Only Answer for Deer is Licensed Hunting

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 08:26 am
(((Laughing at Farmerman))) Call this bullshit....

http://www.wildlife-enhancement.ca/usainfo_7.htm

Quote:

By Chuck Adams

P. O. Box 30480

Jackson, WY 8300l

American Hunter Magazine (NRA - National Rifle Association member publication)

http://www.nrahq.org/Default.asp

To submit a Letter to the Editor or comment: [email protected]

Montana resident Geri Ball stood with her fists on her hips and a knot in the pit of her stomach. At her feet were the remains of her prize female llama, entrails and unborn baby scattered across the animal's pen. This 850-pound pregnant pet had been eaten alive by wolves from northwestern Montana's Nine-Mile Pack. The mother llama's screams of pain and fear had sliced through the nightÂ…but too late to save the mortally wounded animal.

Hunting outfitter Bill Hoppe glassed a sweeping vista just north of Yellowstone National Park, his expert eyes searching for elk that have traditionally thrived in Montana Hunting Districts 313 and 317. The only tracks in the fresh snow were those of gray wolves. Hoppe also had a knot in his gut. Nonresident hunting clients were due to arrive tomorrow, and there were no elk to be found.

On the Little North Fork of Idaho's Clearwater River, Bror Borjesson watched helplessly in his flashlight beam as members of the Marble Mountain wolf pack attacked four horses in his hunting camp at 1:30 a.m. Sheena, his pregnant Appaloosa mare, panicked and flipped on the tether rope securely knotted to his horse trailer. Her spine snapped with a sickening crunch.

Bullet, a three-year-old gelding, broke his tether rope and galloped away with Syringa, another pregnant mare. The wolves were close behind, slashing at the horses' heels. The man never saw his prize pair again, and Sheena had to be put down.

A cowboy on the Diamond G Cattle Ranch in Wyoming's Dunoir Valley climbed off his horse and crouched beside a mutilated beef calf. Big, doglike tracks littered the area around the carcass. The young animal's entrails were scattered, the anus ripped out, the hips partly gnawed away. It was a classic wolf kill.

All of these incidents and hundreds more like them have occurred in the West's Tri-State area during the past two years alone. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are under siege by terroristsÂ…and these terrorists are not from the Middle East. Instead, they were deliberately introduced to central Idaho and Yellowstone National Park in 1995 and 1996 with the blessing of the Clinton Administration.

The Feds can't say they weren't warned what might happen. Carl Niemeyer was a member of the federal team that darted and transplanted the original 66 wolves from Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. He says Canadian trappers helping with this project cautioned that fully protected wolves would multiply like hamsters in their new, game-rich environment, spreading like wildfire and killing sheep, cattle, elk, and deer by the thousands.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 08:28 am
it's somewhat similar in eastern ontario .
it seems that people get tired of the little puppy dog who has turned out to be larger than anticipated . so they drive out into the country and release the dog into the wild . i've heard people say : "i let him out near a farm ; he'll probably be taken in by the farmer and can join the other farm dogs " . (see how humane i am , they tell themselves !) .
not infrequently these dogs will join a pack of other (previously 'house trained' ) dogs . they have no fear of human beings .
result : they get into the herds of sheep and start making a meal of them - actually they often seem to get into a killing frezy and rather than wolves , who usually kill to eat , just keep killing the sheep .
btw some farmers around here keep donkeys with their sheep to keep wolves , coyotes and wild dogs at bay .
hbg
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:01 am
I have a pet wolf. The trick is to rub their bellies, they love that.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 04:25 pm
This thread was originally about controlling deer. Dumb question, am I the only one on A2K holding up his end of the thing (i.e. to have put arrows through Bambi or any of his relatives) in the last month or thereabouts, or has anybody else here gotten any?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:55 pm
I didnt say the stories were flat out bullshit. They were "tug at your heart bullshit" Ive been raising sheep for about 25 years (how many years have you been in the business gunga?) The feds and states pay more for a wildlife destroyed calf or sheep than you can usually get from the market. So , of course Id play up the "fang and claw crap" The effort to keep wolves away is a minor thing. Get an issue of the trade mags and youll see that guard dogs are unquestioningly the way to go. Even better than sitting up all night with a 4000fps varmint gun. Wolves, and coyotes as I said , are flat cowards and only will attack when theyre sure they wont get hurt. Any douche bag farmer that doesnt recognize this has bolts in his head and is running a petting zoo and not a business.
The largest killer of sheep is the Canis familiaris, let loose by dog owners who think a night time romp does em good. Ive had catahoulas since day one along with border collies. The catahoulas can run down a "pet dog" and take out a german shepherd with little damage to itself. A pack of em will easily handle a normal pack of wolves or coyotes. Komondoors and Meremas, and Tosa Inus and Great Pyrenees are even better cause theyre not as smart as a catahoula. Theyll stay out in the fileds all night and bond with the herd.

