Surviving the Night Shift?

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:30 am
How many of you are lucky enough to work the night shift? The late, late shift, also known as grave yards.

I work three weeks on day shift, then one week of six nights per month. Three of the nights are 12 hours, the other three are 8.

Does anybody actually enjoy working the night shift, and why?

How do you pass the time while staying awake?

Any tips on how to stay awake?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,724 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:59 am
Well, in the 1970s, I worked rotating shifts. Every third week, it was graveyard. I had not the ability to remain awake and sharp all night long. Compounding the probelm, was unable to rest by day. Constantly in trouble for mistakes. I did the only sensible thing, and found other, daytime, work. Lots of luck to those who can handle it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:00 am
I am a creature of the night.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 03:14 pm
The night shift isn't the problem, it is the revolving shifts between day and night that is the difficulty. That's a lot to ask your body to adjust to. It takes more than a week for your body to recover from the abrupt change. For an example of this, just think how long it takes for you to adjust everytime we adjust clocks for daylight savings time.

It is also a difficult disruption to your family life. If you have kids, it is ridiculous to expect them to understand that they have to be quiet one week a month because daddy is sleeping.

You and your employers would see a much better productivity curve if the shifts were cycled on a monthly or quarterly basis rather than having one week of night shifts every month. Absenteeism would also probably improve.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:22 pm
Re: Surviving the Night Shift?
InTraNsiTiOn wrote:
How many of you are lucky enough to work the night shift? The late, late shift, also known as grave yards.

I work three weeks on day shift, then one week of six nights per month. Three of the nights are 12 hours, the other three are 8.

Does anybody actually enjoy working the night shift, and why?

How do you pass the time while staying awake?

Any tips on how to stay awake?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!!

I just started a new job that was suppose to be second shift. I asked about third shift then changed my mind because... well... it's kinda boring. My boss decided to put me on night shift for a week just to let me try it out. Tonight will be my second night. So, now she's changed the schedule... Saturday and Sunday nights I work 12-8 then Tue, Wed, Thur I'll work 3-11. *Sigh*... A little of both.

I like night shift because it's quiet. The kids tend to be pretty hyper in the evenings and sometimes like to cause a lot of ruckus. However, working nights they are sleeping so... no ruckus. In the morning when we wake them up they are too tired to do much of anything but eat and do their chores... then it's time to go home. LOL

Another thing I like about third shift is that I like being awake when the sun comes up. I don't mind sleeping during the day at all. I worked third shift a year or so ago and the best way I found to stay awake is to stay busy and keep a regular sleeping pattern. Smile
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:32 pm
In the early 80's I worked for an answering service answering 700 phone lines including doctors and psychiatric offices. Some of the nut jobs that called in at 3AM were amazing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:39 pm
I agree with Butryflynet that it's the shift changing that does you in. If you work night shift all the time - well, whatever shift, all the time, your body usually adjusts.
0 Replies

orangewheel

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:06 pm
night shift
it like anything else has good and bad. if you are at all able to use your day time to starting your own business to become financial free from the rat race please give it a shot.This is from someone who has worked nights for some twenty years and recently pass some of my day time doing lots of research (it gets harder as the years roll by.It was fine when I was younger and could hang out all day and still say awake all night) It is also not the best shift for having a real life. Boy if i knew then what i know now Shocked Things that you can do learn---- how to prepare taxes, real estate school these are examples that do not take long and are not very expensive. I am very sure that other people can suggest other things.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
I work wacky hours, which sometimes means graveyard. The hardest thing definetly is the interruption of a regular sleep cycle!

I need sunshine, so getting home and going to bed asap is not an option for me. I'd be depressed within a short time.

I like graveyard because I don't have to deal with nearly as much people-problems during that time. I can regulate my own workload as I like, do a lot fast and then have spare time to do as I wish. That is going to be great as I will be needing studying time.

I like that I have worked all of the available shifts, know all the duties, I have learned a lot. I get *more* lee-way in taking off hours, making decisions because I have worked when nobody else wanted to. It's a trade.

All that said....I'm starting to feel near the end of my rope with wacky shifts. It's not like when I was 20 and could go out drinking, go to work, miss sleep and be fine. Now I feel it. I need some regularity.

On the other hand, I would go insane working a 9-5 er in an office/corporate setting, so I can't complain too much. All in all it has been worth it so far.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:35 pm
Never worked the graveyard, but have worked the 3-11.

I really liked it.

I liked driving home when the rest of the world what pretty well shut down.
I'd go to bed by 1ish and didn't have to worry about setting an alarm because I didn't have to get up and go straight to work.

I also like being able to get other personal business done during the day.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:05 pm
I work the 3-11 shift alot too! It is Great, if only all my shifts were 3-11! Ohwell, win some you lose some!

Great Replies!!!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:35 pm
Way back, long ago, sometime during the late 20th century I used to work the graveyard shift. Sunday evening til Friday morning. It was f*cking AWESOME!

Okay, the first month or so sucked while I was getting used to it, but after that, it was the BEST. Why, you ask? Two words. HAPPY HOUR.

I'd get out of work on friday morning, go to sleep, wake up around 4:00, and go right to happy hour with my friends. Every weekend I dragged my friends, drunk and disorderly, into the wee hours of the night. I was the KING OF THE NIGHT! The party never ended when I was doing that shift. Wow, what a great time.

Of course, I am a professional. Your results may vary.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:47 pm
That has a certain ring to it....

Kickycan....King of the Night......
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:59 am
Well, I recently decided to go down to part time hours. I now work 2 shifts per week. 8 per month. 6 of them are night shifts, the other 2 are days. I kinda like it cause now I don't have to deal with all the day time drama and still get the same hourly pay. Everything is fine that way, except now, we have a staff meeting every second week that starts at noon. So now i'm expected to work my night shift(i get off at 9) then come back at noon for some stupid meeting where most time everyone sits around and talks about their personal lives, and then come back again for midnight the same day. Does this sound right to you, or am I just being a baby?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:34 am
sorry, but you're being a baby.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:39 am
Being up for 26 hours, then getting 5 hours of sleep, then going back on nights. I am a baby!!! Hehe Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:42 am
well, why'd you ask if you didn't want an answer?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:52 am
LOL...I'm cool with the answer. Basically I was just bored and tired last night so I thought i'd jabber on the boards and complain a lil bit! I'm sure it varies from person to person just like everything else. Thanks for replying.
0 Replies