How is your garden looking today?

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:22 pm
I used to find these in my garden in spring (March here in CA, May in MI/MA). Nothing this year.

http://www.vittlesvamp.com/images/morel.jpg
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:01 pm
Better luck next year,cj....

However,the spring flowers in my front yard are at their max, and are soon to be replaced with violets and llily-of-the valley which will be groundcover for summer.
Moreover, I'm quite pleased with the virginia bluebells mertensia virginica, which is now firmly established in a couple of clumps since being set out about ten years ago. Click the thumbnail for a fullscreen view.
http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/2030.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:09 pm
My VA bluebells got swamped in last weekend's storm. All the stems flattened. It's passing it's peak right now.

I'm so busy building up a burm (2 bucket-fulls at a time!) that I haven't stopped to smell the roses, so to speak. I have bergenia and primrose in bloom. The variegated solomon seal has unfurled. The korean spicebush is almost passing. The jacob's ladder is blooming, various lamium are in bloom too. And, one of my favorites is in it's full glory - foam flower tiarella.

I have a lovely patch of vinca/creeping jenny/wild ginger/violet which is lush and beautiful together.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:15 pm
Bought lisianthas, petunias, geraniums and marigolds today. A beautiful lemon African daisy. Putting into pots this weekend.
Roses are blooming.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:19 pm
can I come sit in your garden, littlek? I might even haul a bucket or two for your berm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:20 pm
eoe - You're in GA, right? Aren't the roses always blooming?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:22 pm
Spotted two posts just as I was about to shut down for the nite... Quick post here:

I hope you have a good supply of Ben-Gay, littlek, eoe. Good Luck!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:37 pm
neko - nope, I don't. But, I'm tough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:42 pm
littlek wrote:
neko - nope, I don't. But, I'm tough.

Ha!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1161007#1161007

Take care of yourself, Miss K.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:57 pm
Well, I am tougher in some ways more than other ways. I just looked down and saw two raised bruises on my forearms - what did I do to myself this time?

Well, the daytime 12-hour allergy stuff seemed to help, thankfully.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:14 pm
littlek wrote:
eoe - You're in GA, right? Aren't the roses always blooming?

Not mine! I'm a neophyte to roses and the blooming of one small stem that I yanked out of the ground a few years ago and replanted thrills me. It's bigger and fuller every year.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:17 pm
I'm thinking of those little red roses that grew all over the place - maybe it's just that type that works all year.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:23 am
I've been away from home for almost one month, and I'm afraid most of the plants that requires water will be all gone when I get home in a few more days.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:27 pm
(click--full screen)The radical front yard.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:24 pm
dandelions are in full bloom !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:44 pm
My lawn is mostly brown.... <tears>
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:59 pm
cii. : i hate to see a grown man cry. how many dandilions do you want me to send you to cheer you up ? hbg

p.s. i also have an abundance of "stinkweed" in the backyard, want some of that too ? it's got lovely little blue flowers !
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:25 am
Yesterday was sweet. I spent the entire day outside. Planted everything but the lisianthas, caged the tomatoes, put up a new bird feeder that's supposed to be squirrel-proof (we'll see) and this morning my right knee is swollen, the rest of my body is sore and I'm limping around but happy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:38 am
neko nomad-I like the fiddleheads in the front of your pic. There is a brief time slot in which we enjoy these scheduled heralds of another seasons promise of our soil.
Enjoy your fiddlehead days. We are going into Iris week , then into peonie time.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:17 pm
Hi, farmerman: Those are lady ferns Athyrium felix-femina, and they were only a a few inches high (6 " <) just the day before -- the initial growth is phenominal.

There's a steady succession of bloom, with snowdrops being the first, coming in the last half of April, continuing until the goldenrods finally join in in late August. The summer flowers are mainly out back.

Primulas are coming up next and are sort of half-open now, as is the flowering crab. Irises come after them.

Would insert some pics here, but I can't access Ravens Realm today for some reason.

The tulips are in bloom now, giving a kaleidoscope of colors, much like colored Easter eggs perched on slender stems

Am a bit disappointed that the southern gardeners don't show and tell about their gardens. I'll guess that the magnolias aren' too far off, eh?
0 Replies