Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:51 pm
HI

My husband and I are beginning to start our family. I know there are tons of pregnancy books out there, but I am a firm believer in experience.

I would like to ask any and all moms for tips: what would you have liked to know BEFORE being pregnant?

Thanks in advance!

: )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:02 pm
Oh boy. Yikes. Geez. Um.

Well, Boomerang just wrote something in the writer's workshop thread about how things that you take for granted pre-kid -- food, sex, leisure, money -- are irrevocably changed once you have a kid. This is one of those things that you may know intellectually but don't firmly grasp until you experience it.

Sushi, btw, is not recommended while you are pregnant. Which I found to be a moot point because I, usually a sushi-lover, could not stand to be within 100 yards of the stuff when I was pregnant. I'd recommend the book "Protecting Your Baby-to-be" by Margie Profet for more on food aversions and why we have them. Basically, listen to your food aversions (aka "morning sickness")! If it makes you nauseous, stay away!

Gotta go, but will come back to this. (I have a 2.5 yr old.)
0 Replies

paleobarbie

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
when in japan
I just imagine that certain cultures ( and especially ages ago) did not worry about eating local cuisine.

Just trying to get a real world perspective on it...

: )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:33 pm
There is much more to the local cuisine that includes sushi than just sushi. Wink I think it is entirely reasonable that women who felt violently ill when they got a whiff of raw fish would stick to rice, tofu, etc. Ya know?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:42 pm
Good article I found that covers a lot of the same ground as Margie Profet on this subject (though it doesn't credit her... Sad):

http://www.enn.com/enn-news-archive/2000/06/06052000/nvp_13586.asp

Excerpts:

Quote:
Neither Kari Young-Webster nor Hillary Mayell could stomach being in close proximity to raw animal products during their pregnancies.
"Uncooked chicken creeped me out," said Mayell, mother of two teen-agers.

"I could not touch raw meat," said Young-Webster, who had her first baby this past summer. "I went to sushi before I knew you shouldn't eat sushi, but I couldn't eat it."

-snip-

:

Women who experience morning sickness are significantly less likely to miscarry.

Women who vomit are significantly less likely to miscarry than those who only experience nausea.

Many pregnant women have aversions during the first trimester to alcoholic beverages and beverages containing caffeine as well as strong-tasting vegetables. The greatest aversions are to meat, fish, poultry and eggs.
Of all foods distasteful to pregnant women, meat, fish, poultry and eggs carry the greatest risk of food-borne pathogens.

"Avoiding food-borne microorganisms is particularly important to pregnant women because they are immuno-suppressed, presumably to reduce the chances of rejecting the tissues of their own offspring," the scientists note in their report. "As a result, pregnant women are often vulnerable to serious, often deadly, infections."

"Our findings do not imply that pregnant women should avoid animal products in pregnancy," said Flaxman. "For many women animal products are key sources of many essential nutrients during pregnancy, and our modern food-handling practices have made all of our food incredibly safe to eat. Our key point is that 'morning sickness' should not be seen as sickness, but rather as a normal, evolved phenomenon with potential benefits to both mother and offspring."

-snip-

The study does suggest that interfering with morning sickness may not be good idea for pregnant women.

"The body has a certain wisdom," said Sherman. "Listen to it."

Basically, there is nothing so straightforward as "eat sushi --> create problems for the baby." Maybe you will, maybe you won't. But in terms of a "real world perspective", I find the biological evidence rather compelling.

And honestly, as I said before, it's very likely that this will become moot when you actually do become pregnant -- I LOVE sushi, yet went dashing to the nearest bathroom at the merest whiff when I was pregnant. (One of my staff members used to make homemade sushi and bring it in for our Friday potlucks, so I had ample opportunity to test this. Shocked Everyone prevailed upon her to stop torturing me, and she stopped bringing it in. Smile)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:41 pm
Be prepared--and be sure your husband is prepared for violent mood swings (mostly downward).

Take very good care of your feet.

Always be sure you know where the ladies' room is. Your bladder capacity will diminish almost immediately.

Plan ahead to accommodate fatigue.

Enjoy your privacy--and the use of your dominant arm. After delivery you will have baby on your hip for a great deal of every single day.

Enjoy.
0 Replies