1
   

Whistling in the graveyard...

 
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:26 pm
"That's it, mister. One more peep and I'm sending you straight to Hell!"
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:36 pm
Shocked Crying or Very sad
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
real life wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

I have a question for the christians here in this place:

If God's love is so unconditional, why does He put so many conditions on "serving" Him?


When you are a parent, you will warn your kids about things that will hurt them and you'll tell them not to do these things.

It's pretty simple.


Parents stop loving their children if they do things that hurt them.

Good parents don't threaten their children that they will stop loving them if they do things that hurt them.


oopsie

"don't stop loving"

that makes a bit more sense

in the real world at least
0 Replies
 
Raul-7
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:57 am
Eorl wrote:
Just live your life on your own terms, it's nobody else's but yours and it's the only one you get!


You know that's not true.
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:13 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Just live your life on your own terms, it's nobody else's but yours and it's the only one you get!


You know that's not true.


On the contrary. There is absolutely NO evidence of a second life, and absolutely NO reason there should be one....(other than to make death seem like something other than death.)

Life is life. Death is death. It's gonna getcha eventually. Deal with it.
0 Replies
 
Raul-7
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:53 am
Eorl wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Just live your life on your own terms, it's nobody else's but yours and it's the only one you get!


You know that's not true.


On the contrary. There is absolutely NO evidence of a second life, and absolutely NO reason there should be one....(other than to make death seem like something other than death.)

Life is life. Death is death. It's gonna getcha eventually. Deal with it.


Then what's your purpose of being on this Earth? You think no one gets a second chance no matter how good of a life they lived? How about the orphan, the poor, the oppressed, the people who suffered from life-shortening illnesses, etc. - not having a second chance would nothing short of fair. This temperorary and cruel life isn't fair, however the afterlife is - everyone gets what they deserve, whether black, white, poor, rich, weak or strong; whoever leads a good life will eventually be rewarded for the preservence.

And if there was no afterlife, might as well just do whatever my instinct tells me to; such as kill whenever I feel threatened, have sex whenever I feel like it - of course this is not how "society" works. That's why we actually have a conscience. And why would we have a soul if we had no reason for it after dieing?
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:44 am
Raul-7 wrote:
And why would we have a soul if we had no reason for it after dieing?


where's the proof we have a soul
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:54 am
djjd62 wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
And why would we have a soul if we had no reason for it after dieing?


where's the proof we have a soul


I suggest consulting a Ouijja Board, or an 8 Ball, for the answer.
0 Replies
 
timberlandko
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Just live your life on your own terms, it's nobody else's but yours and it's the only one you get!


You know that's not true.


On the contrary. There is absolutely NO evidence of a second life, and absolutely NO reason there should be one....(other than to make death seem like something other than death.)

Life is life. Death is death. It's gonna getcha eventually. Deal with it.


Then what's your purpose of being on this Earth?

Why must - even should - there be any "purpose" beyond occupation and exploitation of an available ecological niche? The twin assumptions there must be a "purpose" and that humans have some special role in that purpose is absurd on its face, simple arrogance, absolutely unsupported by any evidence whatsoever, despite millenia of assertion of and search for said evidence. On the otherhand, it does provide job protection for the priesthood; shamans and healers appear to have been a feature of human society from the earliest evidence archaeology can providide; skeletal remains evidencing protracted survival beyond ioccurance of debilitating, otherwise fatal extent and nature of injury reveal our near-protohuman ancestors kept alive those in the clan who elsewise would have died, and the first known actual burials evidently were accompanied by some sort of ritual ceremony, involving placement of the cadaver within the grave, the use of pigments, and the burying of cultural artifacts along with the deceased.

Quote:
You think no one gets a second chance no matter how good of a life they lived? How about the orphan, the poor, the oppressed, the people who suffered from life-shortening illnesses, etc. - not having a second chance would nothing short of fair. This temperorary and cruel life isn't fair, however the afterlife is - everyone gets what they deserve, whether black, white, poor, rich, weak or strong; whoever leads a good life will eventually be rewarded for the preservence.[/;quote]
That's nothing more nor less than a fear-based, superstitious, "feel-good" assumption-against-evidence, intellectually equivalent to a warn and cuddly binky behind which to shield oneself from the unpleasantry of life.
Of course there's a Santa Clause, and don't you let anyone tell you there isn't. Now, run along and play ... and be nice, or you won't get any toys from Santa.

