1
   

Capital Punishment --- For or Against?

 
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:52 am
au1929 wrote:
echi wrote:
You are being a hostile witness, rl!

My point is this:
Although you would obviously be conflicted, ultimately, you would want your dangerous, murdering kid (hypothetical, of course) to be locked away somewhere, but you would not want him to be executed. Why? You claim it's just because you're the parent (which makes your opinion worthless)... Is that correct?


That is a rediculous question. No parent would want his child to be executed regardless of the circumstances. Is that the basis upon which to be against CP? I hardly think so.

(What's the statute of limitations for posting a response at A2K? Confused Oh, well...)
I reject the idea that parents are less able to make rational decisions regarding the fate of their adult children. Nothing "rediculous" about that. What's ridiculous is that people continue to believe that state sponsored revenge killing somehow benefits the health and safety of our society. (Should we put it on TV then?)
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:56 am
We don't allow the family and friends of the accused to sit on the jury for a very good reason. They are probably not going to be objective.

Your question:

Quote:
If you had an adult child who was convicted of capital murder would you seek and/or support his execution?


which started this current line of discussion , is irrelevant for that reason.

You may 'reject the idea that parents are less able to make rational decisions regarding the fate of their adult children' all you wish.

Most everybody else can see why objectivity in a jury is a good idea.

Good to hear from you though, echi. No statute of limitations on a good discussion, eh? Smile
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:17 pm
Here's an example of the reality of parents and/or siblings speaking on behalf of a convicted rapist and killer. During the prosectuion phase, the sibling of the accused was on the stand to speak on behalf of the prosecution, but during the penalty phase, he asked for mercy and asked the jury to give his brother life in prison without the possibility of parole in lieu of the death penalty. The man's grandmother also asked for life in prison. The convicted rapist-murder is now serving a life term in prison.

I was on the jury, and was also the foreman during the trial and penalty phase. I hope never to serve in another capital crime trial.
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
So if this convicted rapist and killer continues to rape and kill while in prison, is it OK with you because those other folks in prison probably deserved it anyway, CI?

Do persons in prison not have a right to protection?

If they are serving for robbery, or tax fraud or some such, do they just deserve to become victims themselves?

Perhaps we should make sure EVERY prisoner is raped and killed, just to make it fair?
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:31 pm
real, You seem ignorant of so many things in life, why do you even bother to show it on a2k?

Life in prison is no picnic, and if anybody is the victim, the new "kid on the block" is the one who'll get raped. They don't have co-ed jails or prisons. You're too ignorant for your own good.
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:39 pm
Boy , CI, you got me there.

Your name calling has convinced me.

Why did you wait so long? I am finally enlightened.

I am fully convinced of the rightness of your position. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
real: Boy , CI, you got me there.

Your name calling has convinced me.

Why did you wait so long? I am finally enlightened.

I am fully convinced of the rightness of your position.


Now you've gone from ignorant to complete stupidity. You must be proud!
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
real life wrote:
We don't allow the family and friends of the accused to sit on the jury for a very good reason. They are probably not going to be objective.
I agree. A friend or family member might be willing to go against their better judgment in order to spare the accused a just sentence.
rl wrote:
Your question:

Quote:
If you had an adult child who was convicted of capital murder would you seek and/or support his execution?


which started this current line of discussion , is irrelevant for that reason.
No, it isn't. You agreed that you would support his incarceration but not his execution. That seems very reasonable.

rl wrote:
You may 'reject the idea that parents are less able to make rational decisions regarding the fate of their adult children' all you wish.

Most everybody else can see why objectivity in a jury is a good idea.
I agree that objectivity in a jury is a good idea. And I agree that parents of the accused should not serve on juries. I also think people who support capital punishment should not serve on juries, as they also lack a significant amount of objectivity.

rl wrote:
Good to hear from you though, echi. No statute of limitations on a good discussion, eh? Smile

I hope not. I don't know how I missed that one.
0 Replies
 
IFeelFree
 
  1  
Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 01:51 pm
One argument against capital punishment is that the criminal is deprived of the opportunity to dwell on what they have done. Long years in prison provides a person a lot of time to reflect. It sometimes happens that such a person has a change of heart during that time. They may come to a place of acceptance of their guilt and a desire to become a better person. When such a person finally dies, they may be free of the anger or fear that motived the violent act that brought them to prison.

If the criminal is not executed, the family of the victim is deprived of the vengeance they sometimes seek, but that is just blood lust. They will be better, happier people in the long run if they are able to get to a place of forgiveness. If the criminal remains in prison, they have time to heal and release the feelings of hatred. They may eventually find forgiveness in their hearts, if it is possible. Satisfying vengeance, on the other hand, doesn't bring an end to hatred. It just satisfies the base urge to attack another person. Acting on anger doesn't destroy the seed of anger.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/16/2019 at 06:56:57