty? Common sense should give you the correct answer.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:39 am
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
Mame wrote:

real life,

No. Can you?

Well perhaps I did not understand your question properly.

I thought you were asking 'What other punishment might be a greater deterrent than CP?'

Were you instead asking 'What other form of CP would be a greater deterrent than the form(s) currently used?'

Any form of punishment, CP included. No holds barred.
real life wrote:
Common sense will tell you ... that a more severe penalty is a greater deterrent than a lesser penalty.
Where and why do you draw the line? For the worst criminal offenders, is there any penalty that you would consider too severe?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:

I think most parents recognize that a more severe punishment is befitting a greater misdeed and is a greater deterrent.

If a child misbehaves , the parent may restrict his computer usage for a day. If the child repeats the behavior or commits a greater misdeed , the computer may be off limits for a week, etc

Is this not the case?

If the child knows that no matter what he does, the greatest penalty will be restriction of the computer usage for 10 minutes, do you think that is as much a deterrent as the greater penalty? Common sense should give you the correct answer.

If you had an adult child who was convicted of capital murder would you seek and/or support his execution?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:48 am
If I might jump in here, if my son were Jeffrey Dahmer, I'd be sick to my stomach and would be glad he was put to death. I don't care about any of this high-falutin' "sanctity of life" stuff - sometimes nature makes a mistake and we wind up with someone so sick that he cannot be helped.

We put down dogs that go wild; why not people? Is human life such a very much more precious and valued commodity than an animal's? Who determines that? We, because we can think and express such a thought?

Not only was Jeffrey aberrant; he was a menace to all that walked. He has no right to stalk and murder people at will. I'm for CP for him because what's the point of his living? He will not rehabilitate. He has something seriously wrong with him. He should be put out of his own misery.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:16 pm
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:

Is this not the case?

If you had an adult child who was convicted of capital murder would you seek and/or support his execution?

I'm sure that I would act as most parents in a similar situation would.

That's WHY it would not be left in my hands, because I'm too close to the situation and as a society we want objective persons to dispassionately decide what is proper.

That's why relatives of the victim and relatives of the accused would NOT be allowed on the jury to decide guilt or innocence, or to decide punishment if convicted.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:57 pm
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:

Is this not the case?

That's WHY it would not be left in my hands, because I'm too close to the situation and as a society we want objective persons to dispassionately decide what is proper.

That's why relatives of the victim and relatives of the accused would NOT be allowed on the jury to decide guilt or innocence, or to decide punishment if convicted.

You would support the death penalty for other people's kids but not your own.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:25 pm
Mame wrote:
If I might jump in here, if my son were Jeffrey Dahmer, I'd be sick to my stomach and would be glad he was put to death. I don't care about any of this high-falutin' "sanctity of life" stuff - sometimes nature makes a mistake and we wind up with someone so sick that he cannot be helped.
So, you feel a responsibility to help people when you feel like you can, but if no one can help them then they should die.

Quote:
We put down dogs that go wild;
Speak for yourself.
Quote:
why not people? Is human life such a very much more precious and valued commodity than an animal's?
It's interesting how many mass murderers had histories of animal torture. I'm not sure what it means, but it's interesting, don't you think?
Quote:
Who determines that? We, because we can think and express such a thought?

Not only was Jeffrey aberrant; he was a menace to all that walked. He has no right to stalk and murder people at will. I'm for CP for him because what's the point of his living?
Careful! That's a slippery slope.
Quote:
He will not rehabilitate. He has something seriously wrong with him. He should be put out of his own misery.
Good news for you: He's dead.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:31 pm
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:

Is this not the case?

I would act in a similar manner if he had committed a crime that was NOT a capital crime and the punishment was 'only' jail.

I would not want him to go to jail, and would do everything I could to be sure he had opportunity to prove his innocence, make sure due process was properly followed, etc.

But it wouldn't be left up to me. Society makes the call on it, not the relatives of the victim and not the relatives of the accused.

So would you say 'RL supports jail time for other's kids but not his own' ?

Ok , nobody wants jail OR execution for their kids. What's news about that?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:34 pm
echi wrote:
Mame wrote:
So, you feel a responsibility to help people when you feel like you can, but if no one can help them then they should die.

We, as a society, have a responsibility to protect the innocent from predators.

It's not just about 'helping' the guilty.

We have a responsibility to 'help' the innocent not become victims.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:42 pm
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:

Is this not the case?

I would act in a similar manner if he had committed a crime that was NOT a capital crime and the punishment was 'only' jail.

I'm asking you about capital punishment, not jail. You're saying that if you knew your (hypothetical) adult son was a murderer, you would have no problem having him spend the night at your house? You think you might lock your bedroom door, at least?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:48 pm
Sorry I don't remember you asking any such thing previously. So when you answer 'you're saying.......' , I have said no such thing because the topic has not come up.

What does that have to do with CP?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
real life wrote:
echi wrote:
I'm asking you about capital punishment, not jail. You're saying that if you knew your (hypothetical) adult son was a murderer, you would have no problem having him spend the night at your house? You think you might lock your bedroom door, at least?

Sorry I don't remember you asking any such thing previously. So when you answer 'you're saying.......' , I have said no such thing because the topic has not come up.

It isn't a quote, it's a question.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:08 pm
real life wrote:
What does that have to do with CP?

You brought it up. I'm just trying to find out why.
I think if you believed that your kid was a danger to society you would want him to be incarcerated. You say no. So I ask, would you let him stay at your house?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:26 pm
Mame wrote:
I would be for Capital Punishment for people who committed heinous, multiple, senseless murders like Jeffrey Dahmer or Clifford Olson, pedophile-extraordinaire.

I don't think they deserve to live while the families live without their loved one.

And why should the State waste money keeping him/her alive? What's the benefit to anyone?

You've nearly figured it out. Capital punishment should be a last resort for those criminals who are too dangerous to want to keep around and guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt whatsoever, which would usually mean people guilty of multiple capital offenses. In particular, the usual criteria of "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" simply is not good enough for capital punishment since you cannot unhang somebody. DNA studies indicate a strong likelihood that innocent people have been being put to death here and there in America, which is plainly unacceptable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:25 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Mame wrote:
I would be for Capital Punishment for people who committed heinous, multiple, senseless murders like Jeffrey Dahmer or Clifford Olson, pedophile-extraordinaire.

I don't think they deserve to live while the families live without their loved one.

And why should the State waste money keeping him/her alive? What's the benefit to anyone?

You've nearly figured it out. Capital punishment should be a last resort for those criminals who are too dangerous to want to keep around and guilty beyond any shadow of a doubt whatsoever, which would usually mean people guilty of multiple capital offenses. In particular, the usual criteria of "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" simply is not good enough for capital punishment since you cannot unhang somebody. DNA studies indicate a strong likelihood that innocent people have been being put to death here and there in America, which is plainly unacceptable.

Those guilty of one capital offense qualify in my view.

No need to wait until they've done it again.
0 Replies