Why is this man not a terrorist?

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:55 am
Quote:
EL PASO, Texas (Reuters) - An anti-Fidel Castro militant accused of bombing a Cuban airliner in 1976 will remain detained on immigration charges after U.S. Justice Department lawyers on Thursday filed objections to a magistrate's recommendation that he be freed.

The lawyers called Luis Posada Carriles, 79, "an unrepentant criminal and admitted mastermind of terrorist plots and attacks on tourist sites."

But the government has stopped short of formally declaring him a terrorist, which would allow indefinite detention under post-September 11 anti-terrorism laws.

Posada's case has become a political problem for the U.S. administration because Cuba and Venezuela have declared him a terrorist for his suspected involvement in the bombing of the airliner en route to Cuba from Barbados in which 73 people were killed. They accuse the United States -- a long-time foe of Castro -- of a double standard in the war on terrorism.

Many Cuban-Americans consider him a "freedom fighter" against Castro's communist rule and they are an important U.S. voting bloc.

The U.S. government had until Thursday to respond to Magistrate Norbert Garney's finding last month that Posada, a naturalized Venezuelan originally from Cuba, must be released because time long ago expired for deporting him.

Posada has been held since May 2005 for illegally crossing the border from Mexico into Texas. Seven nations have refused U.S. requests to accept him. He argues he faces torture or worse if sent to Cuba or Venezuela.

Shortly after the filing of objections, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials informed Posada by letter that he will be held pending further consideration of his case.

"You remain a flight risk, danger to the community, and danger to the national security," the ICE letter said. "Your case may have serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States."

Posada's lawyer planned to file a response on Friday.

The former CIA operative, who trained with other Cuban exiles for the U.S.-sponsored "Bay of Pigs" invasion to overthrow Castro in 1961, is fighting his detention on the ground that U.S. laws require officials to release him within 90 days if they cannot find a safe place to deport him.

The time limit has been extended at the government's request to allow further court consideration.

Posada, who has been ill, has publicly renounced violence against Castro and has said all he wants is to go to Miami to live with his family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/05/AR2006100501448.html

Any ideas why this man would not be classified as a terrorist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 570 • Replies: 9
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:10 am
I think the article nailed with with "voting bloc."
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:10 am
Carriles is a terrorist, and should be extradited to Cuba. It is quite true he will likely be tortured to death, but that is the price of commiting terrorist acts in this case. "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time", Robert Blake.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:23 am
More here. It's an op-ed, though, and I haven't verified its sources. Very interesting reading.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:42 am
Also, it is apparent to me that "terrorist" is invoked only when the law dictates something inconvenient to the Administration.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:55 am
I wonder, does the US have a legal definition of the term "freedom fighter"?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:51 pm
Following a trail from the oped piece, I came across this lovely document.

http://www.tscm.com/CIA_PsyOps_Handbook.html

And something tells me that Osama binLaden has a copy. And maybe Hezbollah and Hamas too. It is a long but extremely interesting read.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
Lol!

I am surprised he has not been given a gun and support.

OUR terrorists are GOOD terrorists for the USA in many cases.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:24 pm
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield terrify me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:16 pm
Sounds like one to me, FreeDuck. Anyway, when it was all the rage to hijack airliners to Cuba, I seem to recall they always sent them back to us.
0 Replies