Death is the negation of all the dying individual stood for"

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:24 am
I heard that somewhere. A cryonist said it. Cryonists freeze their bodies upon death, thus concluding what they call their "first life cycle". The idea is that they will be defrosted and revitalized when technology has made it possible. They say:

"Death is the negation of everything the dying individual stood for".

I say that is a load of crap, unless the dying person stood for more of everything for himself, in which case I say good riddance.

Are there anyone who's not crazy who thinks the claim in the headline true?

Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,467 • Replies: 49
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 06:08 pm
The quote makes no sense at all, but the idea of freezing isn't entirely without merit. It may be useful to have well preserved bodies from the past in the future, and it is not impossible that we develop some technology that allows us to revive people or at least certain body parts.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
I think I am of the opinion that preserving the influence of people that are that selfish and ignorant is like preserving cancer or HIV. Our time is now. The future belongs to our decendants, and I think our short sighted and egotistical behaviour has already cost them too much. But maybe that's just me.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 06:58 pm
Choosing to be frozen is of course a selfish decision, but so is buying a car. What's wrong with it?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 07:10 pm
It's greedy. Not neccesarily buying a car, but that is often greedy as well.

One thing is to consume the resources needed to live in general comfort. Another thing is to err on the side of excess in all areas of life. If a battery powered smart-car is enough for your purpose, why buy a gas guzzling monster?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 09:57 pm
Re: Death is the negation of all the dying individual stood
Cyracuz wrote:
I heard that somewhere. A cryonist said it. Cryonists freeze their bodies upon death, thus concluding what they call their "first life cycle". The idea is that they will be defrosted and revitalized when technology has made it possible. They say:

"Death is the negation of everything the dying individual stood for".

I say that is a load of crap, unless the dying person stood for more of everything for himself, in which case I say good riddance.

Are there anyone who's not crazy who thinks the claim in the headline true?

Evil or Very Mad

THAT is the biggest question.
How wud u KNOW ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:18 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
It's greedy. Not neccesarily buying a car, but that is often greedy as well.

Greed makes the world go 'round.

Since the first microbial life began to evolve,
every creature has done whatever he cud
to serve his interests, as well as possible,
within his perception.
Greed is the natural state of affairs.

It seems to me,
that each of us owes it to himself
to cram as much happiness and beauty
into his life experience as possible.

Quote:

One thing is to consume the resources needed to live in general comfort.

Another thing is to err on the side of excess in all areas of life. If a battery powered smart-car is enough for your purpose,
why buy a gas guzzling monster?

U shud only do it,
if u believe that it will optimally add to the fun of your life.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:28 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I think I am of the opinion that preserving the influence of people that are that selfish and ignorant is like preserving cancer or HIV. Our time is now.
The future belongs to our decendants
, and I think our short sighted and egotistical behaviour has already cost them too much. But maybe that's just me.

Logically, each man needs to decide
what will best serve HIS OWN interests
and leave every other man to do likewise,
the idea being to maximize our personal joy.
I lovingly endorse selfishness
and consider any non-selfish person
to be a possibly dangerous oddball,
whom I don 't feel entirely safe, nor comfortable around.

I feel good around selfish people.
David
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:04 am
Quote:

If it floats yer boat, fine I guess. But everyone realizes sooner or later that trinkets and all kind of self indulgencies fall short in providing a happy life. Only other people can give you that. How can an entirely self centered mind ever fully accept that?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:07 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

If it floats yer boat, fine I guess. But everyone realizes sooner or later
that trinkets and all kind of self indulgencies fall short
in providing a happy life. Only other people can give you that.

Can u PROVE that ?
or is that just a speculative n conjectural theory ?

Quote:

How can an entirely self centered mind ever fully accept that?

Well, my decades of personal experience
counterindicate your conclusion;
hence, I deny that a self centered mind
( or any mind ) shud accept that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
I find the headline rather weak. I could agree with it, but would have to use my liberal tongue for that.

About cyronists: it strikes me as funny that so many would assume the folks with the technology (in the future) will want to revive them. Maybe revive them for their own purposes, but somehow doubtful to me that anyone would want to revive a frozen human for altruistic reasons. I picture...using them for organs, or science, or other 'useful' means. Not so that they can help us speed along overpopulation! But who knows...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
flushd

I've had similar thoughts. It's the perfect scam really. Someone gives you a lot of money to revive them from the dead... Not as if they'll ever know you cheated them. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:55 pm
About 40 years ago,
I used to believe that cryogenic interment
was the way to go.

However, I 've since come to doubt
that thay r saving all of the parts.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:15 am
The less wealthy cryonists would not preserve their entire bodies. Just the heads...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:24 am
flushd wrote:
I find the headline rather weak. I could agree with it, but would have to use my liberal tongue for that.

Really? I have no idea what the sentence is even supposed to mean, grammatically. It makes no sense.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:09 am
Quote:
Really? I have no idea what the sentence is even supposed to mean, grammatically. It makes no sense.

Don't blame me. That's how they said it. The cryonists. Except they used the word 'everything' where I used 'all'. Not enough letters allowed in the headline to make that work. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:48 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
The less wealthy cryonists would not preserve their entire bodies. Just the heads...

My point was that thay do not keep
the spirit--the conscious life force.
I believe that the conscious life force
is more than just idle superstition.

We cannot see nor measure the spirit NOW,
but there was a time
when we cud not measure nor percieve radio waves, either.

Saving a radio
is only good if there r radio waves
that will enter it.
David
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:17 am
By extension of this argument it would be generously within my means to feed 5 african villages and 500 children more deserving of life than myself and still live a comfortable life, but im not gonna do that, and that makes me not any more selfish relative to anyone else in this forum or the first world.

i am going to eat a chicken that died involuntarily
i am going to drive my suv and contribute to a rising sea level that will displace millions of refugees.
i am going to buy nike merchandise and add to the market for child labour factories
i am going to use plastic bags in the supermarket and choke a turtle with it

i am in a fortunate enough of a position to do many things to make the world a better place but like most of you i wont, this cryonics business just takes the selfishness to a new level and all the bad ethics around it will be negated by a millions of dollars of donation to charity which most of them end up doing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:56 am
flakker wrote:
By extension of this argument it would be generously within my means to feed 5 african villages and 500 children more deserving of life than myself and still live a comfortable life,
but im not gonna do that, and that makes me not any more selfish relative to anyone else in this forum or the first world.

i am going to eat a chicken that died involuntarily
i am going to drive my suv and contribute to a rising sea level that will displace millions of refugees.
i am going to buy nike merchandise and add to the market for child labour factories
i am going to use plastic bags in the supermarket and choke a turtle with it

i am in a fortunate enough of a position to do many things to make the world a better place but like most of you i wont, this cryonics business just takes the selfishness to a new level and all the bad ethics around it will be negated by a millions of dollars of donation to charity which most of them end up doing.

I applaud your selfishness.
Everyone shud be selfish; that has been nature 's way
since b4 the first dinosaur was hatched.

I have always been selfish,
but I seldom donate to collectivist charities.

However, it can be fun to donate to an INDIVIDUAL,
in your presence.
David
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:03 am
i prefer the "bang for the buck" that charities offer.

i heard during one of those donation drive programs that the red cross could buy 500 vaccines for a buck, 700litres of water for half a cent, 22 maternity wards for a pack of cigarettes etc

crazy full on, mind blowing figures that make you think about how lucky you are to be in the first world and makes you contemplate the buying power of your current means, the disparity between value for human labour between countries.

did i make a donation? i liked the buying power of my dollar in my wallet as opposed to in nigeria
0 Replies