Only Answer for Deer is Licensed Hunting

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 09:05 am
The only dumbasses here are the ones who think they know everything and refuse to field questions.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
cjhsa wrote:
The only dumbasses here are the ones who think they know everything and refuse to field questions.

So, what is your question, cjhsa?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:04 am
Aw, I could see that one coming. Couldnt you see that one coming? I guess now the thread degenerates into name calling with deer recipes thrown in.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:26 am
farmerman wrote:
Aw, I could see that one coming. Couldnt you see that one coming? I guess now the thread degenerates into name calling with deer recipes thrown in.

Ah, you just wanted to do it yourself. Didn't ya, huh? Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:36 am
Where are the recipes?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:39 am
Crockpot Venison

1 pound venison -- cut into small chunks with fat removed
1 can beefy mushroom soup
1 can beef noodle soup
8 ounces fresh or canned mushroom pieces
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste
Garlic powder -- to taste
Worcestershire sauce

Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and sear venison to seal its juices. Add venison and remaining ingredients to crock pot. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce or any other favorite spices. Cook in crock pot on LOW for four to five hours. Tastes great served over rice.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 01:31 pm
Can you vouch for this recipe, Intrepid? I'm heading north tomorrow and my neighbour will be out bow hunting. Who knows? If he gets lucky I might get venison. (As far as I know his eyesight's okay but I'll be traipsing back and forth to the privy in dayglow safety vest anyway.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 02:12 pm
marinating the venison overnight will likely result in more flavourful and tender meat .
use buttermilk , red wine , apple cider or a light vinegar/spice marinade ,
you won't regret it .
hbg

...VENISON MARINADE...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 02:17 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Can you vouch for this recipe, Intrepid? I'm heading north tomorrow and my neighbour will be out bow hunting. Who knows? If he gets lucky I might get venison. (As far as I know his eyesight's okay but I'll be traipsing back and forth to the privy in dayglow safety vest anyway.)

I'm quite sure that hunting over the privy is against the Royal and Ancient Rules of Bowhunting.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 02:19 pm
At least bow hunters seldom take "sound shots". Those arrows cost money, you know.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 02:45 pm
Intrepids recipe instructions
Quote:
Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and sear venison to seal its juices. Add venison and remaining ingredients to crock pot. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce or any other favorite spices. Cook in crock pot on LOW for four to five hours. Tastes great served over rice.

Additional notes

When done, take out deermeat and feed to the dogs. Serve the gravy over a nice piece of less tender beef cut , such as London broil.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:01 pm
farmerman wrote:
Intrepids recipe instructions
Quote:

Additional notes

When done, take out deermeat and feed to the dogs. Serve the gravy over a nice piece of less tender beef cut , such as London broil.

Very Happy My one and only previous experience with cooking venison was a disaster. I went to the library, lugged home umpteen cookbooks, and followed the "winning" recipe carefully. The result was inedible.

Hope springs eternal though, and the combination of marinating (thanks Hamburger) and slow cooking (thanks Intrepid) sounds like it has promise. Unfortunately I do not have a dog (yet; the cat is 16 1/2 years old, surely to God her days are numbered...)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:58 pm
My brother's wife cooked some deer steaks up into swiss steaks in a crock pot last fall and everybody there claimed it was the best meal they'd had that year.

What I do with ground venison is to simply brown it and mix it with Goya curried rice which you buy in the Mexican section of the supermarket, and that turns out to be quite good.

As to distances, most bowshots at deer are at does and 30 ore 35 yards is aout the outside limit since you're basically aiming at a baseball sized target. The longest shot most people would take at a whitetail or muley buck would be about 40 - 50 yards and, basically, at those distances, the chances of hitting a human or mistaking a human for a deer are pretty remote.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:03 pm
gungasnake wrote:

As to distances, most bowshots at deer are at does and 30 ore 35 yards is aout the outside limit since you're basically aiming at a baseball sized target. The longest shot most people would take at a whitetail or muley buck would be about 40 - 50 yards and, basically, at those distances, the chances of hitting a human or mistaking a human for a deer are pretty remote.

Well, that's good to know. Still, if you don't hear from me in a week...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:15 pm
Tai Chi, heads-up for a PM with a link to some venison recipes.

here's a sample

Quote:
Venison Stew

1 pound Venison -- cut into cubes
Juice of 1 orange or grapefruit
4 Potatoes -- peeled quartered
3 Carrots -- cut in chunks
1 Onion -- diced
1 pinch Sweet basil
2 whole Bay leaves
1/2 cup Sour cream -- (optional)
Flour -- as needed
Salt and pepper to taste

Sear venison quickly on high heat, do not completely brown. Place all ingredients in a crock pot, cover with water, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Thicken with sour cream (optional) and flour.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:16 pm
Thanks ehBeth! (I might be getting ahead of myself -- I don't have any venison yet.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:19 pm
Some of the venison recipes can be used with other mmm strong meats - Canada Goose, goat etc - with good results after slight modifications to the spicing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 05:05 pm
I would often order venison at the 301 restaurant in my old home town, Eureka, in northern California. That's a restaurant with one of the most well rated wine cellars in the US. Whatever they did to cook the venison was right by me. I suppose it was something like venison filet mignon. Not tough.

I have an early cookbook by them, but that might have been printed pre-chef. I'll see if I can at least find a menu with a description online.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 05:25 pm
osso said
Quote:
I would often order venison at the 301 restaurant in my old home town, Eureka, in northern California.
Im sure they "harvested" deer on 101. I used to do a lot of work in Arcata
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 05:43 pm
farmerman appears to have found himself a favorite thread.

I am so happy for him.
0 Replies