Rape Indictment for Israeli President

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:09 am
It just hasn't been a good couple of months over in Israel.

Quote:
Indictment drafted for Israeli president: media
Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 AM ET

By Allyn Fisher-Ilan

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prosecutors have begun to draft a charge sheet against Israeli President Moshe Katsav after police said they had evidence he committed rape, Israeli media reported on Tuesday.

Army Radio reported that the state attorney-general, Menachem Mazuz, is likely to decide within two weeks to press charges against Katsav, who is under growing pressure to resign over the scandal involving female employees.

The report, published also by the Haaretz newspaper, said Jerusalem prosecutors were drafting a charge sheet after police said Sunday they had evidence Katsav had "carried out sex crimes of rape, sexual molestation by force and without consent."

Justice Ministry spokesman Moshe Cohen said he had no comment.

Katsav, 60, whose ceremonial position is widely seen as a unifying force in a country of deep political divides, has denied any wrongdoing and said he is the victim of a "public lynching without trial".

His lawyer, Tsion Amir, said the president would resign his post if an indictment is brought against him.

"If the attorney general decides, heaven forbid, there is room for an indictment, the president would not stay on for a moment," Amir said in remarks broadcast by the radio.

RESIGNATION URGED

Katsav is the highest ranking Israeli politician ever suspected of sex crimes. He could face up to 16 years in prison if he was tried and found guilty of rape.

Israeli politicians have urged him to resign or suspend himself. Katsav stayed away from a ceremonial opening of parliament's winter session on Monday.

"I hope very much that this saga shall be over soon," Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni told Army Radio.

"It is now on the attorney general's table. He must make a decision ... (because) every day that passes is a blow to the institution (of the presidency)," she said.

Israeli newspapers said competition for who would succeed Katsav was heating up.

Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres, a Nobel peace laureate, was a candidate to replace Katsav, though it was unclear whether he would agree to run. Katsav defeated Peres in an upset election when he was chosen by parliament in 2000.

Another name mentioned as a possible candidate is former cabinet minister Natan Sharansky, a former Soviet dissident whose aide has said would soon resign his parliament seat with the rightist Likud party for full time research.

Reuters

Anyone know more about this situation?

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 472 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:15 am
Re: Rape Indictment for Israeli President
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Anyone know more about this situation?

Cycloptichorn

The story has been on since weeks. And that such happens - charges against Katsav - was already speculated last weekend, when the police finished their investigations.

I suppose, your source sums all up nicely.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:16 am
Yeah, I have seen allegations in the past few weeks, but this is the first word I've seen that charges are going to be filed.

How important is the office of President in Israel? I gather, not as important as it is here, but I don't really know.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:20 am
Besides in France and the USA (and perhaps Switzerland), we don't have many presidents with such powers.

The Israelian president is more or less a reprentative position - see here - like in Germany, Austria or elsewhere.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:25 am
Another stained, blue dress?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:17 pm
Seems like lots of accusations with no substance, so as of now, I'd consider this a political ploy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Seems like lots of accusations with no substance, so as of now, I'd consider this a political ploy.

Question
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:53 am
Where's the (kosher) beef?
0 Replies