Hastert Land Deal Questioned

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:37 pm
Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'accepting things of value.' Entering into a business partnership that turns a profit in the end, with no illegal actions taken during the course of the partnership, isn't a gift, it is a business deal. Reid didn't recieve any compensation for the deal until it was done, and then no more so than an average investor at the time would have received (I do believe that Parados pointed out in the Reid thread that other investors saw far higher returns in the same area, at the same time).

Are Senators prohibited from doing everyday, normal business deals? I'm not sure where they are prohibited from doing so. Can you show me where they are prohibited from doing so?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, since there isn't currently any evidence that Reid 'sold' political favors for money OR promised future political favors in return for the deal, how can you say his actions in this case are either unethical or immoral?

He accepted favors from his friend and business partner. That's unethical even if he hasn't yet returned the favor he'd received. Notice the parallel to federal bribery laws, which make it illegal to accept anything of value, whether or not you have given back anything of value.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:42 pm
Entering a business arrangement with someone - one which is legal, and you invested money in - constitutes a favor?

Is my bank doing me a favor by holding my money? Is my stockbroker currently doing me favors?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:43 pm
How can public officials conduct any profitable transaction whatsoever, if entering into a business partnership of any kind where they are involved constitutes doing them a favor?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Are Senators prohibited from doing everyday, normal business deals?

Mr. Brown, known as an old friend of Nevada senator Mr. Reid, shows up at a Nevada zoning board. He lobbies the board to increase the value of the senator's property by rezoning it. In the end the zoning board complies, over the objections of the carreer officials on it. That's not an everyday, normal business deal. You wouldn't categorize it as everyday and normal if a Republican did it. The only reason you pretend it's normal and everyday here is because you're a Democrat and Mr. Reid is, too.

And with that, I suggest we agree to disagree. This is beginning to get repetitive.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:50 pm
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Are Senators prohibited from doing everyday, normal business deals?

Mr. Brown, known as an old friend of a Nevada senator, shows up in a zoning official's bureau in Nevada. He lobbies the zoning board to increase the value of the senator's property by rezoning it. In the end the zoning board complies, over the objection of the carreer officials on the board. That's not an everyday, normal business deal. You wouldn't categorize it as everyday and normal if a Republican did it. The only reason you pretend it's normal and everyday here is because you're a Democrat and Mr. Reid is, too.

And with that, I suggest we agree to disagree. This is beginning to get repetitive.

Oh, stop. There is a level of evidence that has to be present in order to alledge that someone committed unethical or immoral acts. There is no such evidence in this case. Don't bring partisanship into it, because trust me, if Reid is found to have done anything wrong(other than failing to file the right paperwork), you'll see me calling for his head. As I said before, I hope it is investigated by the ethics committee to find out the truth of the matter. What more can I say? I haven't seen any evidence at all that Reid did anything wrong, and I don't see any reason to alledge that he did without said evidence.

It doesn't do any good to get rid of Republican crooks and replace them with Democratic crooks. It doesn't help me in any way. I'm not so partisan as to want that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:11 am
Re: Hastert Land Deal Questioned
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Given the newly-found interest that many of our Republican friends have shown in land deals around the country involving elected representatives, I thought I would share this story I found about Hastert:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/22/politics/printable1740900.shtml

Well hello cyclops, I got around to reading your post here on Hastert. I see you are still defending Reid here too.

If I am reading it correctly, Hastert bought property and then sold it at a nice profit. The question of impropriety can be boiled down to one question. Did the highway voted through by Congress significantly increase the value of his land or was it pretty much unaffected because it was 3 to 5 miles away from the highway, as Hastert and his defenders claim. Perhaps I did not read it if the evidence has been forwarded here, but somebody, such as real estate appraisers in the area could answer that question? If the value is not affected much if any, then Hastert is innocent. If it has been significant, then Hastert has some explainin to do.

As I see it, Reid has been more involved in things happening with his land deals, like land exchanges, zoning changes, strange transactions with buddies like Brown, and other companies that he may have connections with. In Hastert's case, only the highway question of whether it increased his land value as I outlined in the above.

Cyclops, I think you need to take a step back and try to be a bit more objective here when you evaluate these guys.

To explain my thoughts on Hastert further, I am not a fan of his, as I do not think he is an effective Speaker of the House for the Republican or conservative agenda. However, I think so far he is a fairly decent guy, but I would need more information concerning land values changes per the highway to judge this case. I really do not know that much about Hastert.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:26 am
By the way, Cyclops, I think Thomas argument is pretty sound. Unless someone can show Hastert's land value increased much because of the highway, it looks to me like he did little wrong except not reporting the transactions under the trust instead of personally, as he apparently did. Not so easy for Reid. There are many many things involved with that property, including the arm twisting involved with rezoning, the land trades, shady partner, what else we don't know yet.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:50 am
okie wrote:
By the way, Cyclops, I think Thomas argument is pretty sound. Unless someone can show Hastert's land value increased much because of the highway, it looks to me like he did little wrong except not reporting the transactions under the trust instead of personally, as he apparently did. Not so easy for Reid. There are many many things involved with that property, including the arm twisting involved with rezoning, the land trades, shady partner, what else we don't know yet.

You can't possibly be serious, with such a post.

To begin,

Quote:

The Foundation says Hastert used an Illinois trust to invest in real estate near the proposed route of the Prairie Parkway, and notes that Hastert's 2005 financial disclosure form, released Thursday, makes no mention of the trust. Hastert lists several real estate transactions in the disclosure, all of which were done by the trust. Kendall County public records show no record of Hastert making the real estate sales he made public today; rather, they were all executed by the trust, the Foundation says.

