When Shutting Up isn't Cowardice

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:44 pm
It would be interesting if you could see that someone you've ignored has posted - the name, date and time, so the thread stays contiguous - but not get delivered any of the text of the post. If you decide you want to read what they wrote, you could hit a button similar to the 'pm' button on the message bar.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
This thread has more life than i would have thought. I kinda sorta agree with the idea of an ignore button. It would tend, thoughl, to fracture discussion, as some people would see what others were ignoring, and a few might respond to it--and you'd still have the disruption, which is what it is all about.

One thing that does work, though not all the time, is to accurately and effectively refute what another member is presenting. In one recent thread, a member was making a contention which was based on what that member wanted to believe, as opposed to what the member could substantiate with off-site references. I insisted that member was wrong, because the situation actually was far different than the member was describing, and found information off-site to support what i had written. That member did not subsequently respond. That doesn't mean that the member in question thought i was right, necessarily, and the member in question might simply have had no further interest in the thread of discussion.

But it leads me to point out something no one else has pointed out here, and that is that this is still assumed to be a knowledge site. I hate Hitler threads--i hate them because i have never yet seen a one which presented any original ideas, and because the man was scum who doesn't merit the attention he gets. Garden variety tinpot dictators are a dime a dozen in history, and Hitler never showed any skill other than gutter politics; he wasn't even as good at what he did as a great many others throughout history. So, i largely ignore the Hitler threads, unless i drop by to ridicule the fascination people have for him, or to point out what a thorough-going loser he was. But when people come here to try to make out that he was a military genius (an all too common claim), then i feel that i should respond seriously to point out that this is definitely not so.

So, what to do when a troll shows up and starts filling the site with misinformation? I think that one is then obliged to attempt to dispell the false information, while also not responding directly to the troll. Attack the idea and ignore the troll. Not easy to do, i know.

But if you're ignoring someone, and they're peddling the old "history is written by the victors" horsiepoop, you won't know it, and won't be able to challenge that. Obviously, i'm obsessed with history--but there are any number of topics to which the same situation applies. Our Farmerman does yoeman's service in attacking the anti-evolution propagandists. If he just put them on ignore, how many students would read the cow flops which pass for science by the propagandists, and never hear a dissenting voice?

It probably is useful to ignore the trolls, but as Phoenix points out, it must be total. At the same time, the foul notions they often drop off here should not be left to fester. We may ignore the trolls, but we should not ignore egregious false information they leave. That largely doesn't effect the Political forum, of course, where opinion rules and reliable information is usually the red-eared step child.

Farmerman is a god!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:51 pm
Or alternatively, God is a farmerman..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:53 pm
I think he's the intelligent designer but he's embarrassed by his boo-boos and is peddling this evolution crap to cover.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
nimh wrote:

I have no truck with gods who demand big "g".

Farmerman is my idea of perfection in confronting nonsense.......simple, calm refutations with heaps of knowledge behind them.

Mebbe trolls are sent from heaven to make us evolve?

Notice how one sort of troll one can ignore with serenity and surprise that such could ever get under anyone's skin, while another clearly HAS to be called and refuted? (I use troll loosely.....lots of folk prolly just persistently post lots of similar stuff because they think it important, not simply to engender fury and such)

Perhaps trolls were put here to enable us to meet and wrestle with our particular demons?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:03 pm
dlowan wrote:
nimh wrote:

I have no truck with gods who demand big "g".

Farmerman is my idea of perfection in confronting nonsense.......simple, calm refutations with heaps of knowledge behind them.

Plus he's funny! Calm, smart, funny, and doesn't take himself too seriously... swoon.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:04 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think he's the intelligent designer but he's embarrassed by his boo-boos and is peddling this evolution crap to cover.

Not so intelligent, then?

Perhaps the dipsomaniac designer?

"Oh no!!!! I had a blackout last night from the vodka, and look...I made MOSQUITOES, bubonic plague, and allowed the gene for mass murder to drip into the human gene pool! Oh, Me, I need a drink....."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:04 pm
Another swooner here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:08 pm
I believe in Farmerman as my personal savior.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:47 pm
I haven't spent as much time on A2K these last few months as formerly.
However I suspect I know the identity (or perhaps some of the identities) of the "troll" or spoiler who is the subject of all this. (Even if I don't know the circumstances of his recent offenses.)

I believe the intentions of all here are good, but suspect that this thread itself has given most of us at least a fleeting sense of the temptations and dangers that beset even the most reasonable of us once we assume for ourselves the power or right to judge the overall worth of another's "existence", or merely participation in these forums.

Who here has never been overbearing or repetitious in making his/her points? Who here has never unnecessarily personalized disagreement over ideas in discussion or cast personal aspersions on his interlocutor? Who here has never sidetracked a thread over a digression or a single element of complex matter under discussion? I will readily concede that none of you (in my experience) comes at all close to the troll in question in the frequency and consistency of these offenses. Indeed Thomas is insuffrably circumspect and polite - far more so than I am (he may even meet the standards above, while I certainly don't).

Preemptive judgements of others, particularly to exclude or banish them from connections with others,. are inherently dangerous to the group considering them. I recognize that Thomas has carefully avoided that trap by suggesting only that the offender be ignored only in direct and immediate response to his offenses themselves - and not on a more complete basis. However this can be a fine line, hard to observe in practice.

Tolerance really is a virtue, even though some test ours more than others.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:00 pm
Yeah, like, what georgeob1 said.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:12 am
I don't know that anyone here is suggesting that the troll not be tolerated (although some may have), simply that it is best ignored. George's saintly post notwithstanding, i have no reason to argue with ignoring a troll, and don't consider that it has anything to do with "virtuous tolerance."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:19 am
At Abuzz they used to say:

Scroll, scroll, scroll ! ! !
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 01:44 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I was googling around, trying to find out if you'd posted (anywhere) your personal voting preferences (based on finn's question)

I posted my voting preference for a dozen countries or so in this thread: What would you vote if you lived in ...?; Germany is here, Belgium here; Spain, Greece, Italy and France here; and I covered Central & Eastern Europe roughly here.

Loved that thread, btw.

Still impressed you found me back anywhere with Google though, I never can - the National Institute of Mental Health keeps getting in the way!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 05:26 pm
nimh wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
I was googling around, trying to find out if you'd posted (anywhere) your personal voting preferences (based on finn's question)

I posted my voting preference for a dozen countries or so in this thread: What would you vote if you lived in ...?; Germany is here, Belgium here; Spain, Greece, Italy and France here; and I covered Central & Eastern Europe roughly here.

Loved that thread, btw.

Still impressed you found me back anywhere with Google though, I never can - the National Institute of Mental Health keeps getting in the way!

O woe Nimh, and his thusly shadowed life!!!!!

I never can - the National Institute of Mental Health keeps getting in the way!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
VIVA CHAVEZ!!!!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 07:59 pm
dlowan wrote:
O woe Nimh, and his thusly shadowed life!!!!!

I never can - the National Institute of Mental Health keeps getting in the way!

Yes, isnt it deliciously ironic/symbolic?

I swear I didnt know about the N.I.M.H when I chose my username... not that it would have changed anything...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
No, it wouldn't have . . . after all, it's you, Habibi . . .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:51 pm
Yep <grins>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:58 pm
No its me habibi Mr. Green

Gotta remember, nimh ... yer among some OLD freinds here :wink:
0 Replies