How is your garden looking today?

neko nomad

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:41 pm
The front yard this afternoon:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQDZAvIYDCk0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lc5PVTFRZBlDFNVcKkkwybRkPHB3RBT8ag0fINblykN*2y0zrrZDAEqrqVZMHSp9DNu9FcRLNMVF!z6tkzHJltRFBD7hnv6hK/neko%20nomad%20142.JPG

(added)A couple of days later...daffodils and early tulips are showing up.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:07 pm
http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10118/thumb_ledge%20garden5.JPG
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10118/thumb_ledge%20garden5.JPG

My window sill garden about a week ago. Thank you for the tip quinn1
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:11 pm
neko - that's gorgeous! How long do you wait until you cut the grass? Or, is there even any grass in there?

JD - that's sweet!

I am one step closer to figuring out this donated Digicam. When I get it fixed (or when my other pix get mailed to me) I'll post some here.... sigh.

My trillium are starting to bloom!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:47 pm
Oh used to loe my trillium, so delicate, and so fragile. They grow wild in Virginia is that the same in Mass?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:52 pm
yes, they grow wild here too. Not in the city though (grin). There is definitely something special about them. I have alot of wild flowers. I planted bunchberry (a little dogwood ground cover), woodland anenome, dogtooth violet, violets, and probably more.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
I should take pics of mine I suppose sometime Smile

Ive often thought of throwing wild flower seeds into the jungle..at least there would be more than tall grass and Queens Annes lace to look at.
On eyear I had a birdfeeder on the Cherry Tree and beneath it grew up a fabulous Sunflower...those could work too I suppose.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:56 am
I'm heading to Michigan in a week in search of the elusive morel mushroom. Hopefully, the trillium will be out in force, because their season overlaps. More trilliums means more mushrooms. Ramps and fiddleheads too.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:09 am
Ymmy chhsa, are you going to the UP.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:17 am
Northern LP.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
Now I am jealous it will be beautiful this time of year.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:33 am
My wife and oldest daughter just went back to Michigan to attend a funeral this week. They got snowed on.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:12 am
Ranunculus
The other plant I have hopes for this year

http://www.dutchgardens.com/Images/Products/17610th.jpg
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:59 am
Ranunculus wow they are so beautiful ans my mom's favorite.

The UP, Marquette to Deluth is grand but not in early spring or winter.

One Christmas we, my former husband and I drove to Marquette for Christmas and when we crossed the Bridge over the joining of lake Michigan, lake Superior and Erie (I think those are the correct) whe the waters meant in a swirl was forzen in ice it was beautifully cold.

But I could not take it all winter, the cold and snow) that is for sure.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:02 am
http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/presque%20isle/black%20rocks%20cliffs%20melting%20ice%20.JPG

Presque Isle just a short walk for my inlaws house.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:46 am
BBB
Since my paver patio installation was completed last week, I've added to the trees and shrubs I planted last year 75 strawberries and 4 tomato plants among the pansies in my large raised planter box.

Since I'm not able to dig in the ground, I've planted in large pots a hydrangea tree and 4 hydrangea shrubs, day lily bulbs, ranuncula bulbs, freesia bulbs, 4 rose bushes, 8 miniature rose bushes, plumeria, climbing lily vines, and oriental lilies.

I plan to buy some Wave Petunias today and put them in pots, too.

Now if I can only keep Maddy from digging them up, which he's already trying to do on those that I couldn't cover with gravel, they should all be blooming by summer.

BBB
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:20 am
littlek: I go over the front yard with a mulching mower in the fall to shred
up all the spent plants,leaves,and pine needles. Grass doesn't grow there;
the ground will soon be covered by an assortment of perennial plants-- lily of the valley,violets,ferns,and hostaswhich hide the shrinking ephemerals.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 05:26 pm
Neko - sounds like we have a similar gardening approach. I took a few pix on my way in tonight, and hope to download and post them later. The crocuses are finished, the squills are coming to an end, the lungworts are looking very pretty, the periwinkles are just get started and best of all today - the ferns are in the fiddlehead stage! I love it just before they start to unfurl. This is my first year having ferns in the front for the whole season. I so enjoy watching them. The hostas and true solomon's seal are starting to burst through the soil, and the dogwoods I put in last year are putting out tiny leaves. The grass that survives my efforts to get rid of it is looking very lush after the rain. It's going to get lopped off in a week or so. It's sooooo determined to survive. My neighbours on either side are trying to cultivate tiny little lawns - they, of course, can't get any decent grass to grow.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:43 am
It's been quite dry here, hardly any rain. All my perennials are having a slow start. This is the first time I've had to water everything myself, this early in spring. The good news is that it has been raining heavily for past two days now.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:56 pm
Still waiting on White Farms to deliver the collections I ordered. Got a notice in the mail yesterday saying that they will be late and won't arrive until mid-to-late May. I'm a little pissed. In the meantime, been planting containers of flowers. Seems like I'm working differently than the last few years where I set the containers up first, designing the layout, and bought dozens of flowers and plants and spent an entire weekend planting the basis of the garden, adding as the season goes on. This year, the pace seems different. I'm planting and then setting up the pots, designing it as I go. Don't know what caused the switch. Experience? (I've only been gardening now for five years) Whatever it is, it's a subconcious thing. I sure didn't decide to work differently this year.
0 Replies