However, Hastert disclosed the transactions on the annual personal financial statements members of Congress are required to file, the Chicago Sun Times reports. But Hastert did not take the extra steps called for in the House Ethics Manual and volunteer that he held land in a secret land trust called "Little Rock Trust," the newspaper says.

Hastert's land DID increase in value because of the highway. Hastert DID push the earmark through to make the highway. He DID fail to report his land was in a 'secret trust.' Not just an LLC, but a 'secret trust.' At this point, he is at least as guilty as Reid of failing to follow proper reporting procdure.

And what's worse, the land increased in value because of direct action that we know Hastert took. He pushed through the highway earmark next to land he owned. There isn't even a question of this.

Contrast this to Reid: what did he do, exactly?

You haven't shown any evidence that he had anything at all to do with re-zoning the land. There aren't any articles showing this, or credible allegations that he used his influence to get it done.

Also, I'm not sure why you call Reid's partner 'shady.' What evidence have you seen that he is, in fact, Shady, and not just a businessman like all the others you Republicans defend from time to time in conversation? What illegal actions did he take?

You have nothing, no evidence, no proof. Just a form filed incorrectly. I think you need to admit that your partisanship is causing you to think there is a stronger case against Reid than Hastert, because on Reid's side, we have no evidence showing he did anything at all to increase the value of his land; on Hastert's side, there is some evidence that he did do something to increase the value of his land. It isn't hard to figure out which argument is more persuasive.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

You can't possibly be serious, with such a post.

To begin,

Quote:

The Foundation says Hastert used an Illinois trust to invest in real estate near the proposed route of the Prairie Parkway, and notes that Hastert's 2005 financial disclosure form, released Thursday, makes no mention of the trust. Hastert lists several real estate transactions in the disclosure, all of which were done by the trust. Kendall County public records show no record of Hastert making the real estate sales he made public today; rather, they were all executed by the trust, the Foundation says.

However, Hastert disclosed the transactions on the annual personal financial statements members of Congress are required to file, the Chicago Sun Times reports. But Hastert did not take the extra steps called for in the House Ethics Manual and volunteer that he held land in a secret land trust called "Little Rock Trust," the newspaper says.

Hastert's land DID increase in value because of the highway. Hastert DID push the earmark through to make the highway. He DID fail to report his land was in a 'secret trust.' Not just an LLC, but a 'secret trust.' At this point, he is at least as guilty as Reid of failing to follow proper reporting procdure.

How do you know it increased because of the highway? Any evidence at all? This is why I said this is what it boils down to. Having lived in cities and suburbs myself, 5 miles is a long way from a highway, so I do not think any increase can be attributed to the highway without experts appraisers providing evidence that it did. If you can provide it, cyclops, then fine, but so far I haven't seen any.

The other issue involving the trust, you are correct, he should have reported it as a trust, however this is more benign in my opinion than entering into a partnership. Many older people simply place their properties into a trust to avoid probate, but they are still the owners. There really is no change in ownership as compared to entering into a partnership, which clearly changes the ownerships status of a property. Lawyers, correct me if I am wrong, but this is my impression from observation of situations.

Quote:
And what's worse, the land increased in value because of direct action that we know Hastert took. He pushed through the highway earmark next to land he owned. There isn't even a question of this.

Contrast this to Reid: what did he do, exactly?

I've seen no evidence the land increased because of anything Hastert did.

Quote:
You haven't shown any evidence that he had anything at all to do with re-zoning the land. There aren't any articles showing this, or credible allegations that he used his influence to get it done.

Reid's partner, Brown, was directily involved with getting the land rezoned, contrary to what the zoning people originally wanted. This is what Thomas is talking about, cyclops, Brown provided favors to Reid by armtwisting the zoning to benefit his buddy, Reid. Not only that, if Reid was privy to knowledge of land trades that helped decide to buy the land, then that is akin to insider trading. Very crooked, cyclops, inside traders go to prison.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure why you call Reid's partner 'shady.' What evidence have you seen that he is, in fact, Shady, and not just a businessman like all the others you Republicans defend from time to time in conversation? What illegal actions did he take?

He has a history of working with gambling interests, who have had legal troubles in the past. Its spelled, M A F I A, cyclops. Obviously I have no proof, just a suspicion, but I think not without historical reasoning.

Quote:
You have nothing, no evidence, no proof. Just a form filed incorrectly. I think you need to admit that your partisanship is causing you to think there is a stronger case against Reid than Hastert, because on Reid's side, we have no evidence showing he did anything at all to increase the value of his land; on Hastert's side, there is some evidence that he did do something to increase the value of his land. It isn't hard to figure out which argument is more persuasive.

Cycloptichorn

The rezoning and land trades both entered into the scenario in Nevada, cyclops. Hastert simply bought land around his farm, then sold it, with no convoluted dealings with other wheeler dealers, land trades, rezoning, etc. and unless the highway can be shown to have definitely increased the values, he did nothing wrong except for the technicality of reporting. Reid's technicality, to repeat, I think is more serious because it involves a transaction rather than simply the legal status of his ownership from personal to a trust. In Hastert's case, no transaction occurred, if I am interpreting this correctly.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:41 am
Hastert, Reynolds Using "Scheduling Excuses" To Get Out Of Campaigning In Wake Of Foley Scandal...
TPMuckraker | Paul Kiel | October 17, 2006 at 12:14 AM

Shortly after the Mark Foley scandal blew up, Speaker Dennis Hastert boasted to Rush Limbaugh that there was no knocking him off stride -- he was planning to campaign in thirty different districts in the month preceding the election.

It's not happening.

The cancellations are frequent but quiet, so it's been nearly impossible to keep track of them all. The Washington Post last week put at 12 the growing tally of scrubbed events that were to feature Hastert or another scandal-tarnished figure, NRCC chair Rep. Tom Reynolds (R-NY).
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001805.php
0 Replies