How is your garden looking today?

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:37 pm
Neko Nomad, you are smart to have such a good schedule of display and to remember what is coming up. Do you keep lots of notes?

Farmerman -- Irises!! Peonies!!! Yay!!!! The beginnings of summer, practically! I saw some gorgeous peonies at the Farmer's Market yesterday. One of the Master Gardeners was displaying a bouquet of them at their table. These were dark purplish red and had a double set of blooms -- the outside was a simple single petal all the way around & the inside was densely frilled. They were at least five inches across. Here's a similar image.
http://www.dutchgardens.com/Images/Products/29074.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:21 pm
After downloading some of my pictures from Malta and Europe, I did a little gardening work. Cut the front lawn, cleaned the front yard, and watered my plants in the back yard. I must clear out the weeds from my yard tomorrow; some are over one feet tall.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:51 pm
Downstairs doing laundry.
Bark bark bark bark .... bark bark bark

ok ok

There's a lil old lady at the front door. Been looking at my yard for a while and can she have some poppies? Sure. Run back in and get a little bag, and herd the barkers into the house.

Dig up some poppies, and after a bit of discussion the lady also takes some Egyptian Walking Onion for her kitchen garden.

She says she'll be back in the autumn with a peony eye for me.

I love peonies. Have a couple in back, but could always use more. Roses and peonies. mmmmmmmmmm

Ahchoooooooooooooooooo
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:35 pm
planted 'maters and peppers today-early girl/better boy/sweet 100 on the maters and a variety of peppers, oh yeah and some Amenian Cukes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:35 pm
ouch.

oooooowwww.

owie!

I did another round of dirt hauling and shrub planting today. I finished planting the plants we had already bought and mulched. I'm supposed to get two more of one type and plant those this week. There's still lots of dirt and mulch in the parking lot to spread around, my back is totally messed up (ooooowwwchie!).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:11 pm
neko nomad wrote:
Am a bit disappointed that the southern gardeners don't show and tell about their gardens. I'll guess that the magnolias aren' too far off, eh?

I wish i could show some pics. My hostas are so full and lush right now. I have no way to get pics to a2k, tho. I STILL don't know how.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:30 pm
This was taken at Kukenhof Gardens when dys, Diane and I visited for a half day visit during the six weeks tulip's season. Let me know if you wish to see more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/amsterdamflowers850.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:59 pm
http://img227.echo.cx/img227/2854/lungwort20051fg.jpg

The Lungwort is beating out the violets and poppies for space. This is my favourite part of spring gardening - all the elbowing for space.

The poppies will eventually tower over everything, bloom quickly, and fall over. The lungwort bloom will end in June til autumn, and the violets will provide colour on and off til snow.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
This was taken at Kukenhof Gardens when dys, Diane and I visited for a half day visit during the six weeks tulip's season. Let me know if you wish to see more.

Yes, please! Very Happy

ehBeth - those lungworts look great!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:48 am
Ah...so glad to see some springtime garden pics coming in !! All are just lovely ! My replies:

1. piffka: I maintain photo archives on zip disk (for unedited shots) and hard drive files (neko nomad series for all my posted ones). So, I have a pictorial and botanical chronicle stored up, starting in 1992,which is when I got my camera, a Canon S30. They're all dated, so during the off season I can go over them in order to determine where to squeeze in yet another flower.

2. eoe: Do you have Windows XP with a photo/scanner wizard feature ? If so, I'd be glad to PM you some help.

Against my better judgement, I picked up yet a couple more plants at Home Depot--both native plants--Mealy Primrose Primula Laurentiana and a Sensitive Fern Onoclea Sensibilis. My name is Neko Nomad and Iam a plantaholic.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:51 am
neko nomad wrote:
I maintain photo archives on zip disk (for unedited shots) and hard drive files (neko nomad series for all my posted ones). So, I have a pictorial and botanical chronicle stored up, starting in 1992,which is when I got my camera, a Canon S30. They're all dated, so during the off season I can go over them in order to determine where to squeeze in yet another flower.

!!! Very impressive.

Quote:
My name is Neko Nomad and Iam a plantaholic.

:wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:28 pm
First of 3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/amsterdam1b700.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:29 pm
Second of 3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/amsterdam1b700016.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:30 pm
Last of 3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/amsterdam1b012.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:29 pm
love your garden, c.i. ! do you allow your neighbours to cross your pond without charging admisssion ? hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:33 pm
hbg, I never charge anybody to look at my garden. As a matter of fact, I'll even throw in a drink or two - and snacks if I have in the house. Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:56 pm
Where is that c.i.? It isn't California.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:25 pm
cjh, It's in Holland - at the Kukenhof Gardens. Just returned last Saturday from a 30 day journey to Malta and Europe. The Europe a2k Gathering in London and Lippstadt were both excellent and successful events.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:54 am
wow, beautiful pictures, ci. Thanks for sharing them.

My garden doesn't look anything like those pictures but it's looking lovely just the same. The bergenia is in bloom, contrasting nicely with the Virginia blue bells. The hostas are up and unfurling. The 'Johnson's blue' geraniums are setting buds, as are the roses, the ladies mantel, and the columbine. I went to two different plants sales this past weekend including the one at the Chicago Botanical gardens and boughts some more dicentra and columbine as well as some cimicifuga and some ligularia (ragwort). Most of my gardens bloom in shades of pinks and blues so these will add some contrast to the color scheme.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:54 am
J_B, You are welcome! I'm usually into my flower planting by now, but with so many trips planned for this year, I've not planted anything this year. Your garden with all those flowers would be way ahead of mine in any year, but that being said, we would like to see a picture of your garden.
0 Replies