Iraqis fail to seize their own destiny

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:01 am
Once again, Iraqis fail to seize their own destiny
Foulath Hadid International Herald Tribune
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2006

OXFORD, England The country that was once Iraq is facing meltdown after its "liberation" by the Americans. The Iraqis have to face some harsh realities.

First, they must come to terms with whether they have a national identity.

Then they must resolve the all-important question of why, given several opportunities in their 85-year history as a nation, they have not been able to take control of their own destiny. If anything, they have proven themselves to be spectacular failures at the job.

Iraqis have been unable to fuse the nine or 10 religious, sectarian and ethnic groups into a single identity that could have contributed to building the core of their country rather than tearing it apart.

The Iraqi "federalists" charged with writing the present Iraqi constitution exhorted the populace to unite in the preamble with words such as: "We the sons of the Land of the Two Rivers ... land of the prophets, resting place of the leaders of civilization and the creators of the alphabet" and so on. But these ringing words were not enough to unite Iraqis behind what has proved to be a seriously flawed constitution that highlighted Iraqi divisiveness from the outset.

Since the elections there has been an ongoing, low- intensity civil war that threatens to erupt into a full- fledged one with ramifications too horrible to contemplate for all parties concerned, including the occupying American forces.

Partition has now become an option. Several Kurdish and Shiite leaders have promoted the partition scenario already. One of the Kurdish region's two prime ministers, Bahram Salih, declared "As long as we Kurds are condemned to live in Iraq, I want to be a full citizen of my country." One can hardly describe that as a patriotic statement.

Jean Monnet, the father of the European Union, said in reference to his vision of a federated Europe, "We are not uniting states, we are uniting men." In their failure to solve the identity issue, Iraq and Iraqis are enacting the exact opposite of what Jean Monnet recommended.

Iraqis failure to build their own nation when given opportunities to do so is harder to understand. The inhabitants of the three Ottoman provinces of Baghdad, Mosul and Basra rose in a major revolt against the occupying British forces in 1920. The rebellion was suppressed by the overwhelming use of British air power but the British were, nevertheless, forced to concede a limited degree of democracy, which the Iraqis had been clamoring for. But the cohesive leadership that the uprising spawned soon fizzled out under the new monarchy created by the British.

In 1936, a coup by General Bakr Sidqi promised to bring in much-needed reforms the people were demanding. Yet the Iraqis again failed to seize the opportunity to forge a united nation, despite the fact that the nationalist forces were all represented in government. Within a year, Sidqi was assassinated and the nationalist forces split, with some of their leaders persecuted and many forced into exile.

The revolution that toppled the monarchy in 1958 met with unprecedented support from all factions and presented the best opportunity for forging a nation-state. Its failure proved once again the inability of Iraqis to take control of their own destiny.

In almost three decades of living under Saddam Hussein's rule, experiencing the most tyrannical forms of coercion, Iraqis failed to rise in the way that other peoples have risen against tyrants. The Americans had to do the job for them in 2003. When given the chance yet again, they have managed to bring Iraq to the meltdown situation we are witnessing today.

King Faisal I, who was imported from the Hijaz, in what is now Saudi Arabia, to become Iraq's king in 1921, had this to say about the Iraqis shortly before his death in 1933: "There is still - and I say this with a heart full of sorrow - no Iraqi people but unimaginable masses of human beings, devoid of any patriotic ideas, imbued with religious traditions and absurdities, connected by no common tie, giving ear to evil, prone to anarchy, and perpetually ready to rise against any government whatever."

Did Faisal know something we didn't?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 659 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:10 am
More blame the victim? I'd have thought folks would have learned.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:34 am
DrewDad wrote:
More blame the victim? I'd have thought folks would have learned.

Surely a good conservative like McGentrix wouldn't play the blame the victim game.... that's for Godless. spineless liberals who don't want to shoot people. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:44 am
Re: Iraqis fail to seize their own destiny
Foulath Hadid in McGentrix' wrote:
First, they must come to terms with whether they have a national identity.

Then they must resolve the all-important question of why, given several opportunities in their 85-year history as a nation, they have not been able to take control of their own destiny. If anything, they have proven themselves to be spectacular failures at the job.

The history of the United Kingdom of etc. is much longer ... and still there's no real single nationalty. [That wouldn't be good for other footbal nations as well if they had one Laughing ]

I mean, the problem of having different religions, tribes, nations in one country isn't a singular fact only in Iraq, other countries have the same difficulties .... and it has taken much longer to get a kind of "single nationalty" there - if at all. (Not pointing here to those "artifical" countries in Africa but - besides the above example - to counties like Italy, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain ...)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:55 am
Expecting Iraq to become a cohesive democratic nation is similar to expecting to fit a square peg into a round hole. The only one who expected that to happen is that square peg sitting in the "oval" office.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:00 am
Funny, I sort of agree with McG on this one.

Oh, I don't blame the Iraqi people for what's happening right now, but I do think that they have failed to establish a national identity, which is going to be crucial for their survival. I mean, if they don't get on top of some sort of unity quick, many (more) of them will be dead and the rest will be living in some country that sure isn't called Iraq.

I suppose that part of the problem is that there IS a national Identity in Iraq... but it's for the Ottoman empire.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:00 am
au1929 wrote:
Expecting Iraq to become a cohesive democratic nation is similar to expecting to fit a square peg into a round hole. The only one who expected that to happen is that square peg sitting in the "oval" office.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:06 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, I don't blame the Iraqi people for what's happening right now, but I do think that they have failed to establish a national identity, which is going to be crucial for their survival.

I think history shows that one can expect a period of chaos following a successful invasion.

Creating a national identity could take a generation or more.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:07 am
DrewDad wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, I don't blame the Iraqi people for what's happening right now, but I do think that they have failed to establish a national identity, which is going to be crucial for their survival.

I think history shows that one can expect a period of chaos following a successful invasion.

The sad part is, I don't believe that they have a generation or more to do so.

Actually, they may have that time no matter what we do; but, the national identity will probably be fundamentalist islaam.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:09 am
True that.

Worse, fundamentalist Islam with a festering hatred of the United States.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:10 am
Even worse, they would be completely justified in doing so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:11 am
I suppose that this "patriotic" nationalty feling you have as an USA citizen isn't shared in some dozens other countries.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:15 am
DrewDad wrote:
True that.

Worse, fundamentalist Islam with a festering hatred of the United States.

I disagree. It is my deeply held belief that because of geroge w bush's fearless brilliant and God fearing prosecution of this war against Iraq that peace, prosperity and the utter defeat of even a disgruntled Middle Easterner is just around the corner.

No virgins for me though please. Two hookers and an eight ball will do nicely.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:15 am
DrewDad wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

A generation to overcome tribalism, sectarian differences and hundreds of years of feuds and hatreds. That sounds like another Bush daydream.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:48 am
Sadly, the best we can now hope for is that all those warring factions will be so busy blowing each other up that they will forget all about us once we pull out. Of course nothing unites people better than a common enemy...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
There is are some very true points of that article, however much I dislike the way the title appears to be blaming the Iraqi people for the mess they're in.

Thing is, even if they divide the country into three, the fighting will continue. The only thing that seems certain to me is that the fighting will continue there for a long time. We can't put that genie back in the bottle.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:46 am
We could, actually, but it would require some pretty ruthless actions.

Israel manages to supress/oppress the Palestinians fairly well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:00 pm
Yes, but they still have violence and terrorism.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:26 pm
DrewDad
Want peace in Iraq. Re-install Saddam. Embarrassed
0 Replies