How to conduct a war unsuccessfully

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 04:31 pm
Have a coterie of war dodgers run the war. Have Congress full of Chickenhawks who in their time dodged their war and refuse to have their progeny involved in the war effort.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:34 am
Have the opposition political parties broadcast continuously that the war is immoral and illegal, and that the government is corrupt, so as to undermine the will to fight among our soldiers, and to make the enemy believe that if they fight hard, the US may skulk away with its tail between its legs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:37 am
Quote:
so as to undermine the will to fight among our soldiers

Is there any evidence that this is, in fact, true?

That our soldiers have had their will undermined?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:39 am
Well, the war IS immoral and the government IS corrupt. But somehow if we all pretend otherwise, then everything would be okay?

Interesting logic.

And by interesting, I mean deeply flawed and kind of sad.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:40 am
So does this mean US soldiers have lost the will to fight?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:44 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Well, the war IS immoral and the government IS corrupt. But somehow if we all pretend otherwise, then everything would be okay?

Interesting logic.

And by interesting, I mean deeply flawed and kind of sad.

great post

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:56 am
Naturally, a continuous stream of statements against the validity of the war, to the effect that the president is a demon, and suggesting that we pull out immediately neither discourages our troops nor encourages those against whom we are fighting.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 02:53 pm
Brandon, so you think we should continue to fight a war that, according to the consensus of all of America's intelligence agencies, has emboldened our enemies and strengthened terrorism worldwide, because you feel that if we stop it will embolden our enemies and strengthen terrorism worldwide? Thank you, no. We've f*cked it up long enough. I will go with the consensus of intelligence agencies, not the consensus of your mind alone.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 02:58 pm
why is Brandon's last post dated Wed., 10/11, 12:56 am, when it's still Tuesday afternoon 10/10, and a post I just made after his post responding to it, with a post number later than his, is six posts back before his. Brandon is certainly a space cadet, but I find it hard to believe he's a time traveller too. What is going on here?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:12 pm
Some weird glitch with the server. I couldn't post all afternoon.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:23 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Naturally, a continuous stream of statements against the validity of the war, to the effect that the president is a demon, and suggesting that we pull out immediately neither discourages our troops nor encourages those against whom we are fighting.

So naturally, we should instead line up quietly behind our Fearless Leader and follow him off the precipice, but only after throwing our children over first. That should show those Islamofascist bastards! Hate our freedom, will they? We'll give up more freedom than they ever dreamt of! That'll prove just how free we are, er... were.

Oh, wait a minute. Maybe that's not the BEST and BRIGHTEST way to fight an idea...

Once again, interesting logic.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:15 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

So naturally, we should instead line up quietly behind our Fearless Leader and follow him off the precipice, but only after throwing our children over first. That should show those Islamofascist bastards! Hate our freedom, will they? We'll give up more freedom than they ever dreamt of! That'll prove just how free we are, er... were.

Oh, wait a minute. Maybe that's not the BEST and BRIGHTEST way to fight an idea...

Once again, interesting logic.

Not that you care enough to take the question seriously, but just for a laugh, please provide a link to the posts in which I've said these things you attribute to me.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:47 pm
Just for a laugh and for those apparently unfamiliar with the English language, or those simply too congenitally humorless to understand:

satire: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly...

Carry on. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:50 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Just for a laugh and for those apparently unfamiliar with the English language, or those simply too congenitally humorless to understand:

satire: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly...

Carry on. Rolling Eyes

Nice try, but you were attempting to combat an argument you couldn't defeat fairly by listing ideas, ostensbily mine, but that are not mine, and then declaring them wrong. It's a standard tactic of debaters who aren't very honest.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:58 pm
Good to see you're as full of crap as ever. But nice to see you try to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse... Or a straw man out of thin air....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:23 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Good to see you're as full of crap as ever. But nice to see you try to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse... Or a straw man out of thin air....

Of course. You said it in response to my post, quoting my post first, but you weren't attributing it to me:

blacksmithn wrote:

0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:52 pm
I can't even begin to untwist the grammar, let alone the logic in that one...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Nice to see you have seen the light and disagree with yourself now.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:55 pm
It is not a glitch. It is a time zone thing. Brandon is in Florida so are 4 or 5 hours ahead of California. If he posts 1 am it a new day while those in the west are still inthe old day at 10, 11 or 12 midnight.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:06 pm
No, it was a brief glitch. For a short while in there, everybody's new posts on all threads, except apparently mine, were posting eight or nine hours ahead of the actual (CDT, I think), time, as if they were in Eastern Europe somewhere. Mine came up as the correct CDT time, so was sorted chronologically back into the thread. Later the aberrant posts had their time corrected and the order shuffled again. It was very strange.
0 Replies