You make too much of the wolf release program. If the people really want protection, they can have it with guard dogs, they dont need to become snipers.

Hamburger--Some of our friends with alpaca and sheep will keep a Sicilian donkey to protect the herd. I wouldnt reccomend that in the west unless you have a small herd. Id use the guard dog for protection.

Also, its quite a pyramid scam to claim sheep mutilations . The best one is buying alpacas at cut rate and then putting them out where coyotes will get them, and then claim 20K an animal for the loss.(The going price for champagne alpaca or guanaco)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 07:03 pm
What about hunting outfitters, hunters, the small farmer, or any other normal sort of person who wants to live away from cities?

You're basically saying that the agribusiness outfit isn't being hurt, and/so let the lefties have their a$$hole wolf release programs if it makes them happy and keeps them off the street, and **** the little guy.

In theory, that sort of thinking makes you a republican.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 07:06 pm
Gotten any what ?gunga.

Controlling deer by hunting is kind of a silly topic. Are there people out there against it? why? I dont like deer meat but I sure dont want to stop anybody from hunting them .
Id rather hunt a moose but Im dead set against the "union guide" system that is in effect in Maine. In Pa we let people on their own, and they recognize that, if theyre not in shape and walk too far, they can die of heart attacks. (we have afew of them yearly). Why not let the hunters in Maine go hunt deer bear and moose without this forced system of payola to a bunch of licensed guides who, IMHO, have no special skills other than knowing the map of one piece of real estate.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 07:41 pm
You're claiming that I'm going on guided hunts in the DC/Baltimore suburbs??

You've got some sort of a directory listing for hunting outfitters in DC and Baltimore?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:16 pm
Looking at pictures of komondors...

Is it the case that a wolf simply can't bite through the thing's fur?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images/komondor.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 06:44 am
gungasnake wrote:
This thread was originally about controlling deer. Dumb question, am I the only one on A2K holding up his end of the thing (i.e. to have put arrows through Bambi or any of his relatives) in the last month or thereabouts, or has anybody else here gotten any?

I don't bowhunt or own a muzzle loader, so I'm waiting for Nov. 15, firearms deer opener. I'd really like to learn to bowhunt, but currently I don't have the time to dedicate to it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:00 am
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:
The sheep that survived were huddled together and terrified - some are still stricken with fear today,

We're talking sheep, right? How could one tell?

Although it does bear a striking resemblance to a large bloc of voters in the US.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:22 am
gunga
Quote:
The sheep that survived were huddled together and terrified - some are still stricken with fear today,
Im not sure but I think that the US Dept of Ag has sheep "crisis counsellors" available whenever such trauma is inflicted to the sheeps immediate flock.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 12:44 pm
You didn't answer my question there, farmerman. Is it actually the case that a wolf can't bite through a komondor's fur and is that the basic idea of what the dog looks like?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:08 pm
For the terminally lazy. Doesn't take much more effort than getting a pic.

komondor
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:25 pm
uh, Intrepid, Gunga already posted the same pic a page back.
Gunga, Most komondors that Ive seen were all clipped a bit more so that they didnt get to be a scraggy mess. The full dreds are used for show dogs. I understand that to get them looking good takes a mountain of work and a hairdresser.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:30 pm
I knew a komondor in the Santa Cruz mountains in CA. It's very muddy up there, and he lived with four horses.

He wasn't clipped.

The smell was unbelievable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:35 pm
those kind ya just put in the back of a pickup and drive down to the carwash. They love it. Like wshing a felted shag rug
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:45 pm
farmerman wrote:
uh, Intrepid, Gunga already posted the same pic a page back.
Gunga, Most komondors that Ive seen were all clipped a bit more so that they didnt get to be a scraggy mess. The full dreds are used for show dogs. I understand that to get them looking good takes a mountain of work and a hairdresser.

Yes I know. My point was that if he could take the time to find the pic, he could find the info at the same time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 05:29 am
Apparenty asking a question at A2K is no longer acceptable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:04 am
Questions are fine. Being a perpetual dumbass is frowned upon, however.
0 Replies