Mothering as an Intellectual Pursuit

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
One thing I always really feared about being a stay-at-home mom was feeling the little grey cells go *pop* as they died gory little cellular deaths from lack of usage. Diapers, Cheerios, bandaids -- yeah, scintillating. Rolling Eyes

I just got back from a week at a family gathering, about 15 people staying in a 4-bedroom house. (And about 15 more at nearby hotels, all converging on the house for meals.) Upon our return, I flopped into a chair and said, "Finally, I can stop thinking!"

I was just constantly plotting and planning when we were there. She [2.5 yr old daughter] didn't get enough sleep, so she needs to have a lot of exercise for an hour, then have some milk and a non-chocolate cookie, and then I will go up to the room and close all the shades and try for a nap. Oh, wait, Amy and everyone will be coming back from their expedition to the Bargain Center right about then, and that will be loud. So I guess I will have to stretch the exercise part out. But if she is still awake when they come home she will want to play with Amy -- can I try to make it earlier, so she is already in the deepest phase of sleep when they get home? And then she will have more time to play with them when she wakes up, too. But that's risky, because it will be before she is really sleepy, and so she may not fall asleep in time, and then if she gets too close to falling asleep without, actually, falling asleep, it will be much much harder to get her to go to sleep later, and a late nap will push back her bedtime, and we have to leave for the picnic pretty early tomorrow and she HAS to get enough sleep overnight or she'll be a total grumpy-pants. Hmmm. Oh! I know! A car! If she doesn't fall asleep by say half an hour before they're due home, I'll drive her around, and that should get her to sleep no matter what, without worrying about noise. Whose car can we borrow? Brian's out, Amy's out, maybe Grandma's car... I have to ask her. That also means we have to get the carseat out of David's car before they leave...

CONSTANTLY. For 5 days. And that's just for one nap -- there was also bedtime, and balancing exercise with playing and not getting overwhelmed, etc., etc. Everyone was just AMAZED at how wonderful and sweet and friendly she was -- "I've never seen her grumpy!" -- and that was fun. I also felt like saying, "Ya think that just happens?"

She is a sweetheart, though. http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/otn/love/luvlove.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 7
No top replies

patiodog

Um, yeah. I'll enjoy what freedom I've got.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Soz- The thing about mothering, is that it is done by both intelligent women and dullards. GOOD, effective, productive mothering requires a lot of thought and planning, and you surely know. Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:09 pm
Your family gathering description omitted the nitwits who want to rough house before bedtime.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 03:04 pm
And the nitwits who insist that a drink of Dr Pepper or Coke in her sippy cup is perfectly okay and won't compromise her nutrition. (Geez, I had relatives that wanted to put it in a bottle for mine when he was less than a year old! Grrrrrr....)

Or, how about the nitwits who refuse to allow you to put dangerous objects out of reach, saying, "She needs to learn not to touch things when you say 'no'..." Never mind that you're only gonna be there for a few hours, and you'd like to talk to a few people during that time.

I could go on and on...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:07 pm
Noddy and Eva (nice new name! glad you'll be stickin' around Smile), yeah, there was some of that. This branch of the family is actually very cool, though, and I felt able to say "Nuh-uh, no way, ain't happening" and trust that they wouldn't, in fact, do it. That was nice.

There was also a minimum of "she needs to..." MIL tried it maybe twice at the beginning, got patented Glare of Death from yours truly, and backed off but quick. And even she was really nice by the end, asking for my secret about how I get the sozlet to eat so well (she will eat pretty much anything put in front of her, while MIL's kids -- hubby plus 3 siblings -- were incredibly picky), and giving my parenting an A+. Which was minorly annoying -- did I ask her to grade my parenting? -- but I took it in the spirit in which it was given.

Overall the gathering went about 50 times better than I had hoped, and I really did have a good time. Just exhausting. Shocked
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:40 pm
I may have already posted this somewhere, but my mother once told me that raising her three children was more challenging for her than earning a doctor's degree. She's more proud of it too. And, having earned a doctor's degree in chemistry, she ought to know.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
Very Happy I don't think I've seen that before. Cool!

It's sad how undervalued mothering is, even (especially?) by feminists. Obviously, we don't want to go back to the days when a woman didn't have choices, but I've run into so many permutations of, "Yes, I know you're a stay-at-home mom, but are you doing anything?" Consulting, making art, working -- that's valid. Confused (Not suggesting this is universal, at all, but have certainly seen a lot of it.)
0 Replies