Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 12:44 pm
Man, I feel sympathetic - for a change - to a very rich person. Steve Wynn, the Las Vegas entrapreneur and art collector, has, according to a report by Nora Ephron, put his elbow through his newly purchased Picasso, that purchase price being $139,000,000. Turns out he has poor peripheral vision from an eye problem, one I have too. Seems to me, though, that that canvas must have been really weak.

I've in my past gotten "points" in canvasses, which I usually can get out by the famous sponge method... but I only had a torn canvas once, and that was because my irish setter put his foot through it (don't ask).

Article at Yahoo here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 841 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:23 pm
oh I know!

when I saw that news story my jaw dropped.

I looked at my husband and he had these wide eyes, like DAMN!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:23 pm
Clicking through to Nora Ephron's story:

Quote:
Steve Wynn picked up the phone and left a message for his art dealer. Then he called his wife Elaine. "You'll never believe what I just did," he said to her. From where we stood, on the other end of the phone call, Elaine seemed to take the news calmly and did not yell at her husband. This was particularly impressive to my own husband.

Laughing

Man, the poor guy...

Restorable?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:27 pm
Insured, I've no doubt. And I'd be happy to take 1% of the payout.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:27 pm
I'm thinking it probably is, handled by the right conservator. Or restorer, whatever the word is. Lightwizard would know..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:28 pm
not to worry , steve wynn will just ask picasso to make a new picture for him ; what's $140 million between friends :wink: ?
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:29 pm
Restorable.

Quote:
The painting wound up in the hands of an art restorer, who has told Wynn that when he's done with it, in six or eight weeks, you won't be able to tell that Wynn's elbow passed through Marie-Thérèse Walter's left forearm.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/061023ta_talk_paumgarten

Whew!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:30 pm
the Picasso in question -

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20061018/2006_10_18t100338_333x450_us_picasso_1.jpg

yahoo's source - d.ying.com
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:33 pm
What a fool.

I wouldn't pay more than $110 million for that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:37 pm
(My thread post is misleading, as the painting was being purchased by Steven Cohen.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:40 pm
More from Ephron:

Quote:
and that if you looked at it carefully (which I did, for the first time, although I'd seen it before at the Bellagio) you could see that the head of Marie-Therese was divided in two sections and that one of them was a penis. This was not a good moment for me vis a vis the painting. In fact, I would have to say that it made me pretty much think I wouldn't pay five dollars for it.

I never noticed! (Pretty obvious once you look for it tho...)

Quote:
At the same time I was holding my digital camera in my hand - I'd just taken several pictures of the Picasso - and I wanted to take a picture of the Picasso with the hole in it so badly that my camera was literally quivering. But I didn't see how I could take a picture - it seemed to me I'd witnessed a tragedy, and what's more, that my flash would go off if I did and give me away.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:52 pm
Nora Ephron, on the occasion, as written in Huffingtonpost.com -

LINK
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:54 pm
it seems that barbara wolters was present when the 'mishap' took place .
she told the viewers of "the view" that wynn '...uttered a four letter swearword' when it happened .
and all for a measly $140 millions ?
i understand that the buyer is no longer interested - i thought it might increase in value ; like "see , that rip was caused by steve wynn , that's worth an extra ten" .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:57 pm
(didn't see your post, Soz, when I gave the link. I was probably reading Ephron at the time..)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:51 pm
Aha, here's how it is supposed they'll fix the painting -

link from Slate on fixing the painting
0 Replies