How is your garden looking today?

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:52 pm
I finally planted seven tomato plants yesterday. Gotta plant at least one more. Cherry tomatoes have volunteered all over the place so I won't be planting any more of those.

Also have to put in some pole beans. Blue Lake pole are the best. Tastiest and most prolific. Once they have fruited from bottom to top, I just leave them in the ground and they will eventually do a second showing. There is nothing like a just picked green bean.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:31 pm
Thanks littlek. Yes, I think she does deserve to have her picture taken. I keep a small photo album of things we do around the house and I shoot the garden every year. Maybe this weekend.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:31 pm
home after 5 days away - yowsa, things are wildly blooming. The snowball bush in the backyard seems to have grown past the satellite dish. I'm going to have to go upstairs and see if I can see the blossoms through the second floor window.

The bridal wreath spirea in the front yard is droopy and lacy and lovely - and the poppies are just ready to pop. The hostas that outline a small section of the front yard are up - at least a month ahead of schedule! The green stuff is sure loving all of the rain that's been coming down.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:36 pm
I don't have a garden, but I have one ivy plant. It's dead. That can't be good, can it.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:31 pm
Now if you were a real gardener you would know that the only good ivy is a dead ivy.
They are alright in pots and in the garden for a year or two but they reach a stage when they suddenly want to blanket everything and gettting rid of them at that stage is nigh on impossible.
So if you can kill ivy perhaps you have a future as a gardener after all.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:39 pm
No no no. We have plenty of English ivy around here that is more than welcome. It effortlessly blankets the shady landscape where not much else would grow without alot of work. You just have to control it, nothing more than chopping it down to where you want it, so it doesn't choke everything else.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:48 am
There's ivy out here (California Ivy, also known as English ivy) that eats fences and homes. Me hates the stuff. In more severe climates it doesn't grow like it does here (year round). Nasty sheit.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:10 am
I am glad some people feel the same. i simply don't like ivy and never did and that's that. i like a nice lawn that i can throw a blanket on and read and catch some carcinogenic suntan. don't even like periwinkle, nope. just a smaller ivy is what it is.
on an even grumpier note, the mason STILL didn't finish all the work in the backyard and i STILL cannot build my vegetable garden. poor tomatoes, peppers, herbs, all this stuff, is starting to mope in the little containers they have to live in. people these days!!! abominable! grrrrrrr. maybe i should have some coffee first, world may just turn out to be a better place afterwards.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:12 am
BBB
Finally, my rear yard project is finished. The pavers look wonderful. And last year's in the ground planting of trees and shrubs have all survived and are thriving.

Since I'm unable to dig in hard ground, I planted everything in pots. The hydrangeas and roses are blooming. The bulbs are starting to pop up except for one or two pots of bulbs, which apparently take longer to sprout.

In my large wooden raised planter box, I planted 74 strawberry and 4 tomato plants. I will be able to pick a few strawberries in a day or two and some are bright red, but still firm. I can hardly wait to have really flavorful strawberries instead of the red rocks found in stores.

I bought some beautiful yard table and chairs that I think Maddy won't be able to chew up.

The front yard is nearly finished. The lawn will be replaced June 9th with a product I will report on after it is installed.

Now I'm mostly watering and pulling pesky weeds, and raking up Maddy's poops. Better in the yard than in the house.

Dyslexia and Diane seemed to enjoy my landscaping during their visit with me last week between searching for a house to buy and evening dinners.

BBB
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:35 am
I wanna be in New Mexico . I love it there. In my perfect world Id summer in MAine and winter in New Mexico. Of course I could summer and winter in NM but I couldnt winter in MAine, too little light.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:39 am
Farmerman
Farmerman, Dys and Diane are waiting to learn if their house purchase offer was accepted. The house is about one mile from my home. So you will have to come to Albuquerque and visit with Dys, Diane and me. We have guest rooms.

BBB
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
My peonies and clematis (who names these things?) are in full bloom. I love my garden because it's full of perennials that require almost no work.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 05:52 pm
Farmerman
Farmerman, Dys and Diane's offer was accepted; they got the house. They are like a couple of excited kids getting ready for Christmas. Ain't it great!

BBB
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:11 pm
Summer flowers out back.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:04 pm
Fighting off some kind of sticky yellow bug infestation in the crookneck squash and zucchini. Can't find any info on this nasty little thing. Does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? I've been picking them off and that seems to be working but I'd sure like to know what the hell it is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:08 pm
My garden got a serious makeover. New wall in the back, new lawn instead of periwinkle (which I hated), new flowerbeds with mulch nd borders, new everything. Life.... so beautiful!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:20 pm
BBB, Im sorry I missed your post about Dys, diane and their house. Wow, really neat. Are they gonna move from Denver , or split time between?
I have my Sandia peppers growing like mad here, One of my colleagues from Sandia had arecipe for A CHhicken dish topped witha softened giant Sandia chile and topped with a fried egg.

My garden report

I planted all the floweres that I bought inMAy

Weve had a rather wet summer start.

Some plants like that , others dont

Those that dont, let us know by dying

Not much we can do with the dead ones so we celebrate the living

Weve just peaked on the day lily and asian lily season

We are now enteringpeak bloomtime of annuals

The wave petunias are drawing hummingbirds like crazy. These are very territorial little beggars and there are constant hummingbird dogfights in the skies over the monarda beds and the petunias.

Sunflowers are strating to bloom, you cant stay mad at anybody with sunflowers all around, they just make ya happy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:31 pm
farmerman - pictures!

I have gotten my digital camera working (yay!) and have pix of the garden from early spring on up to this week. I'll work on getting them online.

Right now, not much is in bloom. The kusa dogwoods are still at it (barely) and the stewartia is in the middle of it. Abd the watchacallit is about to start blooming (I'll be back with it's real name after I eat.....).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:41 pm
My garden was doing great, but then one day while I was away, we had a hail storm here that destroyed most of it :-( I've been out doing damage control since we've been back. Had to buy some tomatoes today since all mine were destroyed. My zucchini, peppers, mellons, and some of the other stuff didn't make it either. I planted some new seeds of stuff that grows fast in the spaces where I lost the other stuff. It broke my heart when I got back and saw my poor garden :-(
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:54 pm
That's terrible, Montana! I also have a garden so I understand all of the hard work that you have done to create it. Hopefully you will be able to salvage some of it; Mother Nature can be cruel. Sad

About 10 years ago we had a tornado pass through our town that tipped all the tomato cages over in my garden and ripped some of the plants out by the roots. The good news was that it didn't harm my home or anything else in my yard.
0 Replies