Is US-Mexico Border Fence needed to protect US security?

Nikki88

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:01 am
The American people demand border security but I'm sure construction of 700-mile fence along Mexican border is unable to gain control of this area of illegal immigration. I rally to opinion of Gov. Janet Napolitano, who, smashing the idea of a border wall, told the Associated Press, "Show me a 50-foot wall and I'll show you a 51-foot ladder at the border!"
Thus, the fence plan is absolutely ineffective for strengthening our southern borders. On the contrary the creation of 1100 km fence along a third of the US border with Mexico may lead only to raising the flow of illegal immigrants into the United States. And there is no surprise that according to a poll by Opinion Research Corp, for CNN, 53% of Americans oppose the barrier construction.
Moreover, the bill that Bush has signed on October 4 was not a step towards immigration reform at all. It has become a step backward on human rights; a step forward in making America similar to GDR totalitarian regime, committed a grave mistake in building the Berlin Wall. Formerly we laid to Eastern Germany charge for superfluous xenophobia. What for? Now instead of finding better tools to enforce our immigration laws we are building the second Berlin Wall! So much for our being the torch of liberty and democracy! The US-Mexico Wall completely damages our democratic image in the eye of world community.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 507 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
FDR had programs (WPA-Ec) to rake leaves from one side of a public park to the other and then back again, this gave people work and income. It's also very symbolic.
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:50 pm
Personally I think that fence is a bad image for the US to the world, because USA has always defended the fact of not division between countries. And history has taught to us, that walls, fences or divisions create little by little the racism. US Children will believe Mexico is the worst country, with criminals, so that is why the USA built the wall. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:50 pm
Personally I think that fence is a bad image for the US to the world, because USA has always defended the fact of not division between countries. And history has taught to us, that walls, fences or divisions create little by little the racism. US Children will believe Mexico is the worst country, with criminals, so that is why the USA built the wall. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies