• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,519 • Replies: 104
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:32 am
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:41 am
For the record, I don't mind hunting to cull wild deer populations.

I mind that hunting and development has to do with why they're so out of control -- that their natural predators like wolves aren't able to do what they've done forever.

Man caused the problem by getting rid of natural predators, and now has to do something about it.

When hunting has a legitimate reason, I'm fine with it.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:44 am
Okay, go kill some deer. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:45 am
The problem with that Soz is that wolves aren't really as selective as they are opportunistic. Coyotes have more than filled the gap where wolves have been eliminated, but they cannot bring down larger game.

Nobody really wants wolves in their backyard. Some will say they are fine with it until their livestock is threatened and Fluffy disappears.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:34 am
That's why I said "and development." The problem is also that people have been building houses in the wolves' territory, so of course there will be wolves in their backyard. I'd prefer that they not build their houses in the former wilderness in the first place.

But hunting (historically) is definitely a big part of why wolves' numbers are so low.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:43 pm
It's all about management and finding equilibrium.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:16 pm
Sure. I'm just saying that the fact that the environment as a whole can CURRENTLY benefit from (human) hunters culling wild deer herds does not translate to yay for hunting, since hunting is a huge part of why we're in this situation in the first place.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:18 pm
Not for over 100 years has it been a problem - what we have now is a lack of hunters.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:34 pm
"Nobody really wants wolves in their backyard. Some will say they are fine with it until their livestock is threatened and Fluffy disappears. "

seems to me there are more problems with hunters shooting others than there are with wolves eating "fluffy" .
"fluffy" can be kept inside if necessary but hunters can't .
perhaps you'll need dick cheney to control the deer problem Question

to be serious , there seems to be an over-supply of deer in many areas of the U.S. and canada . so hunting would seem to be necessary - and i've eaten my share of deer meat given us by a friend .
perhaps hunting and increased wolf population could together help stabilize the deer population .
in some areas of canada deer have started to suffer from "wasting disease" ; i understand that it is more prevalent when too many deer are in close proximity , though the disease is actually spread by biting insects .

hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:48 pm
Way too many deer here in the southern half of Michigan, where all the people are. They love it here - lots of crops to munch on, roads to cross....

Last year some woman in a minivan hit 10 deer at once. Ten!! The cops had to shoot several of them (deer) that weren't killed by the impact.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 02:27 pm
Admit it, though, it's not the "only option."

Here in Texas, they've moved into the residential areas, 'cause they can't be hunted there.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 03:49 pm
If you could make deer meat even closely palatable, Id hunt one down. In Pa they ought to increase the bag limit, but the Game Commission is certain that the herd is dwindling. Weve had our first cases of CWD and that portends a possible dwindling of the herd until some natural immunity gets evolved into the herds.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 04:19 pm
Venison fajitas and venison chili ain't bad.

Sausage can be good, too, if you find someone with the right recipe.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 04:39 pm
mrs h marinates the venison meat in buttermilk for 24 hours , wraps it in bacon and slowly braises it in the oven - very tender and flavourful !
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:12 pm
One of the problems with "Hill country " deer is that they eat laurel leaves and acorns. This imparts a tannin flavr to the meat which many people taste (Im one). Ive had farm raised deer that eat alfalfa, they dont taste too bad but their textures are kinda mealy if harvested too old. The very thing that hunters shoot a deer for (a big rack) is what makes the meat taste funky.

The best way to eat deer is to make "deerbasi", Its a garlicky bologna with veal and pork (ya needs some fat and deer is too lean)
Ive had deebasi that was made into loaves like kishka or krakowska, or it can be made the size like slim jims that are called Kabanosi. When this is double smoked its awesome.

I used to let some hunters on my land, but right now I only let the Amish hunt on my land with bows.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
The thing that pisses me off about all these deer being hit by cars is the fact that it should almost never happen. You can't blame the deer, but rather the idiotic, unobservant, cell-phone talking, speeding drivers.

I live in an area where driving down the roads at night is like running an obstacle course. Deer, raccoons, possum, skunk, coyote, rabbits, an occasional mink (very rare), and a plethora of other critters of the forest -- are constantly navigating the roadways.

But you know what? I DON'T HIT THEM!

Because I know they are out there and I have come up with this novel idea: I WATCH FOR THEM!

I'm with the animals on this issue. I only wish we could give them massive steel structures that are capable of exceeding 100 miles per hour, put them comfortably behind the steering wheels, wedge their hooves or paws on the accelerator, and turn the beasts loose in the city.

Watch the humans look up with blank stares as a crazed raccoon nails them at seventy miles per hour. SPLAT! There goes the fat accountant.

Look over there! A possum in a pick up truck just took out three lawyers. Nothing left but flattened suits.

Oh, man, I would love to see such a spectacle.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:51 pm
Gustav -- you're a man after my own heart. (Not something I ever thought I'd say.) Just because a fool has a big pickup or SUV and isn't worried about their own safety is no reason to drive like a maniac. We've seen deer a plenty, foxes, rabbits, raccoons, porcupines, you name it near our property and prefer to see them live rather than flattened on our front grill. Why live in beautiful country if you're not going to slow down and look around?

Farmerman -- we know where we can get some farmed red deer meat. Given that it's pastured do you suppose it would be tasty?

PS Gustav -- I can get you that porcupine poop compost next week if you're still interested. Let me know.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:56 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I live in an area where driving down the roads at night is like running an obstacle course. Deer, raccoons, possum, skunk, coyote, rabbits, an occasional mink (very rare), and a plethora of other critters of the forest -- are constantly navigating the roadways.

But you know what? I DON'T HIT THEM!

Because I know they are out there and I have come up with this novel idea: I WATCH FOR THEM!

Amen, brother.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:02 pm
Hell, Ive seen der run into the sides of cars where the driver was NOT talking on the cell phone. The worst is when somebody whacks a moose. There are usually fatalities when that happens and I must admit , that I feel almost ashamed to ask for the moose carcass when the bodies arent even cold.

Gus why are you collecting porcupine crap?

Tai chi--youre not chai tea in anagram form are you? Ive never eaten red deer and Ill try anything once. I cant say that I dont like something lest I eat it. for a cooked meal.

Like, antelope is delicious, it isnt mealy and its flavor is terrific.
0 Replies