[quote[]And if there was no afterlife, might as well just do whatever my instinct tells me to; such as kill whenever I feel threatened, have sex whenever I feel like it - of course this is not how "society" works. That's why we actually have a conscience. And why would we have a soul if we had no reason for it after dieing?

Nonsense - society neither could nor would have evolved, nor civilization have developed, without overall inate, instinctual preference for pack order, care and nurture of young, extra-familial breeding, intra-species altruism, and curiosity coupled with the ability and drive to pass on learning.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:16 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
And if there was no afterlife, might as well just do whatever my instinct tells me to; such as kill whenever I feel threatened, have sex whenever I feel like it - of course this is not how "society" works.


Just look at what your pathological denial has led you to believe about yourself. It's convinced you that your true nature is that of a depraved, savage beast! Consequently (and ironically), "believers" tend to act like savage beasts whenever they feel their delusion is threatened.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 04:36 pm
Not only do I usually agree with your points of view, echi, I love your avatar...
Timber already knows I agree with his elucidations on these subjects. Same with Eorl.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:02 pm
me?? thanks for the affirmation. (i think you made me blush.)
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 05:21 pm
Yep. I read a lot of these threads but try not to post with "me too" too often.
0 Replies
 
Raul-7
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:07 pm
timberlandko wrote:

That's nothing more nor less than a fear-based, superstitious, "feel-good" assumption-against-evidence, intellectually equivalent to a warn and cuddly binky behind which to shield oneself from the unpleasantry of life.
Of course there's a Santa Clause, and don't you let anyone tell you there isn't. Now, run along and play ... and be nice, or you won't get any toys from Santa.


Yes, keep on mocking me but we'll see who will be mocking who in the end. Being the ungrateful and intellectually-blind person you are, you fail to see the various blessings God bestowed on you. Maybe if you were some starving child in Africa you wouldn't be such an arrogant and ungrateful person.

You truely have no clue. Similarly, this is nothing new. The disbelievers have always been like this. "They say, 'There is nothing but our existence in the world. We die and we live and nothing destroys us except for time.' They have no knowledge of that. They are only conjecturing." (Surat al-Jathiyya: 24)

And this life is nothing more than test, especially considering how brief this life truly is. The only thing going against us is time.

As for those who do not expect to meet Us and are content with the life of the world and at rest in it, and those who are heedless of Our Signs, their shelter will be the Fire because of what they earned. (Surah Yunus: 7-8)
0 Replies
 
timberlandko
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 04:48 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
Yes, keep on mocking me but we'll see who will be mocking who in the end.

Not mocking you, R7; that would be absurd as I have no way of knowing you - I'm mocking the manner by which you present the proposition you forward.

Quote:
Being the ungrateful and intellectually-blind person you are, you fail to see the various blessings God bestowed on you. Maybe if you were some starving child in Africa you wouldn't be such an arrogant and ungrateful person.

You truely have no clue.

Are you really not very good at this, or is resort to invective, ad hominem, principio principii, straw man, and unwarranted assumption typical of your practice in discussion?

Quote:
Similarly, this is nothing new. The disbelievers have always been like this. "They say, 'There is nothing but our existence in the world. We die and we live and nothing destroys us except for time.' They have no knowledge of that. They are only conjecturing." (Surat al-Jathiyya: 24)

And this life is nothing more than test, especially considering how brief this life truly is. The only thing going against us is time.

As for those who do not expect to meet Us and are content with the life of the world and at rest in it, and those who are heedless of Our Signs, their shelter will be the Fire because of what they earned. (Surah Yunus: 7-8)

More than well enough established is that you are able to make a profession of faith and to quote from a canon of religious writing; undemonstrated is that you can formulate, present, and prosecute a proper argument.

What evidence supports your express contention there be any "Purpose" to life?

What evidence supports your express contention humankind have any "special role"?

What evidence supports your express contention that "Morality", or, in your word "conscience", be other than a natural, evolutionary development not altogether exclusive to but expressed to particularly high degree within the human species, degree upon which is consequent the development of human society and civilization?

What evidence supports your express contention there be such a thing as a "soul"?

What evidence supports your express contention there be an "Afterlife"?

What evidence supports your implicit contention your particular religiospiritual construct be superior to any other?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/04/2022 at 01:50:06