How is your garden looking today?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:14 pm
Mums. The blue flower is sky blue lobelia.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:20 pm
Short mums! They're cute.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:43 am
Francis! Are those really your roses? And that is just "one" of the rose trees? Wonderful! They look happy.... and well-fed. Please show more. Are they fragrant?

CI -- nicely done. I like that fern-y palm in the pot.

I took a lot of photos with Mr.P's digital camera yesterday but I haven't looked at any yet.

Sozobe -- If you can find a couple of neighbors interesting in sharing, you could probably get a good cost-savings by having mulch delivered in bulk to one of your driveways. (Put down a tarp first.)

Anyone interested in the saga of the "Frosty Curls" grasses? Stupid mare apparently didn't like the taste but vandalized them all anyway. I found large remnants of these beauties all over the pasture which I carefully picked up and have replanted. I tried to buy more at the Farmer's Market, but the vendor had sold out.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:55 am
Piffka wrote:
Francis! Are those really your roses? And that is just "one" of the rose trees? Wonderful! They look happy.... and well-fed. Please show more. Are they fragrant?

The answer is "yes" to all...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/jard1.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/jard2.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:08 am
Good grief!!

Gorgeous, and great pictures as well.

Good tip Piffka, maybe next year...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:01 am
I went to Rite Aid this morning to buy some of those 14" flower bowls, but they're already degrading with dead flowers. Didn't buy any.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:03 pm
It's raining here today so tomorrow, it's gonna be lovely. But i still can't get the picture posting down. I registered with NSN's Raven's Realm. How does that work? I tried downloading a picture but it didn't happen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:15 pm
You want to upload, not download. Upload it to the site from your computer.

If you're learning from scratch anyway, fewer steps involved if you use Image Shack:

www.imageshack.us
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:06 pm
Francis! Your garden is gorgeous! At least that little bit is..... and the back drop... sigh.

Cleared some soil from the magnolia bed (new project) and added manure and some of the left over top soil.

I was given a $200 check to buy plants for it. It's another odd culture. A large magnoila sits at the wxsw corner and shades the entire bed for much of midday (we haven't had a sunny afternoon/evening in weeks - I dunno what the sun does then). In winter, however, the area is largely unshaded. So, not many broadleaf evergreens (rhodies, inkberry, leucothoe, etc) will work. We want a thread of continuity with the bed I just installed (leucothoe, inkberry, korean spicebush viburnum, cherry laurel and russian carpet cypress (microbiota decussata)) which is across the entrance to our parking lot. Also, the bed is long and narrow (4x20 feet) and can be viewed from all sides.

So..... perhaps pieris japonica (andromeda), but leaning more towards itea (sweetspire). And, likely, more of the microbiota decussata. Those are either from the other bed, or are similar to the plants in the other bed. Plus, we will put in some perennials.

We have lots of leftover topsoil. Anyone need any good dirt? Free to a good garden, byob (bucket).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:23 pm
Hey, I got two 14" bowls of flowers at the Milpitas Home Depot today while my wife and I walked at the Great Mall for excercise. Very colorful with a flag stuck in each. Hope they last till the 4th. Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:35 pm
about an hour ago we got a new mexico 3" rain (1 drop every 3 inches) but the garden perked up a bit and I took this pic;
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwAEA2gbUtAuV*qxmKp4eOeUUr*1QizcE5!ozD9zBk9XmSGs4s0EZ7o7OOaQJBKdqOb3IEF8HKRHkjYvqm9I9HHt*dbXdKPfOPT5JtS617LQOOQ9KbIwSzr0YhNx1nod/yard-may-evening%20004.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:42 pm
Whoa!

-sigh- poppies -sigh-

I'm hatching plans to see if I can make use of the ~4 inches of dirt between driveway and fence -- gets lotsa sun...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:43 pm
and I got some of these too which I call "Dys's really purdy but tiny flowers:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQCFAnoal30qQWmu4YEwORZ2q77uNU7mNbb8rH9UrgcE86vZngnaDR8cPXcZWLozZXVxJaOMorrh8KmcwrZTu3DpqR5!8eLIRBf7g5kHuoDuT9eZkIx*SRsJSBqGR2hP/after%20the%20rain-2.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:44 pm
we spent most of today planting new Wave petunias and marigolds in clusters . Also Ive finished planting veggies and put in about 1 acre of birdhouse and drum gourds.(Its another hobby thing, dont ask)
I have no idea why, because we will be leaving in less than 1 month and I just hope our housesitters take care of the gardens.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:44 pm
Coxcombs, I think.

Definitely purdy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:38 pm
Coxcombs, I concur - I used to LOVE those when I was little.

Looks good!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:43 pm
I'm still little I guess.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:47 pm
Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:14 pm
hahaha.... if I could I'd grow them still, but I have no damned sun on this property.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:33 pm
Lovely pics, Dys. My 'Tiny Rubles' dianthus are in bloom. So are the columbine and the 'Johnson Blue' geranium. I was given some Canna tubers and planted them about 4" deep 2.5 weeks ago. Any ideas on how long it takes them to push through?
0 Replies