How is your garden looking today?

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:53 pm
Eva wrote:
Ah, littlek, you haven't lived until you've seen the pink and white dogwoods in bloom. They always bloom at the same time as the azaleas and tulips. It's so beautiful this time of year.

I've seen it, it just doesn't happen here until like May.

dagmaraka wrote:
got all my muscles sore from this weekend. raked and raked and swept and swept. bought pine bark nuggets, planted pansies and primroses outside (I am the only one with some color in the frontyard on the block, ha!). all sorts of things are poking out, and i hear we may have some snow, grrrr. put some compost, top soil and fertilizer on a future veggie and herb garden area, started oregano, thyme, basil, sage, marjoram, hungarian hot wax peppers, all kinds of tomatoes inside, all over our not-so-big apartment. joy oh joy oh joy. can't wait to see them grow and plant them outside!

Wowsa! And you said you were bus - oh. Don't worry about the pansies. And the primroses should be ok with a little snow, just hope the temps don't slide too far below freezing.

(Hey, I made 3 cranes!)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:45 pm
My little Texas blue bell was a bit wilted today. Have to remember container plants need more water and more watching.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:46 pm
sigh.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:51 pm
With water it perked right up but it was a close call. Does a wilt hurt the plants badly?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:53 pm
Wilting doesn't hurt the plants, dying does. As long as you don't keep them perpetually wilted.

I was sighing because it's too cold for much in the way of spring blooms, here, AND we have had a lot of rain. Spring in new england....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:58 pm
Is this the plant you're talking about, JD?

http://www.asavet.us/images/flowerbluebellcloseup..jpg
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
Yes or very close. Well I check the little once twice today. It was 74f and I had to water them again before dark.

It rains a lot here in the spring too littlek, last week it was cloudy and rainy every day.

On Sunday when I saw the Cherry trees in bloom in DC I almost forgot I left by choice. The are so wonderful.

http://www.tbchotels.com/images/cbf_1.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:08 pm
cherries are amazing and the ones in DC are about as beautiful as beauty gets.

There's a school by my house that has a bank of witchhazel that just bloomed and a string of cherries that will bloom (someday) soon. Also along the sidewalk they planted Lyndon trees and English Oaks. There are even some huge old beeches in there. I love that piece of land - many of my favorite trees all piled into one spot.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:17 pm
I'd stepped outside the Amtrak train station in DC some years ago on April 14 and the row of cherry blossoms across the street were awesome. I'd never seen cherry blossoms before and I'm telling you, they were truly a glorious sight to behold.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:18 pm
And then to walk among them....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:41 am
It's so exciting to hear your stories ... spring must be astonishing & thrilling in places where you have winter snow. I've never experienced this.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:04 pm
It's amazing MsOlga. It takes for friggin ever, but it's amazing all right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:25 am
Well I know you're going to thoroughly enjoy the process, littlek! May you garden do amazing & thrilling things .... soon! Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:22 am
The Pond In The Front Yard was completely ice-free this morning. Spring is here at last, even if the subsoil still is solidly frozen. Of course, now I gotta get busy and clean the thing ,,, and do something about the annual over-population-of-pondfish thing. They seem able to entertain themselves handily under the ice. The pumps, filters and aerator, which have been dutifully running unattended all winter, wil enjoy the break. I wonder what won't work when I fire everything back up. It seems something always breaks following a break.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:26 am
Bluegills is tasty!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:21 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQAEKfMYXyo0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lAMliCJVzOYhqh2maGNBTLvzYdd15Or4mza1aCtYhF*vc7*Q*PvG4R97HYpq0!ROhF9tITeajAdGIIJdDFUsGhWC32aBSQql7/neko%20nomad%20139.JPG
Crocus time out back.
(added) The same place,onMay 7th.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:20 pm
Coming along slowly. Planted veggies on Sunday. A few flowers yesterday. Having back trouble. Started with a foolish attempt to powerlift a bag of dirt last week that was somewhat heavier than anticipated. Ouch.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:24 pm
Awful. My lawn was due for mowing 2 weeks ago when I broke my toe. I"ve been waiting for a week for a local mowing service to contact me to get it done. At the moment it looks like a jungle.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 01:30 am
It is pretty drab down under with winter nearly here but there is still a little bit of colour in the garden
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/8B/5F/32421515-0a54-02000180-.jpg
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:18 am
Yowza eve what a great picture such a lovely wake up call. I have a picture of my window garden I will try to post it. And I will take another one, the Blue Bells are blooming now.
0 Replies