IM LOOKING FOR COMPLEX CELTIC KNOT DESIGNS

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:12 pm
Ive done a series of protraits of some Irish relatives and I wish to adorn the backgrounds with some Celtic knots or designs. Im interested in some very complex ones that I can scan and place as backgrounds to the portraits in a low contrast mode so the design wont be fully noticeable unless one really studies the portraits. ANY HELP all of you Druidic types??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:17 pm
anybody? Ive got a thin book on celtic designs but they are kinda trite
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:42 pm
Check out the images here. Is this what you're looking for? If not the knot (LOL!), give a more specific description of what you seek.

http://www.celtech.ca/info/images.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:10 pm
Here's another batch of images that would be good for background use.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/body_parts/body_adornment/tattoos/653679_celtic_knots.php?id=653679
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:21 pm
Thank you, I tried to paste one up with a light gray on a white background. It looks neat.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:13 pm
The knot motifs of Celtic art (aka Lombardian, Frankish or Old-Nordic) are Byzantine-Islamic in derivation and thus involve very complicated patterns, suggested originally by acanthus leaf tendrils, which are disposed inorganically on the surfaces.

It is a prime Magian motif and is hostile to the pictorial and to the portrait.

It is pure ornamentation, which is absent from Rembrandt who dealt in space and light patterns and the living human being in time.

I don't know much about it though but what I do suggests that as a background to a portrait it may be incongruous and the moreso if the subjects are still alive.

I'm not arguing fm. I'm simply offering what bit I know about it which isn't much. It suggests that a serious art critic would see your proposed background as an affectation and an assertion of pretty simplicity in your subjects which some might think lacks integrity. (Such as anyone who has read Joyce, Shaw etc).

Warts and all is what a sound materialist wants. Not this quasi-religious stuff.

Hope that helps. If not- just forget it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:03 pm
This site actually is a "living example" by itself.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:10 pm
farmerman, I have a dozen books with celtic knots, many of a complex nature, which I use as patterns for various scroll saw experimentation.

They look quite impressive when they are cut from wood and shaved down in the appropriate locations.

If my scanner worked I would post a few images from the magazines.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:19 pm
you can use my scanner
0 Replies