Need advice for my 4yr old...

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:50 am
Hi, I've been travelling the last 2years between Iran, Pakistan and Romania. I had just gotten him enrolled in a school in Bucharest when we had to move back to Pakistan because of isa rpobems! Now we've recently moved to Sydney for good but due to all this moving around I've just started teaching him abc at home. He recognizes almost all the letters now. My son turned 4 today so he'l start school comnig February. Have I started too late? What should I be concentrating on in the next 2/3 months before he starts going to school?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:56 am
My daughter is 4 and she knows only a handful of letters - I wouldn't worry much he will learn.

It was expected that my older daughter recongize all her letters before entering kindergarten. She hardly knew any of them. She learned them over the summer to a certain degree and she has little problem in school now.

I would just work with him a little bit each day, but don't pressure him as he will be turned off. I would also contact the school to see what their expectations are - and perhaps they could recommend how to teach him without pushing.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:42 pm
No, you haven't started too late. My son started kindergarten (age 5) with no preschool whatsoever. He knew a handful of letters when he went in. By the time he finished, he was reading. Kids pick things up quick. In fact, I have an unfounded belief that kids who are introduced to school later might just learn faster. They're little sponges. He'll do fine.

I note your desire for stability for your son. That's something I've had some difficulty with too. Hopefully you can stay put for quite a while.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:08 pm
Relax, it's fine. Trends show that even those kids who have started learning abcs and 123s early don't, as a group, stay ahead of the curve. By second grade, things (in general) even out.

The most important thing you can be doing for your child now, is reading to him and providing as many age-appropriate books as possible for his use. Familiarize him with things like what the cover of a book is and that reading starts from one corner and goes down the page to the opposite corner (top left to bottom right in English speaking countries).
0 Replies

zainabfaraaj

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 01:50 am
Thanks guys......your replies were very helpful and encouraging. No, I'm not pressurizing him at all, I just sit with him for half an hour everyday and he learns them very happily. I've bought quite a few books for him and read to him regularly too. I was thinknig once he recognizes the abc letters then I'l start with 123.....Since we haven't decided which area we'l live in so calling the school will come later. Thanks again....
0 Replies

zainabfaraaj

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 01:50 am
Thanks guys......your replies werr very helpful and encouraging. No, I'm not pressurizing him at all, I just sit with him for half an hour everyday and he learns them very happily. I've bought quite a few books for him and read to him regularly too. I was thinknig once he recognizes the abc letters then I'l start with 123.....Since we haven't decided which area we'l live in so calling the school will come later. Thanks again....
0 Replies