Discovered: the 500 missing masterpieces of J M W Turner

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 01:05 am
A global search by the Tate gallery has unearthed 500 lost works by JMW Turner. Some have never been seen in public; others have not been displayed since the death of possibly Britain's most important painter.

Discovered: the 500 missing masterpieces of J M W Turner

J M W Turner's first sketchbooks, filled with landscapes, showed the talent that would make him a founding father of English watercolours:

The painter of light who left a lasting impression

Link Tate Gallery:
Turner online
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 01:15 am
Really, Walter, this is wonderful....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 03:57 am
I went to an exhibition of his sketch books at the Tate a few years ago - it was WONDERFUL - they were so free and so contemporary. I would love to have a book on them.
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
This is off the subject a bit, but about 6 weeks ago I saw a painting on ebay billed as a Kahlo, Freda, and it certianly looked like her style and paintings which I had just reviewed in a bookat Barnes and Noble. It was a self portrait. It had one bid, for $500 and that was the start price, It was reported to have a small hole. did anybody see this and what do you think about it's authenticity?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Welcome to A2K, zincwhite!

Perhaps you'll get more attraction with your question, when you pose it in an own, separate thread.
0 Replies