'Greatest history book ever': Earth 6,009 years old

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:34 am
End Creation-evolution
debate in your home
This Christmas, give the gift of history dating back to Garden of Eden

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

How old is the world?

Most people would say: "Nobody knows."

But the author of the book frequently described as the greatest history book ever written, said the world was created Oct. 23, 4004 B.C. - making it exactly 6,009 last Monday.

In the 1650s, an Anglican bishop named James Ussher published his "Annals of the World," subtitled, "The Origin of Time, and Continued to the Beginning of the Emperor Vespasian's Reign and the Total Destruction and Abolition of the Temple and Commonwealth of the Jews." First published in Latin, it consisted of more than 1,600 pages.

The book, now published in English for the first time, is a favorite of homeschoolers and those who take ancient history seriously. It's the history of the world from the Garden of Eden to the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70.

Of course, there will be those who disagree with Ussher's calculations of time - especially evolutionists who need billions of years to explain their theory of how life sprang from non-life and mutated from one-celled animals into human beings.

Ussher's arrival at the date of Oct. 23 was determined based on the fact that
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52588
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 764 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:42 am
I am curious why this is posted in the politics forum.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:47 am
edgarblythe, well the debate is so absurd that I blame it on politics.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:59 am
Where would you propose this thread should be put-- the science forum?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
How about religion and spirituality?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 02:56 pm
Is there a fantasy category? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 03:02 pm
Integrating biblical history (around 15 percent of the text is from the Bible) with secular sources, Ussher wrote this masterpiece. Considered not only a literary classic, but also an accurate reference, "The Annals of the World" was so highly regarded for its preciseness that the timeline from it was included in the margins of many King James Version Bibles throughout the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.

"The Annals of the World" is a necessary addition to any church library, pastor's library, or any library - public or personal. The entire text has been updated from 17th-century English to present-day vernacular in a five-year project commissioned by Master Books. Containing many human-interest stories from the original historical documents collected by Ussher, this is more than just a history book - it's a work of history.

Special features:

Important literary work that has been inaccessible in book form for over 300 years

Includes CD of Ussher's Chronology of the World - full of colored charts, graphs, timelines, and much, much more

Translated into modern English for the first time

Traces world history from creation through A.D. 70

Over 10,000 footnotes from the original text have been updated to references from works in the Loeb Classical Library by Harvard Press

Over 2,500 citations from the Bible and the Apocrypha

Ussher's original citations have been checked against the latest textual scholarship

One of history's most famous and well-respected historians

Spent over five years researching and writing this book

Entered college at age 13

Received his master's degree at age 18

Was an expert in Semitic languages

Buried in Westminster Abbey
About the book:

Made of the highest quality material: Smyth sewn, gold-gilded edges, foil embossing on front, back, and spine

Cover presented in the style of classic literary works

Packaged in a beautiful box for display purposes and durability

8 appendixes

Fully indexed

Paragraphs numbered
This is one of the most important literary, historical and Christian works you'll ever own, a treasure for any home library. It's a must for your homeschool library.

For generations, this classic work was considered part of the essential reading for educated people. Now you can read it - in English.

As a very special added bonus, when you purchase "The Annals of the World" from WorldNetDaily's online store, you can also receive - FREE - three issues of our acclaimed monthly Whistleblower magazine, which many have called the best news magazine in the world. That's a $22.50 free value! (Offer good in the U.S. only.) Watch for the free offer during checkout.

Looks like religion to me, but I am willing to follow with a political point of view, if you wish.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:39 pm
Quote:
Entered college at age 13

Received his master's degree at age 18

They had master's degrees in the 1650's? Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:31 pm
I think that refers to the guy that updated the book.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:45 pm
I thought it might have meant that too, but then I saw that a few words later it said the following:

Quote:
Buried in Westminster Abbey

I don't think they've buried anyone there recently, have they?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:48 am
I think it means two seperate persons- -just sloppy writing.

(edgarblythe sits back and waits to see if thread originator will appear to give his thread direction).
0 Replies