Every picture tells a story, don't it?

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:03 pm
Mo came home with his school pictures today and oh man.....

I have taken thousands upon thousands of photos of this child yet I have never seen that expression before. What a strange little look on his little face.

I love them! But who is that boy?

Of course, I ordered about a hundred of them.

What is it about school pictures that make people feel all wiggly and homesick?

Or is it just me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 930 • Replies: 14
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:39 pm
Okay. Maybe it is just me. Here is one of the rare early photos of me, circa 1967 or so....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/meagain.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:43 pm
Awwwwwww!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:55 pm
So sweet!!

Do we get to see Mo's, too?

Sozlet was sick on picture day (grr, one of only 2.5 days missed so far), retakes are next week.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:57 pm
I hated my school photos.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
I get pictures of little Bean alot of times, with an expression on her face that truly makesher look like a diffrent child...

Im thinking she was abducted..

HA
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:34 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I get pictures of little Bean alot of times, with an expression on her face that truly makesher look like a diffrent child...

Im thinking she was abducted..

HA

By alians?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 01:56 pm
School pictures are always of aliens. Duckie got his back and he has the stranges smile that I've never seen. But it's still cute -- missing tooth and all. Someting about that full frontal angle and the 1/2 second to smile before the guy takes the picture because there are 120 kids waiting their turn makes for pictures that we don't recognize of ourselves.

What I remember is that my hair was always a mess and my smile looked unnatural. I hated all of my school pictures.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 05:43 pm
When I was in kindergarten, we had group photos. I, being one of the smaller kinds in class, was in the front row, sitting crosslegged on the floor. We must have been all been looking at the floor or something because I remember the photographer telling us to "look up." Being the literal mind that I am, I looked up...way up to the ceiling. That's when the photographer snapped.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 06:50 pm
School photos bring back distinct feelings for me. I think of those awkward silly moments when we were exchanging the little wallet sized pics with our friends and our crushes at the time. Writing goofy things on the back.

I still have a few pics of the old crushes in my mom's photo album i think. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:13 am
FreeDuck wrote:
What I remember is that my hair was always a mess

Sozlet's re-take day is today. Her hair is waist-length these days (due for a haircut) and can be unruly. I combed it all out, washed it yesterday evening, was dry before bed, everything was pretty much prepared. I think she looks best with her hair down but that's not really practical for going to school, so planned to do that thing (it must have a name) where you just take the top half of the hair (temples up say) and put it back (barette or small ponytail), then leave the rest down.

Simple enough, but would NOT happen. Every time I tried she'd get these weird horrible lumps on top of her head. We've done this before plenty, but TODAY, not happening, no how no way. She was patient for a while but finally said with some exasperation, "just put it in a ponytail already!" So it's in a plain old boring ponytail. I told her she could take the ponytail out before the picture and have her hair down -- it'd fall nicely then -- but she said "nah."

Eh. I'm sure it'll be fine.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:32 am
I know those lumps! And I know that hairstyle -- I wore it a lot as an older kid and sometimes still do it when I'm in need of a haircut.

It always seemed like if I combed or brushed it too much it just wouldn't sit straight when I pulled it back. Too much on one side, redo, too much on the other, definitely NOT the shape of my head.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:12 am
I don't have a scanner to put Mo's up but it is a funny cute little picture.

I think there is something about school photos that makes them a little bit funny in a kind of heartbreaking way. Your hair is supposed to be goofy. Your smile is supposed to be off. Maybe it's just the continuity of the process that makes it so loveable. Maybe it just seems to coax out that self conciousness that most kids are barely aware of.

Whatever it is - it's priceless.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:13 pm
The thing I remember about my kids' school photos were the teeth. Oh my God! Where did those huge tablets come from? Mt. Sinai? The poor guys! They finally grew into those pearly whites, but it seemed like it took years. About that time they started wearing glasses. Who helped them pick those out anyway? Must have been their father.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:34 pm
That's a good take on it, boomer, I agree.

(Mt. Sinai, hehehehe..!)
0 Replies