Will I regret this in a couple months?

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:39 am
I've been freelancing at a pharmaceutical ad agency for the past two months. I don't really like it that much, although it's a tolerable job option in a pinch. Anyhoo, next friday was supposed to be the last official day of this job assignment, but yesterday they told us (I and a co-worker from the same emploment agency) that we are getting picked up for another two months, until the end of the year.

The problem is, I was planning on taking some time off after this assignment ends. I already postponed a trip to California two months ago, and although I don't plan on going anywhere or doing anything too special now, I was really, REALLY looking forward to some time off.

So, even though I'm worried that I won't find work again for a while, and that I'm throwing away a good two-month chunk of money here, I'm going to tell them that I need the next two weeks off, because I had already had it planned, but that if they still want me after that, I would be more than happy to come back and stay until the end of the year.

What will they say? Will they still want me, or will they turn me loose? Will I find another job, or will I end up jobless and penniless, and have to buy all my christmas gifts in the check-out line at Wal-Mart?

Stay tuned.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:49 am
Well, that's what you're freelancing for, innit? To have some control? Good luck!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:58 am
Im with Osso....

I picked what I do simply because I can control my schedule , and work only when I want to.

If you have at least 2 months worth of bills saved up to where you can take some time to find work when you have none, then get off yer ass and get on that plane.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:02 am
Have you been banging your boss again? The one with crabs?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:50 am
With where you live, I'm betting the agency will have plenty of work for you when you're ready..maybe sign up with another agency (if there's anotherone that specializes in what you do) as a backup.

take the time off.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:54 am
Nobody's last words were ever "I wish I'd spent more time at work." At least nobody in their right mind.

Take the time off.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Nobody's last words were ever "I wish I'd spent more time at work." At least nobody in their right mind.

Take the time off.

True, true....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:07 am
On the practical side (that's very funny, coming from me!), how's your bank balance looking? Would a couple of month's extra pay help you survive Christmas a bit more comfortably? If so, & if early in a new year is not a good time for employment prospects in your line of work, maybe consider postponing your trip for a couple of months? On the other hand, if you can't bear to be there a minute longer .....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:13 am
cjhsa wrote:
Have you been banging your boss again? The one with crabs?

No, actually that was the one with herpes and a harelip, but thanks for asking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So they seem to have gone for it. I have two weeks off starting after next friday. And I even asked them if I could work an 11-7 shift starting next friday (this early morning **** is killing me), and they went for that too. Plus, that gives me some time in the mornings to go on interviews if I change my mind sometime before the end of the new year.

I really wouldn't have minded if they'd just told me to pack up and go though, because I think finding a job in January is going to be harder than finding one now. But this works too.

I am the master of all I survey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:16 am
Very good..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:56 pm
WOW!

way to go kicky!

you got it all. They were putty in your hands.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
I'm feeling really good about this right now. This really helps my confidence. I was worried.

And looking back, I was probably right to be. Me pushing for a two-week vacation AND a shift change...that was a bit of a ballsy move, considering how shaky I was when I first started here. This was my first serious production job in over six years, and damn was I rusty. The first two weeks, I really had myself prepared for them to get rid of me at any moment. It just seemed like I couldn't do anything right.

And did I tell you about my boss, Mr. Bojangles? Yeah, "Mr. Bojangles." Let's call him that.

Mr. Bojangles, also known as head of production, a loud, exuberant, excessively hairy latino guy in maybe his early forties, sits right behind me all day, making jokes, singing, humming, dancing, doing drum noises, and giving lectures on work, relationships, or whatever the hell else he feels like, all while being a really tough boss. Mr. Bojangles likes to look over your shoulder while you work. Mr. Bojangles likes to make sure you do things "right." Mr. Bojangles annoys the **** out of me, and for the past few weeks I felt like he was on my ass every minute. What a ballbreaker this guy is.

Oh, and did I mention my co-worker, Chrissy? Yeah, "Chrissy." Let's call her that.

I also had the misfortune of starting about two days after this fairly hot girl who had just moved here from Florida. Chrissy. Yeah, I know, you would think it would be a good thing to be sitting right behind the hot new girl, and in some ways, it has been, but mostly, it has just meant that in addition to micro-managing my every move, Mr. Bojangles has also been flirting with Chrissy all day long, even though she is half his age. He'd yell at me a little, then he'd go over and give her a quick little three-second shoulder massage (okay, that only happened once, but still...a pretty bold, and probably inappropriate move in today's workplace), and make some crack about how I'd messed up again. Now, how the hell am I supposed to compete with the fairly hot, new-to-the-city Florida babe?

But ****, right now, it seems like it all turned out alright. I'm not certain that I'll have this job when I get back from my two-weeks off (I'm such a paranoid freak), but today, I feel good. Today, Mr. Bojangles actually said to me after checking a job I had done, "Good job."

**** yeah.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:47 pm
Could be worse, kicky - at least Bojangles is flirting with the new chick, not with you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:31 pm
awww....don't be so hard on yourself...

Mr. B. sounds like the type that if eveythings ok, he doesn't say anything, but let's you know if it wrong....as least as far as guys or non-hot chicks go.

Yeah you were rusty, but you picked it back up. I'll bet you're better than you think you are.

Usually I think I'm about as smart and/or talented as anyone else, but then, when I faced with the reality of how slip shod other people take their work, I realize I'm a freaking genius.

BTW, my husband went to visit family this week, and I decided to take the week off and veg. I haven't done much of anything, as far as what people think about when they hear "vacation" but I am having the time of my life. I stay up until 1am, sleep until 10am....one of the days I didn't even comb my hair, I wore yoga pants and my "phuck you if you can't take a joke" t-shirt didn't even leave the house.

I hope you have as good a time.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:14 am
So...where you goin', kicky?
0 Replies