How is your garden looking today?

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:09 am
Littlek
Littlek, the problem with Albuquerque that most people don't realize is that it is a high desert area. ABQ's altitude is 5,000 feet plus, depending on which side of the Rio Grande River you measure from. If you include the Sandia Mountains, which are on the immediate eastern edge of ABQ, it's thousands of feet higher. It seem like a contradiction to be in the Rio Grande Valley, as I am, on what is called the High Western Mesa at such a high altitude.

I had to learn to adjust my cooking, especially baking, to consider the high altitude. Some people have difficulty adjusting to the altitude when they first arrive, especially if they came from sea level, but most become used to it in a few days.

BBB
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:17 am
... a couple of weeks ago we bought some beautiful Frosty Curls grasses which I wanted to plant at the beach -- they're fairly drought resistant. Because of our heat wave (we've been having a "heat advisory"!), I decided to give them a good drink yesterday prior to their being put in the ground today. So, I put them in a deep tub filled with water near the hose bib. Apparently this was too close to the horse (danger to plants) zone. <boo-hoo>

This morning there are three empty gallon containers scattered in the pasture and the remains of a rootball. I am imagining how she got to these.... she had to drop to her knees and reach way under the electric fence. I am so peeved. Sad
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:30 am
Dont worry, Piff, here is a rose from my garden.

Want more?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/rose1.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 09:04 am
Oh! That is irridescently beautiful, Francis.

Of course I want more! (I am leaving though, so I won't be able to enjoy them it 'til later.)

Does that rose smell like raspberries? I am imagining that swoon-y fragrance.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 09:12 am
One more rose and, if you want, the rose tree.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/rose2.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:06 am
Wow, Francis, that first rose picture looks like it has lighting! Beautiful.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:18 am
Let's see one of the rose trees..

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/roses1.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:23 am
I also have a rose tree in my back yard, but without any feed for the past five years or so, it doesn't look too healthy. (My wife wants me to take it out.)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:30 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
(My wife wants me to take it out.)

Or you have to feed it...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:27 am
Some of my updated garden pix.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/1garden28mayc.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:31 am
Pix no. 2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/1bgarden.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:32 am
The second picture is more or less the view we get from our family room door where we spend most of our time.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 12:06 pm
NIce garden, Tak! Seems so peaceful.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:22 pm
I'm going to go buy some 14" flower bowls tomorrow at Rite Aid for ten bucks apiece. Home Depot was supposed to have them this week, but they didn't get the shipment. They will 'round out' my garden flowers for the back yard.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:29 pm
Well, I finally shoveled the last of the mulch off the driveway (and a good chunk more of the dirt). Thank go it was a nice day. I was tired of shoveling in the rain. I also raised some foot-stones which had sunked below dirt-level along a pathway. I shoveled and hauled and scrapped and planted for 5 hours.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:45 pm
sozobe wrote:
Not sure how much jursidiction we have over the strip of grass between sidewalk and street -- might do some sort of raised bed thing there with lavender.

Toronto has an official committee to help people doing "guerilla gardening" like that. There is a corner lot I pass on my way home, where the family has taken over the area between the sidewalk and the streetwalk with giant sunflowers - city approved it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:44 pm
Cool. I'll have to investigate -- seems like there might be official channels. Someone down the street has a lovely mound of purple flowers around the telephone pole (on that strip), maybe I'll ask them to start.

Just went to dinner at the house of a friend with an absolutely gorgeous garden -- lotsa sun -- poppies and daisies and lots of good stuff. Lavender is what sounds good to me now, with various offsetting lovelies, but so many sun-lovers I'd like to plant...

My front yard is looking pretty good (just don't ask me about my backyard), have petunias planted in addition to the hanging baskets and the urns. The urns are doing GREAT! The baskets are doing fine, the urns are luscious. Really happy with 'em. E.G. mowed and I swept the walkway and driveway and front stoop and everything and things look -- for the time being -- quite nice.

Put down mulch next week. Have a game of gardening telephone going on -- next-door-neighbor is also newish to this (she has about 4 years on me) and asks her next-door neighbor on the other side for advice, and HE knows his stuff. So she gets advice and passes it on to me. HE says don't put down mulch 'til the cottonwoods are done doing their thing, and that they'll be done doing their thing by next weekend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:46 pm
Beautiful, C.I. . . . very lovely.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:48 pm
Indeed. I like the bridge, and various Asian elements (lion, etc.)

And yay to littlek for finally finishing up that mongo project.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:51 pm
Thanks Soz, not quite done yet, still more dirt than I know what to do with.

Cic, what's the yellow flower in your photo?
0 Replies